Is now a good time to buy?

99 is another lucky number for the Chinese.

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerology#Chinese_number_definitions">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerology#Chinese_number_definitions</a>

[quote author="graphrix" date=1249446501][quote author="bkshopr" date=1249444866][quote author="ocresident73" date=1249444378]Slightly off topic, but since it came up, does pricing with the 8's really work with the Asian folk? I guess I have a hard time believing that people are that gullible when you're talking about spending such large amounts of money. Just wondering...</blockquote>

Chinese bargaining tactic is to take the price down to the desired "88" notch but never higher to fulfill the "88" pricing.</blockquote>

So why is it the 99 Ranch Market and not the 89 Ranch Market?</blockquote>

99 Ranch was started by a vietnamese immigrant. 88 and other numbers were already taken in restaurants and other businesses. 99 is not a bad number either. It means enduring, longevity or long time. 99 also means near perfection with some room to grow to perfection.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1249447263]

99 Ranch was started by a vietnamese immigrant. 88 and other numbers were already taken in restaurants and other businesses. 99 is not a bad number either. It means enduring, longevity or long time. 99 also means near perfection with some room to grow to perfection.</blockquote>
Oh... so is that why there is a Pho99 too? If momopi ever opens a vietnamese noodle soup place... he should call it 1-2-3-Pho.

I dunno... I think 88 Ranch Market would have been a better marketing name. Hey... is that also why so many Chinese live in the 818 area code? Hmmm... Irvine has a 9<strong>4</strong>9 area code... but that still doesn't stop them.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1249448406][quote author="bkshopr" date=1249447263]

99 Ranch was started by a vietnamese immigrant. 88 and other numbers were already taken in restaurants and other businesses. 99 is not a bad number either. It means enduring, longevity or long time. 99 also means near perfection with some room to grow to perfection.</blockquote>
Oh... so is that why there is a Pho99 too? I momopi ever opens a vietnamese noodle soup place... he should call it 1-2-3-Pho.

I dunno... I think 88 Ranch Market would have been a better marketing name. Hey... is that also why so many Chinese live in the 818 area code? Hmmm... Irvine has a 9<strong>4</strong>9 area code... but that still doesn't stop them.</blockquote>

i used to live in the 818 area code and some made fuss when parts of it got changed to 626 (although 6 is also a lucky number)

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1249447263]

My first time at 99 was in college when my Vietnamese friend took me to the original one in Westminster, I believe it was then called Si?u Th? 99 Price Market. It was far more impressive than the Diho market that I was accustomed to. I asked him why it was called that and he said 99 is a lucky number in Vietnam. He also complained that most of Little Saigon was owned by Chinese merchants.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1249448406][quote author="bkshopr" date=1249447263]

Oh... so is that why there is a Pho99 too? If momopi ever opens a vietnamese noodle soup place... he should call it 1-2-3-Pho.

I dunno... I think 88 Ranch Market would have been a better marketing name. Hey... is that also why so many Chinese live in the 818 area code? Hmmm... Irvine has a 9<strong>4</strong>9 area code... but that still doesn't stop them.</blockquote>

Pho 99 was being investigated. its Irvine, Costa Mesa and other locations have already changed name but still being managed by the same people.

[quote author="irvine_grad" date=1249448926][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1249448406][quote author="bkshopr" date=1249447263]

Oh... so is that why there is a Pho99 too? I momopi ever opens a vietnamese noodle soup place... he should call it 1-2-3-Pho.

i used to live in the 818 area code and some made fuss when parts of it got changed to 626 (although 6 is also a lucky number)</blockquote>

Chinese do not like to live in cities with more than 4 syllables like San Bernadino, Santa Monica, and Santa Clarita. They have a hard time pronoucing words with more than 4 syllables. They prefer brands with 4 syllables or less.

Is there a Pho King? (Har har..) Or is would that not make it past some city ordinance or something? Seriously, I'm suprised I've never seen one even attempted somewhere.

[quote author="It?s a dry heat..." date=1249452413]Is there a Pho King? (Har har..) Or is would that not make it past some city ordinance or something? Seriously, I'm suprised I've never seen one even attempted somewhere.</blockquote>

DMV License Plate did not approve "I heart ToFu"

[quote author="It?s a dry heat..." date=1249452413]Is there a Pho King? (Har har..) Or is would that not make it past some city ordinance or something? Seriously, I'm suprised I've never seen one even attempted somewhere.</blockquote>

<a href="http://www.yelp.com/biz/pho-king-oakland">http://www.yelp.com/biz/pho-king-oakland</a>

Back