Is $250 Per Sq. Ft. a Fair Price for a SFR in Irvine?

You both are right and there is no right or wrong answer. People without a degree are fearful of job change because of the resume process. Once they are working for a good company they are very good and loyal employee like your father who worked for the same company for 30 years. People with degree have many more opportunities and they will likely leave for better pay and career advancement.

Education is important to some extent. I got my master degree, but in my current job, I hardly use what I learned in graduate school. The irony is that my manager told me he might never be promoted to be a director because he doesn't have a master degree.

bkshopr,

You are right that there is no right of wrong answer here but nonetheless, being high school educated or with a terminal degree does is not the finality to how much a person makes (though most stats might say otherwise). Yet the question here is how you use what you learn. I am an educator and one thing I see that most students suffer is making the link between big picture issues to micro level day to day living. I see how most parents and teachers screw the kids up by narrowing their comprehension and application capabilities by guiding them to super specialized fields or not thinking out of the box. Take computer software, my adage is if you learn one software you learn it all. Why? because all the shortkeys are the same. Understanding fundamentals and making the link btw for eg how a bicycle works can translate to a automobile, pully systems etc. History is so crucial that you can draw a line on a specific year btw economics, social and political events and you can draw parallels everywhere. Your expertise in fengshui translates to architecture, chinese culture, ecology and environmental sciences. The possibilities are endless.

It goes back to the the basic nature of parents dumbing things down for kids when they are young. Stop telling telling babies that all flying winged objects are birds or planes, tell them its a crow or a boeing 777, they have so much more learning capacity than we give them credit for. I personally believe that I use everything I learn at my work place, if I don't, I will find a way to use it.

I second what swkin said. I think we all know that learning does not stop at the doors of a classroom. Also, like he is saying, learning anything will give you a set of what we call "transferable skills" that makes your experience valuable beyond your job description. Income does not define your intelligence. Drug dealers make good money I hear. Teachers do not. Who is smarter? Not that "smart" and "intelligent" have the same definition. I do not take issue with the idea that a formal education opens more doors for a person, only with the above statement that someone without one can not hold an intelligent conversation. Also being cultured is not the same thing as being intelligent. I do enjoy exotic food, theater, and the arts... I like to absorb as much as I can and is one reason I'm on this blog everyday... but I consider myself of just average intelligence. Also since I only have a measly associate's degree I guess that makes me only half as "intelligent" as someone with a bachelor's. You might find it funny that my husband has zero interest in any of those things. He has no interest in culture, loves pizza and Star Trek. Not very "worldly" yet has worked as a rocket scientist in guidance navigation on Delta Rockets with Boeing and now develops advanced thermal weapons technology. He can not hold an "intelligent" conversation about French cooking techniques like I can and I know nothing about science. Although we like to make assumptions it is very difficult to categorize people - you'll remember from your college psychology classes that categorizing people by making assumptions and lumping them into groups is a technique our little brains use to make it easier to find logic in this world.

i hate artsy fartsy hippie culture nonsense. they are archaic forms of expression that add little to no value for future life in outer space. the soundless vaccuum of space and the intense glare of the sun unprotected by the earth's atmosphere will make art and music irrelevant.

discipline and plain text is all our children will need to survive.

[quote author="acpme" date=1222481231]i hate artsy fartsy hippie culture nonsense. they are archaic forms of expression that add little to no value to future life in outer space. </blockquote>

I feel the same way about lawyers.

[quote author="24inIrvine" date=1222493336]No way, acpme never jokes. He would never ever mislead the IHB.</blockquote>

His April Fool's joke was the best ever...

[quote author="skek" date=1222387458][quote author="graphrix" date=1222354682]...No joke, you are reading posts from people who excelled at the worst of schools in the I.E. It's not the schools, it's the parents stupid...</blockquote>

<em>*skek looks at ipop..."is he talking about us?"*</em></blockquote>

LOL, quite possibly. My high school was one of the worst in the IE, so I qualify! My mother barely spoke English and my dad didn't get his college degree, an AA, until after he retired from the Navy. Basically, my life would have sucked had I not gotten A's in school (angry Chinese mom hell-bent on education syndrome) so I got A's in school. Hell, it ain't that hard in Berdoo...

