Is it possible to negotiate some upgrade options price at the design studio

incognito

Is it possible to do any price negotiations at the builder's design studio? Or they already know they got you by the balls and so there's no reason for them to budge

incognito said:
Is it possible to do any price negotiations at the builder's design studio? Or they already know they got you by the balls and so there's no reason for them to budge
Not with Irvine homes.  Doesn't hurt to ask though.

I did it with lennars contractor but not sure with IP. Although, I think IP was cheaper already when I looked at my friends quote for similar upgrades.

incognito said:

No

One advice, don't be cheap, get upgrades especially in lighting/electrical. Upgrade the kitchen cabinets.

eyephone said:
incognito said:

No

One advice, don't be cheap, get upgrades especially in lighting/electrical. Upgrade the kitchen cabinets.

I'm not sure if that's black and white.  Some things are just worth going to an outside contractor for.  Things like cabinets and flooring though you might want to do up front to save the headache before move in.  You can do lights and paint outside for cheaper.

jmoney74 said:
eyephone said:
incognito said:

No

I'm not sure if that's black and white.  Some things are just worth going to an outside contractor for.  Things like cabinets and flooring though you might want to do up front to save the headache before move in.  You can do lights and paint outside for cheaper.

"Lights outside for cheaper" - the electrical warranty is voided if you get recess lights not through the builder. (Am I right?)

eyephone said:
jmoney74 said:
eyephone said:
incognito said:

No

"Lights outside for cheaper" - the electrical warranty is voided if you get recess lights not through the builder. (Am I right?)

I guess that will depend on your builder.

jmoney74 said:
eyephone said:
jmoney74 said:
eyephone said:
incognito said:

No

I guess that will depend on your builder.

In general - I believe if you make major changes to the electrical system (such as adding recess lights to all the bedrooms) the one year warranty for the electrical is voided.

thatOSguy said:
(house was vacant and wife is a realtor w/ a Supra key -- couldn't have done it otherwise).

I bought a lock box at Lowes for $20-$30. Almost the same as a supra key. note I am not a realtor. I just sit home and watch netflix. jkjk

Just comes down to what you value more. Time and convenience or straight cash homey.

incognito said:

Generally the answer is no.

But, it doesn't hurt to ask. Especially if something doesn't make sense. For example, in our new home purchase recently, we had an option of eliminating a bedroom and bathroom in favor of a master retreat instead (basically, get rid of bedroom/bathroom and in place turn it into a single room off the retreat). This was an added $6000 option. What? Getting rid of a bathroom costs $6000? (Complicating factor was that this option also included a larger-than-standard laundry room, but still.) So, we questioned it, and the builder re-evaluated their charges, and if I recall correctly, decreased the cost of this option by $2000 for everyone going forward (we were an early phase and the first one to choose this option). So, yes, sometimes it works.

That said, we also had the option of a slider or French doors for a certain door that was standard as a window but optioned as a door. For our added door, whether we went for a slider or French door was the same cost, which didn't make sense (since at another location a slider was standard but a French door was an added upgrade) but the builder stuck to their price so we opted for the French door for the same price as a slider.

Rarely will builders budge on their prices, but you might get lucky. That said, the more you do through the builder, the better. Especially if you have a builder with good customer service.

We recently bought a home with Lennar and were able to negotiate the costs of the design studio options but not the builder options.  Lennar used Vintage Designs for our flooring/window covers and we were able to get ~15% off our original quote.  After our initial quote, I asked for an itemized breakdown of their costs and told them a reputable outside contractor was ~35% cheaper for wood flooring and they eventually came back with a offer ~2000 below the original quote.  It was still about $3500 from the Venetian Flooring quote so we elected to go with Venetian instead.  Our Lennar options (cabinets, countertops, etc...) were not negotiable no matter how many times I asked...=P

The only drawback of doing things through the builder like flooring and cabinets, is that it adds to the house and your property tax will be based on this ongoing. 

I did not know adding recessed lighting after the fact, voids the warranty? 

lovingit said:
The only drawback of doing things through the builder like flooring and cabinets, is that it adds to the house and your property tax will be based on this ongoing. 

I did not know adding recessed lighting after the fact, voids the warranty?

So you think the builder should be responsible for the electrical after there were major modifications/changes made?

Back