Irvine Unified Plans No budget Cuts - Thank Irvine Company

irvine123_IHB

For those who always complain about the Irvine company, and think there is no difference between IUSD and TUSD, think twice. TUSD 's 1st grade class size will increase by 20%, 30% for 2nd and 3rd grade. All of this will just make irvine real estate more in demand then TUSD, etc.

Irvine company's support is cited by the school district officals as one of the reasons that IUSD this year will have no cuts.

Irvine Unified plans no budget cuts for 2008-10

But 164 layoff notices sent to temporary teachers.

By ERIKA CHAVEZ

The Orange County Register

Comments 0| Recommend 0

Irvine Unified will make no cuts to this year's budget, in contrast to most other area school districts slashing millions from their budgets.

The district did send out 164 layoff notices to temporary teachers, a standard annual practice. Most years, the majority of the teachers don't actually get laid off, said district spokesman Ian Hanigan. The deadline to let teachers know whether the layoffs will stick is May 15.

District officials are anticipating a $7 million shortfall in categorical funds for the 2009-10 school year, but some of that deficit might be offset by the categorical flexibility that has been offered as part of the state's recently adopted budget. That means the district might be able to move money around from different funds to cover the shortfall, a practice that was previously prohibited.

Unlike neighboring school districts, Irvine Unified will not cut any administrative or classified positions, and class sizes won't increase. District officials credit the unflagging support of the Irvine Public Schools Foundation, the Irvine Co. and the city of Irvine for the district's relatively stable financial footing.

Another factor is the district's transition into a different funding model, in which Irvine Unified would forgo state funds altogether in favor of local property taxes.

Superintendent Gwen Gross said with the projected statewide cuts, it now appears IUSD will move into a "local funding" model, often referred to as "Basic Aid." In Basic Aid districts, the local property tax revenue is relied upon to fund school needs because it exceeds what the district would receive from the state. The Laguna Beach and Newport-Mesa districts have long operated under this funding model and Basic Aid districts tend to have more stable budgets.

Laguna Beach is making no cuts and no layoffs this year, and Newport-Mesa plans no layoffs and $8.2 million in cuts.

Irvine school board members will further discuss potential teacher reductions at a March 18 budget study session, but Hanigan said district officials believe the majority of those who received layoff notices will be back next year. The board will vote on any reductions at an April 7 meeting.

The district will likely adopt a final budget at a June 23 board meeting.

While the district is on relatively sound financial footing for now, the future will hold challenges. Irvine Unified expects to fall back into a "revenue limit" formula in 2010-11, which means it would once again be reliant on state funds. That could translate into a $10 million shortfall without corrective action.

[quote author="irvine123" date=1236921998]For those who always complain about the Irvine company, and think there is no difference between IUSD and TUSD, think twice. TUSD 's 1st grade class size will increase by 20%, 30% for 2nd and 3rd grade. All of this will just make irvine real estate more in demand then TUSD, etc.

Irvine company's support is cited by the school district officals as one of the reasons that IUSD this year will have no cuts.

By ERIKA CHAVEZ

Comments 0| Recommend 0

Irvine Unified will make no cuts to this year's budget, in contrast to most other area school districts slashing millions from their budgets.

The district did send out 164 layoff notices to temporary teachers, a standard annual practice. Most years, the majority of the teachers don't actually get laid off, said district spokesman Ian Hanigan. The deadline to let teachers know whether the layoffs will stick is May 15.

District officials are anticipating a $7 million shortfall in categorical funds for the 2009-10 school year, but some of that deficit might be offset by the categorical flexibility that has been offered as part of the state's recently adopted budget. That means the district might be able to move money around from different funds to cover the shortfall, a practice that was previously prohibited.

Unlike neighboring school districts, Irvine Unified will not cut any administrative or classified positions, and class sizes won't increase. District officials credit the unflagging support of the Irvine Public Schools Foundation, the Irvine Co. and the city of Irvine for the district's relatively stable financial footing.

Another factor is the district's transition into a different funding model, in which Irvine Unified would forgo state funds altogether in favor of local property taxes.

Superintendent Gwen Gross said with the projected statewide cuts, it now appears IUSD will move into a "local funding" model, often referred to as "Basic Aid." In Basic Aid districts, the local property tax revenue is relied upon to fund school needs because it exceeds what the district would receive from the state. The Laguna Beach and Newport-Mesa districts have long operated under this funding model and Basic Aid districts tend to have more stable budgets.