[quote author="blackacre-seeker" date=1222401555]As to the athletics, especially for a boy, I'd be delighted if my son gets picked for his school's football team or basketball or whatever, this is how you become popular, well-adjusted, and form friendships that last a lifetime. </blockquote>

Strangely enough, I played football in high school for a bit (hard to keep up with it given my party schedule), and also played tennis, but the friendships I formed that lasted a lifetime came from academics, i.e. the honors program at my high school. I don't keep in touch with anyone I met via sports, but do with many of those I got to know while learning iambic pentamter in 9th grade... You can learn teamwork and leadership from well-designed academic programs as well. I think I learned way more about performing under pressure from Academic Decathlon and Mock Trial than I did from any sports.

[quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1222493568][quote author="24inIrvine" date=1222493336]No way, acpme never jokes. He would never ever mislead the IHB.</blockquote>

His April Fool's joke was the best ever...</blockquote>

Not sure if you caught my sarcasm, but thats what I was hinting at that "joke"

acme,

I think the word 'cultured' is totally misused in todays society. Everything has a culture, even ants. Culture basically means a set of shared attributes, be it behavior, values and interest. I get really irritated when the fancy euro-centric artsy ppl you loathe talk about how a certain foreign country has so much 'culture'. You can't quantify culture, redneck folks have 'eat anything on a stick fried' culture, asians have 'eat dog meat' culture, and monkeys 'have eat ants on a stick' culture. Just because we don't seek or see certain 'cultures' in action, does not mean there is none.

Going back to the original topic: I think Irvine Renter's estimates of price per sq. ft. for resale SFRs in Irvine ranging roughly from $225 to $300 is right on the money. Should we also take into account the JP Morgan Chase projection of 44-50% off the peak price?

This seems to be even more pessimistic estimate, since if use a 2500 sq. ft. SFR in Irvine that was going for 1M during the peak (think Oak Creek) as an example, and now selling for around 800K, according to Irvine Renter, it should cost 562-750K and according to JP Morgan it would go for 440K-500K. It just seems hard for me to adopt the JP chase's estimate, since 400-500K for a good size SFR in Irvine is a price yet to be seen... Many people still remember the bubble prices, so if they see SFRs of that size selling for even 600K, they would jump right on them and think it is a bargain and that would allow the prices to stay in that area without falling down any further.

I wish people would just stop buying for a while so the prices would come down to the JP chase's estimates :)

Dig this folks: I went to see this property in Oak Creek, here is the linky:http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/Undisclosed-address-92618/home/12465078

The seller's agent told me that it is a short sale and there is already a <strong>800K cash offer </strong>on this property in addition to 6 others from 750K up...(do you think he is bluffing?) I guess the bottom is nowhere near yet where people are willing to pay 800K cash for this house. It is not a bad house, has potential and in fairly good condition, but needs lots of work like flooring, hardscaping, and so on. So I would be willing to pay 550K-600K for this because I'd have to spend another 100K fixing it.

Well, I'll just keep looking, I guess I don't stand a chance to win this bidding war with what I can afford to spend...

[quote author="blackacre-seeker" date=1222675314]Dig this folks: I went to see this property in Oak Creek, here is the linky:http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/Undisclosed-address-92618/home/12465078

The seller's agent told me that it is a short sale and there is already a <strong>800K cash offer </strong>on this property in addition to 6 others from 750K up...(do you think he is bluffing?) I guess the bottom is nowhere near yet where people are willing to pay 800K cash for this house. It is not a bad house, has potential and in fairly good condition, but needs lots of work like flooring, hardscaping, and so on. So I would be willing to pay 550K-600K for this because I'd have to spend another 100K fixing it.

Well, I'll just keep looking, I guess I don't stand a chance to win this bidding war with what I can afford to spend...</blockquote>

All the agents told me exactly this same thing. It's time to walk away, IMHO.

PS: I have a friend who was pressured to buy a house by the exact same line and this person is now under $200K.

[quote author="blackacre-seeker" date=1222675314]Dig this folks: I went to see this property in Oak Creek, here is the linky:http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/Undisclosed-address-92618/home/12465078

Well, I'll just keep looking, I guess I don't stand a chance to win this bidding war with what I can afford to spend...</blockquote>

That's kind of low actually for the amount of cash deals. According to <a href="http://irvinerealtorsite.com/">IR2's site</a>, for sure there were 12 cash deals, and we don't have the details on all of August yet. Having 6 offers is where I call BS, and they could be BSing about the cash deals too. They probably don't know that cash deals in Irvine are normally around that every month.

Back