J. Zhou Oriental Cuisine (at the District, Tustin)

ps99472

http://www.yelp.com/biz/j-zhou-oriental-cuisine-tustinhttp://www.yelp.com/biz/happy-harbor-restaurant-rowland-heights

jzhou_zps9bdc92fc.jpg
jzhou1_zpsfb1f3712.jpg

Took over the empty corner lot across from Michaels/Homegoods.  Got a beef chow fun to go, it was almost $16!  That was the dinner portion price.  Taste was ok, needed a bit more salt.  But very clean tasting with none of that residual oily taste that kills most chow fun for me (if your lips are glistening, it's too oily).  Nice and bright restaurant, employee mentioned it's the same owner as Happy Harbor (yelp above).  Only have dim sum menu avail, they have it everyday, not just weekends.  The dinner menu book was impressive.  Lots of pics for all the seafood they have, will have to check out soon, maybe for Father's day.  Priced high for Chinese, cheapest dish (non appetizer) is $13 on the dinner menu.  Not exactly asian fusion, more modern Canto.  Pricing might kill this restaurant (non IUSD), only time will tell.  At least it's not PeiWei.

went there for dinner tonight.  can't believe the price. waaaaaaay overpriced. food is fresh and clean but don't know how they can compete with sam woo, capital, china garden. sauteed vegetables for $17??? each dish was on average $16-20 per. 

will try dim sum but have serious doubts that this place can survive in light of the price.

May be on a special occasion like when I need to impress my relatives and friends then I will go there to experience this rare combination of authentic Chinese food, ambiance and clean restrooms.

kalbi said:
went there for dinner tonight.  can't believe the price. waaaaaaay overpriced. food is fresh and clean but don't know how they can compete with sam woo, capital, china garden. sauteed vegetables for $17??? each dish was on average $16-20 per. 

will try dim sum but have serious doubts that this place can survive in light of the price.

I don't eat dinner at these restaurants a lot, but I seem to remember Samwoo, Capital and even China Garden are pretty pricey at dinner time.  $16~20.00 avg per dish seems to be about right for these places at dinner?

Raw pork.  Yup that was my Father's Day meal today, eating undercooked food.  Or was it Asian Fusion?  Siu Mai Sashimi anyone?  Fumbling waiters I expected, delays from the kitchen I expected, spotty service I expected, but a fucking dim sum chef that can't set a fucking timer?  This is a first.  Look at the yelp reviews above, two tables reported the same fucking issue.  TODAY.  SAME TIME.  And they keep serving it!  Got a measly 10% off when they should've comped the meal, unfortunately ate the Siu Mai first and killed my appetite.  If I get Trich from this I'm gonna go back and flip some tables!

311D1F0A-E7FB-4045-B71E-96E13FF1DAAD_zpsk2tb0vj7.jpg

I like my siu mai with a nice pink center

Went there for lunch last week and dim sum was quite pricey.  The place was packed for a weekday lunch.  The owner is a mainlanders who also owns Happy Harbor.  The General Manager is someone I know.  He said that they already held a wedding banquet on grand opening day.

I asked for their banquet menus and they had prices ranging from $498 to $9388 a table (standard 10 per table).

Food was clean and fresh when I was there and the tea was high quality grade. But price wise I wouldn't be able to return often.  Although the freshness of the ingredients is high but for the quantity ... I can't afford it. 

As for service I got excellent service as soon as the staff knew I was friends with the general manager.  Also I know some of the servers that are pulling double shifts at J. Zhou and other Irvine dim sum restaurants.  If it weren't for my connections I would have just received the standard mediocre service.

ZeroLot said:
I asked for their banquet menus and they had prices ranging from $498 to $9388 a table (standard 10 per table).

I want to know what's in that $9388 banquet menu.  If any wedding party serving that $9388/table banquet, I'm so crashing that wedding.

lnc said:
ZeroLot said:

I want to know what's in that $9388 banquet menu.  If any wedding party serving that $9388/table banquet, I'm so crashing that wedding.

Something about a lobster, 20 year aged abalone, and birds nest soup.  The rest is the usual seafood.

Valet parking for the guests to keep Caucasian shoppers from flipping the bird.

ZeroLot said:
lnc said:
ZeroLot said:

Something about a lobster, 20 year aged abalone, and birds nest soup.  The rest is the usual seafood.

Back