Is it ever a good idea to have the selling agent represent the buyer too?

irvinian

I don't have my own realtor at this momoment and am interested in checking out a place. Any realtor here want to chime on this topic?

irvinian said:
I don't have my own realtor at this momoment and am interested in checking out a place. Any realtor here want to chime on this topic?
The topic has been covered before on IHB (http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5394/).  That being said, I personally believe that buyer's should be represented by their own agent as the primary fiduciary responsibility that the listing agent has is to the seller.  When listing agents have such a huge carrot in front of them (double commission) it can really bring out the worst in them.

usc..have you done any deals representing both the buyer and seller, and if so..did you feel you primarily represented the seller in that transaction? did it bring out the worst in you?

ocbuyer said:
usc..have you done any deals representing both the buyer and seller, and if so..did you feel you primarily represented the seller in that transaction? did it bring out the worst in you?
I've only had the experience of working on two transactions which I represented both the buyer and seller (including one at the moment).  I try my best to represent both sides the best that I can and throw up that Chinese wall of important information of the buyer and seller.  It definitely isn't the most comfortable situation for me, but I believe that I have managed it well.  That being said, I will not be getting a full double commission on the transaction so that takes away an potential incentive for me to turn into a typical pushy realtard and the cost savings of the lower total commission helped to bring the buyer and seller together on price.

irvinian said:

Regarding your thread title: In some instances, you don't even need one. 

If you find a place that interests you and seller is willing to part with it for a price you're willing to pay, you can easily make the deal happen.

What exactly are you looking for?

Back