Irvine Unified now requiring annual proof of residency

<a href="http://irvinehomes.freedomblogging.com/2009/06/03/irvine-schools-in-the-news/">100 families admitted to fraudulent enrollment, and 5000 families still not completed their paperwork before May 31st deadline.</a>

Expected fraudulent rate is 5-20% out of more than 25,000 students.

Well- hopefully my daughter will be let into the school that she is supposed to go to (stonecreek) and not sent anywhere else because of potential crowding! I am still waiting for a final answer from them.

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1244119244]<a href="http://irvinehomes.freedomblogging.com/2009/06/03/irvine-schools-in-the-news/">100 families admitted to fraudulent enrollment, and 5000 families still not completed their paperwork before May 31st deadline.</a>

Expected fraudulent rate is 5-20% out of more than 25,000 students.</blockquote>

I just read the article and did not take it to mean that 100 families have fraudulently enrolled. The article says, "May 30th was the deadline to provide proof of residency; while 5,000 students had not yet done so as of June 1st, only 100 families have thus far admitted to living outside the district." So isn't is possible that they could have lived in Irvine when they enrolled then moved during the school year? The term "admitted" was used by the writer as though it's an admission of guilt. I think it could just mean they no longer reside here but aren't necessarily trying to provide fraudulent residency verification. If they lived here at the time they enrolled then it wasn't fraudulent. I'm not saying the fraud isn't possible but it seems believable enough that "fewer than 100 families" out of 26,000 moved sometime during the course of the school year. What do you guys think - how did you read this to mean? BTW I am not clear on the IUSD policy of what happens if you do move outside the district during the year - if you can stay and finish or not. I have tried to find out in the past and have not received a clear answer.

Back