Japanese Food => Teppanyaki

xoneinax_IHB

Located for years on Katella where it meets the 55 freeway, I have never been to this place : Shiki

I know Benihana is well known for Teppanyaki, but is Shiki any good ?

Or others around OC better ?

<a href="http://www.yelp.com/biz/shiki-restaurant-orange">http://www.yelp.com/biz/shiki-restaurant-orange</a>

Shiki has been there forever and a day. The owner is nice and tries hard to keep the staff in line. But business is way off and this place has suffered like all the locals. We used to go here once a month for Sushi. Its close to the office. But the last thing you want is a sushi place that is not turning over inventory. The last couple time we went this was obvious in the quality of the fish we were served. Personally I get a better deal over at Benihana`s Sushi Bar. Rock the Sushi Manager and I go back more than 20 years. Lots of freebies.

As far as Teppan. Shiki may be the better value. But the Teppan at Benihana is ALWAYS good.

Especially at the one on State College and Ball.

i agree that the quality has suffered. i used to go to shiki every month or so since i grew up in that area, but a bad experience about a yr or two ago made me never want to go back.

I am going to say something here that most people probably think but arent saying.

It all tastes the same. Any teppan I have ever had all. tastes. the. same.

The worst is leaving the restaurant and smelling like the restaurant you just ate at, until you wash your self, your hair and your clothes.

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1252405636]I am going to say something here that most people probably think but arent saying.

It all tastes the same. Any teppan I have ever had all. tastes. the. same.

The worst is leaving the restaurant and smelling like the restaurant you just ate at, until you wash your self, your hair and your clothes.</blockquote>

Not true - we went to Tokyo this summer, the teppan at Benihana's was actually much better than the teppan we had in Tokyo, not too mention benihana is much cheaper. We paid about $350 for two people in Japan.

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1252405636]

The worst is leaving the restaurant and smelling like the restaurant you just ate at, until you wash your self, your hair and your clothes.</blockquote>
It's worse after Korean BBQ.

I'm smelling kalbi/pugolgi for days... like it burned itself into the nose hairs.

Back