IUSD Music Program

irvinehomeowner

Okay... so I'm not really as high on IUSD as other parents are... I don't like the open campuses and I don't like the large class sizes... but I have to say that I was impressed by the Music Program.

It's not that it's so awesome and the best way to learn music (my wife tells me they had it when she went to school) but I like that IUSD makes it part of the academia and you even get a grade for it.

For 4th graders you have the option of 3 string instruments (violin, viola, cello) or taking voice. You have music class twice a week and of course there is homework/practice. Then there is 2 performances, a smaller winter one and a large spring one. In 5th grade, you can do wind instruments.

You don't have to buy your instrument, you can rent it from the IPSF (where the money goes back into the program) and the cost varies depending on the instrument (I think a viola is like $25/month).

I like that it's part of their school classes... not extracurricular... and that although it's not a one-on-one instruction, for the price of renting the instrument, it's very reasonable compared to private music classes.

I don't expect my kid to become the next Yo-Yo Ma from the IUSD music program but I had no idea they did this. I always wondered why so many kids were bringing instruments to school... I always thought they had a TigerMom who was forcing them to go straight from school their music teacher... but now I realize it's part of the school curriculum. So neat.

I'm actually not looking forward to this.  The thought of having to listen to my child practice sawing away on a squeaky violin or viola is sending shivers down my spine.  She's too tiny for a cello.  I'm going to be pushing her towards the voice lessons.  Tiger mom I am not.

Ugh, didn't think about that.  x2 for me.  Could be x3 eventually. :'(

Wasn't there a thread about soundproofing rooms some time ago?  I'm going to need it.  That crawl space under my old house in Washington state would have come in handy.  Basements would be good for this.

My neighbors won't like it either.

When I was renting my last house, the neighbor diagonally across from us was giving flute lessons out of their home all day long.  We could hear it but it wasn't too bad most of the time.  Except hearing the same scale practice over and over gets to you (I can still hear it in my head).  And, I knew I was eventually going to be moving.  But it must have driven some of the other neighbors crazy.
irvinenester said:
I'm actually not looking forward to this.  The thought of having to listen to my child practice sawing away on a squeaky violin or viola is sending shivers down my spine.  She's too tiny for a cello.  I'm going to be pushing her towards the voice lessons.  Tiger mom I am not.

What are you guys... cavemen?

You should enjoy the sound of music that children born of your DNA are making. I love it when my kids sing... my son does it in the shower and I always ask him to give me a encore when he gets out but then he gets all shy.

So... the bad part about this IUSD Music Program is the rental event.

3 hours and they got there at 8am when it opened. Good thing they got out of there before it got hot.

So, was there anything left to rent after 3 hours?

What kind of quality and condition are these rentals in?

I assume you have to change the strings and other accessories yourself?

Thank you.

irvinehomeowner said:
So... the bad part about this IUSD Music Program is the rental event.

3 hours and they got there at 8am when it opened. Good thing they got out of there before it got hot.

I didn't go myself but from what I was told it's broken up into several stages, the first you wait in line to get a number, the second you wait for your number to be called, the third is they call you and show you the instrument where they go over any issues (like checking out a rental car) and then the last is paying for it.

They are in good condition and from what we are told, it's usually the cellos they run out of because they have a fewer number of them. You could probably go int this week and rent without all the hassle but today was their first day of music instruction and we didn't want our kids showing up with an air viola. :)

Back