Is it normal for an HOA to request this for a clubhouse rental????

scubasteve

I am currently trying to rent out my clubhouse and my HOA requires that I get general insurance to cover any liabilities that may occur.  I am fine with this, however, the HOA is specifically asking that the certificate specifically adds the property management company and also the association as additional insures.  My insurance says they cannot add the requested as an Additional Insured.

So I call my HOA to ask them to refer me to some insurance companies that they have worked with that do allow this and they said they can't give that info to me and that I basically cannot rent the club house out unless I change my home insurance provider to someone who can meet their requests.  Very fustrating.....  This is in Woodbury East btw....

This is the first time I've heard of something like this.

Your HOA fees should be paying into some insurance that covers liability usage of the clubhouse... very interesting.

Woodbury requires the same thing.  I had a friend rent out the facilities there.  They required 1,000,000 worth of coverage.  My friend had State Farm insurance and they were able to do it.  Not all insurance does it as you stated. 

So not only do newer communities have to pay MRs... but they have to pay insurance fees to use the facilities.

Soon they'll require homeowners to carry a policy to use the playgrounds, parks and pools.

irvinehomeowner said:
So not only do newer communities have to pay MRs... but they have to pay insurance fees to use the facilities.

Soon they'll require homeowners to carry a policy to use the playgrounds, parks and pools.

Another compelling reason to buy into a brand new Irvine community!

annabanana said:
Woodbury requires the same thing.  I had a friend rent out the facilities there.  They required 1,000,000 worth of coverage.  My friend had State Farm insurance and they were able to do it.  Not all insurance does it as you stated. 

Thank you so much.  I called up State Farm and they are familiar with this policy.  Now i have to see if they will let me purchase this one day policy without having to change over my entire home insurance (which I will probably do after I close on my refi).

EDIT: well State Farm said I basically have to switch over to their HO3 policy in order for them to be able to provide me with the one day coverage. 

I forgot to mention this but it doesn't have to be you that gets the insurance.  You can have a friend who is attending your event get the insurance for you as well.  They don't care where the insurance comes from.

$1,000,000 dollars in liability coverage ?  What are they expecting to happen while someone is renting out a party room /  BBQ area and why doesn't the HOA just carry this as part of their umbrella coverage ?

Back