Irvine turning into ghetto?

My dad doesn't even know what a driveway is.  :-X

Gonna sit outside on the CURB in CS tonight and ponder about this.

density is not the answer...

tustin has a wierd zoning mechinism too... its not the typical "low" "middle" or "high" density zoning (ie by headcount)... they actually zone by "single family residence", "multi-family", etc...
http://www.tustinca.org/departments/commdev/documents/planningandzoning/Zoning-MAP.pdf

heres the key...
http://library.municode.com/HTML/11307/level3/ART9LAUS_CH2ZO_PT2REDI.html

so if this is the case, tustin actually has more strict zoning then irvine where it even dictates how much set back a home can have to qualify for that zone and even a minimum lot size...

wierd right? but dunno... let me know when u find out what it is... it might just be small subtle things like the paint pallet they use for the home exteriors, pavers vs concrete vs paved driveways, or just the type of plants they use for landscaping... i mean i know irvine spends tons of water to water the landscape, maybe they just chose plants that dont require as frequent watering so they look skinnier/dryer? dunno... haha im curious too

nosuchreality said:
H        O        M        E        R said:
I don't know what it is.. but its bugging me inside... I have to find out lol

Density.

but while we are speaking of low income... i drive by the low income apts on laguna canyon road all the time these days... that seems like pretty good living conditions for low income... srsly irvine low income get it pretty damn good compared to some of the projects in other cities ive seen...

im telling you, part of it is the lack of grand entrance.  in woodbury, you drive in on any of the entrances and you have a nice landscaped median, two lanes of traffic going each way, next to the sidewalk is a long wall (on the other side is the backyards of the home) - so you dont see homes right away when you turn into the neighborhood. in columbus square, you turn in off of Kensington and bam! to your left is an apartment style complex (condos) and to your right is the 55+ apartment community.

qwerty said:
im telling you, part of it is the lack of grand entrance.  in woodbury, you drive in on any of the entrances and you have a nice landscaped median, two lanes of traffic going each way, next to the sidewalk is a long wall (on the other side is the backyards of the home) - so you dont see homes right away when you turn into the neighborhood. in columbus square, you turn in off of Kensington and bam! to your left is an apartment style complex (condos) and to your right is the 55+ apartment community.

A couple of things to add

1)  The community is not complete so you have a giant stretches of open/undeveloped land.  You see the buildings/houses from afar and empty land.  Has a desert like feel.

2)  Lack of vegetation...not as much of an issue in Columbus Grove as it is in CS but there is just not enough vegetation (mostly trees) in both.  Woodbury has a great mix of vegetation to give it a more "shaded" look.  Stonegate looks barren right now but will be nice in 4-5 years.

3)  lack of commercial space.  When I drive through West Irvine/CG/CS, I see rows upon rows of houses and road.  TIC did a good job of putting in commercial center in between house to break up the look.  PS suffers from the same rows of houses look.

Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:

A couple of things to add

1)  The community is not complete so you have a giant stretches of open/undeveloped land.  You see the buildings/houses from afar and empty land.  Has a desert like feel.

2)  Lack of vegetation...not as much of an issue in Columbus Grove as it is in CS but there is just not enough vegetation (mostly trees) in both.  Woodbury has a great mix of vegetation to give it a more "shaded" look.  Stonegate looks barren right now but will be nice in 4-5 years.

3)  lack of commercial space.  When I drive through West Irvine/CG/CS, I see rows upon rows of houses and road.  TIC did a good job of putting in commercial center in between house to break up the look.  PS suffers from the same rows of houses look.

i think once the tustin ranch road/valencia loops are finished there should be an uptick on development.  the Standard Pacific homes (to be built just northeast of costco)  are being held up by the street/road infrastructure not being complete.  but it is till going to take 10-15 years for the whole area to be developed. they are making good progress though on both the valencia loop and tustin ranch road extensions. they already started laying down asphalt just north of costco for the valencia loop.

qwerty said:
im telling you, part of it is the lack of grand entrance.
So it needs something like this:

azjdwl.jpg

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
im telling you, part of it is the lack of grand entrance.
So it needs something like this:

azjdwl.jpg

now that is what im talking about.  i will submit this to the HOA, ill pay for the cost of it myself if they agree to put it up.

In both Columbus and CS, they have a higher ratio of attached homes to detached homes compared to the older (2009) built Irvine complexes.

Woodbury, including the apartment complex sits on 636 acres and has 4270 housing units.  Density is 6.7 units/acre.

Columbus Square is an average density of 10/acre.  That's basically 50% higher density than Woodbury.

Columbus Grove is an average density of 7/acre.
Tustin Field I is an average density of 13/acre.
While Tustin Field II is lower density is it much smaller and the very high density TF1 is adjacent making it feel denser.

nosuchreality said:
In both Columbus and CS, they have a higher ratio of attached homes to detached homes compared to the older (2009) built Irvine complexes.

Woodbury, including the apartment complex sits on 636 acres and has 4270 housing units.  Density is 6.7 units/acre.

Columbus Square is an average density of 10/acre.  That's basically 50% higher density than Woodbury.

While Tustin Field II is lower density is it much smaller and the very high density TF1 is adjacent making it feel denser.

TF is the worst...nothing better than tightly packed 3 story buildings lined up next to an high speed overpass.

What is the ratio for Cypress Village and Stonegate?

For Stonegate, I can't find the acreage of the site, using google maps, I see the whole area is roughly .6 miles by .9 miles.  The plan for Stonegate is 2000 units which would make a density of 5.97.

Not sure on Cypress village, I think the current build-out is pretty dense, I'd guesstimate same area, but the plan according to this thread here is 3500 units of which close to 1800 are apartments.

Including the apartments, that's a density of 10, like Columbus Square and still 30% lower than TF1.

icic... hmm interesting... what about the density for the communities that only have single family homes? what do u think would be the density for those? i see a few chunks in the zoning map... or are those not built yet and just pre-zoned for the future? cause the unique way they do zoning, those areas zoned for single family homes only should have pretty large lot sizes (they cant pull an IP and do these short set backs n zero lots lol)?

dunno... i only went to tustin to home shop once... actually forgot which community i went to check out... but i just remembered it was kinda bleak there, i didnt think much of it and thought it was just cause the community was new... but if its bleak all throughout then i can understand why could be not appealing to some...

nosuchreality said:

I already live in the ghetto part of Irvine but thank goodness I grew on the tough streets of Huntington Beach which toughened me up to be able to live in the ghetto.  :p

furioussugar said:
Gavin Huntley Fenner wrote a response to the LA Times article published today in the opinion section http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion...sday-poverty-schools-20130523,0,7990710.story

(I apologize I could not get the actual response to paste here)

You mean...

The impact of the last recession was so deep and broad, no place was unaffected. The number of homeless, hungry and uninsured schoolchildren has grown sharply in Orange County schools, even in districts like Irvine.

Back