Irvine: TOO MANY stuck up neighbors!!!

OK... I've gotten my second "parking violation warning" from IPD in 6 months. I came home from dinner last night, at midnight, and today, at 1pm, i see this orange parking violation envelope on my window. Apparently one of my neighbors, I don't know who, told IPD that I've been parked in front of their house for more than 72 hrs (72 hrs the rule for parking on public streets in irvine).

This is the 3rd time in a year. I currently have 1 car, and at times I own more than that, I park it inside my warehouse. My neighbors prefer passive-aggressive by lying to the police. Funny thing is, I have a dozen employees and 2 trusty security cameras aimed at my parking spot at the office.

The neighborhood is northwood, houses are very close to the street, only 1 in 4 have driveways, and average of 2 street spaces every 3 houses. Some driveways are very close to each other so you cant park in between. You also can't park on a stub driveway (blocks sidewalk). Every night, the street gets PACKED with cars. I'm always the last one in, sometimes I have to park a block away.

WTF is wrong with these guys?

<p>IPD seems to have an issue with this. I got one for parking on Santa Ynez after 36 hours. They aren't checking carefully enough.</p>

<p>Contest it. I got out of mine. They even wrote a letter back to me. </p>

<p>Definitely contest it. When I called IPD about someone, the car had been there for at least two months w/o moving, but the dispatcher just took my word for it.</p>

<p>[And yes, I know . . . but the car was parked right on the corner and was obstructing the view of oncoming traffic.]</p>

I assume that you have a garage that you don't park in? I guess I am probably one of those evil neighbors. Street parking should be for guests. Most HOAs in Irvine dictate that you use your garage for your cars and forbid using it as storage. Park in the garage and you wont ever have this issue.

I didn't realize there was a law against it. I have seen two locations in Irvine where people live who collect classic cars. These cars are permanently parked in the street under cover. One of these was even in Woodbury which surprised me.

<p>What happens when a family has 3 or 4 cars then? Is there some rule within the HOA, or Irvine for that matter, that prohibits vehicle ownership beyond 2 vehicles in this case?</p>

<p>I got a friend over at Woodbury who just went on vacation. He has his parent's Camry and wife's minivan in his garage, but he also left his family SUV on street parking. Does this mean that he will be cited and/or towed, even when his garage is parked with 2 vehicles? Isn't this rather unfair to those who have more than 2 people driving within the family?</p>

The usual rule is that as long as you have at least one of your cars in the garage, you are okay to park the others on the street as long as you don't violate any city laws such as the 72 hour limit. Having no cars in the garage at all with cars on the street is where you get fined by the HOA. At least that is the case here in Woodbridge and Turtlerock condo areas.

Some HOAs have rather draconian rules around parking. A friend of mine lived in a condo complex in Anaheim Hills where they had a parking patrol come out every night and issue fines/tow cars. The HOA at my complex in Irvine tried to implement the same thing. I was fired up about it and apparently so were many of my neighbors. Everyone showed up at the HOA meeting to voice their displeasure and the changes were not approved.

At one extreme, you have people who park both (and their only) cars in their garage and rarely have tons of people over (adding more cars to the community). On the other hanf, you also have people who park no cars in their garage and may use their whole garage as storage or as a rental.

Where my parents live, you can't have a car parked on the street between 2 and 6 am without a permit. I believe that they will issue one permit to a homeowner, but not more. Supposedly the law was enacted as a crime prevention measure. Uh huh.

<p><em>Some HOAs have rather draconian rules around parking. A friend of mine lived in a condo complex in Anaheim Hills where they had a parking patrol come out every night and issue fines/tow cars.</em></p>

<p>My former complex did the same thing. The core of the issue is in a effort to maximize sales volume, sub divisions are built with inadequate parking. IMHO, city planning should require one spot for every bedroom not including garage spaces. Can you imagine the courtyard designs in Portola needing 12-18 parking spots around them? Think it sounds excessive? Mentally roll the clock forward 10-15 years and imagine all the toddlers now being teens.</p>

<p>Is that why my freaking neighbor never park in the same spot? Every day the poor fellow parks his family van in a different location. Hahahah.</p>

<p>This is a tough subject to debate. On the one hand, you're suppose to park in your garage. But then on the other hand, what happens when a family has more than 2 cars? Also, imagine the poor souls with the "tandem" garage. If the wife goes to work early. Then the husband has to back out his car. Some people just avoid this by parking one car out on the street.</p>

<p>Getting back to my neighbor, he has 2 vehicles. And he uses his garage as a living space. Yep, a couch and table in the garage.</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

Heck, even the 5 and 6 bedroom homes in Portola Springs only have two car garages. I don't know who thought that was a good idea. Oh yeah, the builder. You don't make any money on garage space.

Hey just park your car in your yard....I am sure your HOA would like that even more.

Absolutely ubsurd....IR...this deserves a WTR Award. Maybe we should start compiling a list.

<p>How about this one? I know of someone who lives by himself. His garage can fit 2 cars, plus his driveway can park 2 more. Guess where he parks? On the street!! </p>

<p>He once told me to park on the street when I visited him. I looked puzzled as there are plenty of spaces in the driveway. He replied, "That way the neighbors can't park in front of my house.".....What the?!!</p>

<p>I swear there are some people who are just too darn anal.</p>

And barking dogs. I have no qualm about this. But several times I get IPD knocking on my door regarding this complaint. Hello! I have no dogs. Hahahha....

BLSH - when you contest the ticket, you might also alert IPD that this is the third time it happened and ask if they could talk to the reporting party about the penalties for filing a false police report.

BLSH.....call the HOA president and tell them that their shutters have faded due to the sun and that they need to be repainted, that is always a good one.

<p>Wow.... lots of people have parking issues lol. Anyways just want to emphasize it is a warning, no fines. I've lived in this place for 1.5 yrs and I've had 3 warnings and 1 ticket. The ticket was actually my fault because I left for a business trip... becaise I didn't think I'd get a ticket parking (in front of my house) in front of a car that didn't move for a year.</p>

<p>I do believe some associations have rules regarding use of garage for living/storage space... Like I said, 1 in 4 homes have full driveway, 2 curb parking spots for every 3 homes. My household has a 2 car garage, no driveway, 4 cars. Two cars are always in the garage. Neighbor to the left of me uses the garage as a gym, but parks on the driveway with 1 car on the street. Neighbor to the right of me uses his garage as a living room, has 3 cars on the street, but 2 of them blocks his driveway. People can do whatever they want with their homes/garages, I really dont care. I have no problems parking a block away (public street with no parking, what can i say).</p>

<p>But UGH.... its the passive aggression that people have here that really gets on my nerves. Anonymous neighbors calling police for things they can really just talk out with each other. In defiance, I taped the envelope of the parking ticket on to the curb before i left. Idiots.</p>

<p>Mino, I'm in a rare part of irvine, no HOA's. Homes are 30 yrs old, most have had some remodeling done. Two neighbors homes look like mansions placed next to slums, </p>

<p> What do you think I put a window mounted AC and see who writes the complaint? I'm just starting a riot :)</p>

Back