Laguna Beach is making no cuts and no layoffs this year, and Newport-Mesa plans no layoffs and $8.2 million in cuts.

Irvine school board members will further discuss potential teacher reductions at a March 18 budget study session, but Hanigan said district officials believe the majority of those who received layoff notices will be back next year. The board will vote on any reductions at an April 7 meeting.

While the district is on relatively sound financial footing for now, the future will hold challenges. Irvine Unified expects to fall back into a "revenue limit" formula in 2010-11, which means it would once again be reliant on state funds. That could translate into a $10 million shortfall without corrective action.</blockquote>
Yup, good old greedy Irvine Company...having all the Irvine homeowners and renters, including the ones who dont have kids, subsidizing the school system. Good old Donny Boy deserves a metal. haha

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1236924528][quote author="irvine123" date=1236921998]For those who always complain about the Irvine company, and think there is no difference between IUSD and TUSD, think twice. TUSD 's 1st grade class size will increase by 20%, 30% for 2nd and 3rd grade. All of this will just make irvine real estate more in demand then TUSD, etc.

By ERIKA CHAVEZ

Comments 0| Recommend 0

While the district is on relatively sound financial footing for now, the future will hold challenges. Irvine Unified expects to fall back into a "revenue limit" formula in 2010-11, which means it would once again be reliant on state funds. That could translate into a $10 million shortfall without corrective action.</blockquote>
Yup, good old greedy Irvine Company...having all the Irvine homeowners and renters, including the ones who dont have kids, subsidizing the school system. Good old Donny Boy deserves a metal. haha</blockquote>

He lost a $ billions but still moved up to the top 20 spots of the Forbes list.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1236924528]

Yup, good old greedy Irvine Company...having all the Irvine homeowners and renters, including the ones who dont have kids, subsidizing the school system. Good old Donny Boy deserves a metal. haha</blockquote>

you can always vote with you feet and live in Tustin or Santa Ana?

I can rent a cheap IAC apartment and rent out my address to all IHBers who want their kids to attend Irvine Schools but do not want to pay high Irvine home prices. My daughter goes to a good school and I have no HOA and Mello Roo. I use the money to pay for a house with plenty of sideyards.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1236926321]I can rent a cheap IAC apartment and rent out my address to all IHBers who want their kids to attend Irvine Schools but do not want to pay high Irvine home prices.</blockquote>

fraud...

[quote author="irvine123" date=1236926570][quote author="bkshopr" date=1236926321]I can rent a cheap IAC apartment and rent out my address to all IHBers who want their kids to attend Irvine Schools but do not want to pay high Irvine home prices.</blockquote>

fraud...</blockquote>

I am already many years too late for this scheme. Others have already done it.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1236926723][quote author="irvine123" date=1236926570][quote author="bkshopr" date=1236926321]I can rent a cheap IAC apartment and rent out my address to all IHBers who want their kids to attend Irvine Schools but do not want to pay high Irvine home prices.</blockquote>

fraud...</blockquote>

I am already many years too late for this scheme. Others have already done it.</blockquote>

we should report them, and put them in jail or put them back on the boat or Econo Van they came from.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1236924528]

That's one of the reasons I'll buy a house in Irvine. Kidless shleps like you, paying high IAC rents, will help support a good education for my boys...

When boy starts K in September, I will say a silent thank you to my friend SC.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1236927307][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1236924528]

That's one of the reasons I'll buy a house in Irvine. Kidless shleps like you, paying high IAC rents, will help support a good education for my boys...

When boy starts K in September, I will say a silent thank you to my friend SC.</blockquote>

Me too will say a silent thank you to SC!

BTW, IPO what did you and your wife decided to do with the afternoons for your KGer? school finishes at 1120am. KG registration startes tomorrow.

[quote author="irvine123" date=1236927673][quote author="ipoplaya" date=1236927307][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1236924528]

When boy starts K in September, I will say a silent thank you to my friend SC.</blockquote>

Me too will say a silent thank you to SC!

BTW, IPO what did you and your wife decided to do with the afternoons for your KGer? school finishes at 1120am. KG registration startes tomorrow.</blockquote>

Going with the on-campus Rainbow Rising. Hoping to actually get the afternoon K session so the mornings are more leisurely and my son isn't with the older kids all afternoon... My midget will go FT preschool starting in Sep so we'll be sans nanny for the first time in 3+ years. Oy the laundry is going to pile up!

