Irvine trivia

almon_IHB

I learned a lot about the city of Irvine from this blog. So I was driving home today, and it hit me, "Hey let me start a thread to let everyone throw out their favorite Irvine trivia questions, and see if it'll stick..."

So I'll start with one question, and I don't know the answer to it. I'm relying on you to come up with answers collectively:

<em>Where is the longest stretch of local road in Irvine without any traffic lights or stop signs?<strong> </strong></em>But there's so much land in North Irvine that is undeveloped, let me re-phrase this question:

<strong><em>Where is the longest stretch of local road in Irvine south of Highway 5 without any traffic lights or stop signs?

</em></strong>My guess is either Culver between 73 and Campus where I was driving today, or Jamboree between Irvine Center Drive and Highway 5. What do you think?

<p>It can't be the Culver/73/Campus route due to the traffic light at Shady Canyon Rd.</p>

would you consider Jamboree between Barranca and the light at the Fitness Club right before I-5 to be a local road? If so, that's a long stretch.

OK, here's one: When and for how much did James Irvine acquire what is now the Irvine Ranch?

Bonus question: When and for how much did Don Bren's consortium pay for the Irvine Company?

Hmm... Maybe if you can break that amount out separately, e.g., "they originally paid . . . , but later Bren settled his suit with JIS for $___."

<p>James Irvine first won the deed to a portion of Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana in 1868. He bought out his partners in 1878 for $155,000 bringing the size of his ranch to 110,000 acres.</p>

<p>*edit: Irvine first paid for the land in 1864, but the title was in dispute until 1868, per the Irvine company's website.</p>

I would also guess that stretch of Jamboree before the 5.

How about this: What is the oldest still operating retail establishment in Irvine?

<p>Eva,</p>

<p>All I could find via google was this: <a href="http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:EYGEbSian3QJ:supreme.justia.com/us/73/589/case.html+stearns+land+grant&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=us">Stearns vs. US</a></p>

<p>Able Stearns had already sold the land to the partnership formed by Bixby, Flint, and Irvine but the original title was in dispute (see the <a href="http://www.sos.ca.gov/archives/level3_ussg3.html">California Land Act</a> ) until the SCOTUS confirmed it. </p>

<p>*edited for details </p>

Back