Irvine Student (Uni High) Suicide

Cubic Zirconia said:
That's two Irvine suicides.. sad :-(

I think it's just the same article posted twice on the forum. This is the same situation I posted in City Hall this morning. Unless you mean there is a second person?

akim997 said:
sad...    and in good taste, can we NOT make jokes for a bit?

There will be natural curiosity what the cause of this was i.e. too much pressure in school, for example. Commenters on the article's site were suggesting bullying however the boy's friends and family say that's not true. But yeah, no jokes. Feel sooo bad for his parents. You'd have to put me in a straight jacket if this were my boy.  :(

SoCal78 said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
That's two Irvine suicides.. sad :-(

I think it's just the same article posted twice on the forum. This is the same situation I posted in City Hall this morning. Unless you mean there is a second person?

akim's post had 2 links.  the harvard suicide was from irvine as well...not sure if she was IUSD or not

University is very competitive - that's the price to pay for high API scores. Maybe Irvine HS is not so bad after all? that I rather have my kid to live an average but happy life instead of overachieving with a lot of pressure.

The Motor Court Company said:
University is very competitive - that's the price to pay for high API scores. Maybe Irvine HS is not so bad after all? that I rather have my kid to live an average but happy life instead of overachieving with a lot of pressure.

there is nothing in the articles about pressures of school or academics.  it could have been depression or a multitude of reasons.  dont hi-jack this thread for your agenda.

I don't know about you; But the school systems that I went through or I am familiar with have a lot of parallel with University HS - schools with good academic scores.  The environment is very competitive and I have seen too many cases of depression or emotional breakdown due to stress or pressure from the parents. That's the first thing jumps to my mind when I see University + suicide. Surely it could have been due to bullying, bad relationship...you name it. But the environment in such school does not help either. I heard University or Northwood have prevalent drug issues for the same reason.

This is really about the well being of these young kids. I would argue students in Irvine HS have less pressure in general which means they would be a little bit happier, if happiness can be measured.

rkp said:
The Motor Court Company said:

there is nothing in the articles about pressures of school or academics.  it could have been depression or a multitude of reasons.  dont hi-jack this thread for your agenda.

OK so we cannot speculate the cause of death or the general well being of our kids.  What's the point of this thread?

bones said:
This could happen at any school.  There are many factors involved that we don't know.  It could be environmental, family-related, school-related, relationship-related, etc.... the list goes on.  Please don't make this about Uni versus Irvine versus Woodbridge versus Northwood.  It's bad taste.

bones said:
This could happen at any school.  There are many factors involved that we don't know.  It could be environmental, family-related, school-related, relationship-related, etc.... the list goes on.  Please don't make this about Uni versus Irvine versus Woodbridge versus Northwood.  It's bad taste. 

anything can happen at anywhere or anytime. its the probabilities that matter.  i dont have kids, but from what i read, it seams like this is more probable at Uni High.

we can definitely speculate.  i imagine most people would think of academic pressure when they read of the uni suicide or harvard suicide.  i apologize if i read your post wrong but you have mentioned irvine high as being served by the ghettos and being the worst and thought you were turning this into an irvine school vs irvine school discussion

the truth is that regardless of the school, any kid can feel academic pressure compared to their peers.  no one wants to be in the bottom of whatever API school they go to. 

bones said:
seriously?  "it seems like this is more probable at Uni High".  on what basis?  based on hearsay that the academics are "harder" and therefore more stressful which then leads to the feeling of not being good enough which then leads to suicide? 

why did you even ask the question if you already knew the answer?

bones said:
seriously?  "it seems like this is more probable at Uni High".  on what basis?  based on hearsay that the academics are "harder" and therefore more stressful which then leads to the feeling of not being good enough which then leads to suicide?  So what happens if a kid from Irvine commits suicide?  Will it be because he/she felt shitty going to a school with a lower API than Uni and his/her parents not rich enough to live within the Uni school zone?  I mean come on!!! I'm not sure why this thread exists but I gather it's to pass along information.  As a country, we're obsessed with death - especially when it happens before it's supposed to.  Let's just send a prayer to the families involved and move on.  To turn this into a "probability" discussion with no real statistics is in bad taste.

people die every day. this is sad that this kid committed suicide - but not being able to discuss it because your too sensitive is just being ignorant. talking about these things brings these issues to the forefront and then we can get ahead of the situation instead of waiting for an unfortunate situation to occur.

bones said:
So how are you going to get ahead of the situation?  Enroll your kids in a school district that is "less hard"?

no. because this could happen at any school. you get out in front of the situation by creating public awareness that pressure to succeed in school can have dire consequences. Maybe schools put posters with 800 hotlines students can call.  Discussion creates public awareness so that kids hopefully know they can reach out to someone if they start to feel to much pressure to succeed.

yah sounds like you guys are talking across each other

point is that we do need to discuss but its not a conversation about irvine schools as compared to irvine schools.

It could have happened for anything..You can't blame schools, or parents, or a girl who might have broken his heart.
I just feel bad that with the available resources the kid chose to take such a drastic step.

One of my daughter's friend is going through suicidal thoughts. No reason at all. There isn't any academic pressure, or parental pressure to perform. No broken hearts. She just feels like it. She talked to her mother, but the parents didn't understand why the girl wants to harm herself when she is doing so great. Counselor is dealing with it now. They showed a movie about bullying/suicide to the whole grade so that they can talk about both the topics with the kids, and show them ways to deal with issues like that.

Back