[quote author="irvine123" date=1236926867][quote author="bkshopr" date=1236926723][quote author="irvine123" date=1236926570][quote author="bkshopr" date=1236926321]I can rent a cheap IAC apartment and rent out my address to all IHBers who want their kids to attend Irvine Schools but do not want to pay high Irvine home prices.</blockquote>

fraud...</blockquote>

I am already many years too late for this scheme. Others have already done it.</blockquote>

we should report them, and put them in jail or put them back on the boat or Econo Van they came from.</blockquote>

There are many cars from the freeway off ramps heading to Irvine schools in the morning. I know at least 6 families living in South County and their kids attend Uni High by using their relative's address. Schools do not enforce the validity of address and many do want good schools but do not want to pay for it.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1236928090]

There are many cars from the freeway off ramps heading to Irvine schools in the morning. I know at least 6 families living in South County and their kids attend Uni High by using their relative's address. Schools do not enforce the validity of address and many do want good schools but do not want to pay for it.</blockquote>

Beginning with the new school year, IUSD is supposed to start checking addresses for all continuing students, not just new registrants. Parents will need to supply proof of address via a utility bill, pay stub, etc. every year supposedly. This will make it a smidge harder to cheat the enrollment.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1236928199][quote author="bkshopr" date=1236928090]

There are many cars from the freeway off ramps heading to Irvine schools in the morning. I know at least 6 families living in South County and their kids attend Uni High by using their relative's address. Schools do not enforce the validity of address and many do want good schools but do not want to pay for it.</blockquote>

Beginning with the new school year, IUSD is supposed to start checking addresses for all continuing students, not just new registrants. Parents will need to supply proof of address via a utility bill, pay stub, etc. every year supposedly. This will make it a smidge harder to cheat the enrollment.</blockquote>

Separate Cable, IRWD Water, Waste Management, Cell Phone, Gas, Edison, Phone, and Internet service would be perfect for 8 different relatives. They may actually pay for the utility service in their name as a gratitude of $30/month for their children attending Irvine schools.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1236929332]Why send layoff notices to all those temp teachers if they know they aren't going to stick?

Isn't that kind of mean?</blockquote>

One the teachers at Uni got a letter recently that basically said "Congratulations, you are doing great and are up for tenure next year" and went on to read essentially "Since you are at-will teacher you will be getting your layoff notice soon and may might not have a job next year"...

They raise you up and smack you right back down within the span of a few sentences.

My neice used her grandparents address to attend a better school (not in Irvine). When the school finally caught on they sent someone to the grandparent's home at 5am to see if she really lived there. When the inspector showed up and saw there was no little girls room in the house nor my neice the school booted back to her home school.

Impacted schools in LA school personnel do visit the child's home and they often target the Hispanics. In Irvine schools they look the other way because the illegal Chinese kids help raise school test scores. Irvine schools do not want to send away the smart kids.

[quote author="irvine123" date=1236921998]For those who always complain about the Irvine company, and think there is no difference between IUSD and TUSD, think twice. TUSD 's 1st grade class size will increase by 20%, 30% for 2nd and 3rd grade. All of this will just make irvine real estate more in demand then TUSD, etc.

While I am not happy that there is a *possibility* of 24 students in my little girls 1st grade class at Myford next year (as opposed to the 20 she would have had if we stayed in IUSD at her current Westpark Elem), I have zero regrets about moving from an aging IUSD school getting mediocre 900 API score, to Myford which is still sparklng new and modern and a 940 API score. And if she ends up getting overflowed out of Myford, it will be to Ladera ---- with its dismal 953 API. I'm pretty sure she won't be heading off to prison anytime soon due to her 1st grade TUSD experience. And do not underestimate the ability of a motivated parent base and PTA to make up funding gaps for important programs....

Don't get me wrong, our Kinder year in the IUSD school district was just fine, and by no means am I trying to bash IUSD. Just remember that the quality of the schools has much, much more to do with the quality and interest of the parents, as opposed to the district. IUSD excels because of the people who live in its borders, not because of what anybody with a budget pen at 5050 Barranca Pkwy does. Same goes for each of the Irvine/Tustin Ranch TUSD schools. We moved out of IUSD without hesitation, only to find our neighbors already attending TUSD schools just as enthusiastic about their district, school, and the education of their child. And just to note, TWICE now Westpark Elem has offered us the option to remain at its school in IUSD, despite our TUSD address. They said they will have the space, all we needed was to get a release from TUSD. Both times we thanked them for their offer, and turned them down.

What happens next year when the property tax base in IUSD falls off the cliff? Is this just a one year delay of the inevitable?

Back