Japanese Maples survive in Irvine?

BuddyLeo

Trying to decide if we should bring our Japanese Maples from the Midwest to Irvine. Do you think they will survive? I'm worried the hot dry climate will fry them.

Should be fine. Just make sure it is in target area of your sprinklers and gets some light watering each night in the summer. My parents have a Japanese maple in their side yard (facing south) so it gets sun almost the entire day. They live in North OC so it's warmer than Irvine. It's been 12 years and still growing strong.

BuddyLeo said:
Trying to decide if we should bring our Japanese Maples from the Midwest to Irvine. Do you think they will survive? I'm worried the hot dry climate will fry them.

I think you should. Do it when it's dormant. Ideally, plant in area where there's afternoon shade, but with ample watering, it should do OK even in full sun (maybe some leaf burn).

If you have the room, do a full-on maple tree! I had a variety called Autumn Fantasy and it did OK even with the heat of summer out in Riverside. This being Irvine, however, you may or may not have the room.

We have a Japanese Maple in our backyard.  It faces south/east.  It's planted in our corner of the yard so does get shade and dappled sun in late afternoon.  I wanted a Japanese Maple in our front yard, but as the front yard faces west- the master gardener I worked with was strongly opposed to it.  She said with the strong afternoon sun facing west, and lots of hardscape increasing the temps, the leaves would burn.  Even in our backyard, I see some leaf burn, so we definitely would have had this problem if we planted it with west exposure.

Back