Is it safe to move into newly built house right after closing date?

newbbie

This is concerning the paint odor that COULD cause cancer if we move in right away. I heard this kind of incidence in China, not sure if here in the US they use safe paint...

Yes, it is safe to move in. Usually the painting has been completed several days/weeks prior to your closing date, and even if not, you should be fine.

IMO, unfiltered, recirculated office air is likely more hazardous to your health.

-IR2

newbbie said:
This is concerning the paint odor that COULD cause cancer if we move in right away. I heard this kind of incidence in China, not sure if here in the US they use safe paint...

You see this with Asian families mostly. They would open up all windows, even after moving in months after. Maybe it's really the concern for hazardous air or just to save electricity using mother nature AC, for a million + dollar home  ;)

jamboreedude said:
newbbie said:

You see this with Asian families mostly. They would open up all windows, even after moving in months after. Maybe it's really the concern for hazardous air or just to save electricity using mother nature AC, for a million + dollar home  ;)

Regardless of whether it's a $100k home or a $10M home, I'd rather open my windows than use the AC if there was a nice breeze.  The primary driver is not about saving money on electricity, but I believe it's just healthier.  In fact, most people in Germany don't use AC because they believe it's unhealthy and wasteful.

hrcp said:
Regardless of whether it's a $100k home or a $10M home, I'd rather open my windows than use the AC if there was a nice breeze.  The primary driver is not about saving money on electricity, but I believe it's just healthier.  In fact, most people in Germany don't use AC because they believe it's unhealthy and wasteful.
I think this also depends on whether you live by the landfill, the freeway or a noisy main road.

irvinehomeowner said:
hrcp said:
I think this also depends on whether you live by the landfill, the freeway or a noisy main road.

I don't see how it's more healthy considering all of the A/C now have HEPA filters. 

Also, you probably should avoid opening windows on a newly built house because of construction.

one of my neighbors didn't move in for 6 weeks.  I wonder if they were thinking the same thing

Back