Irvine seen as epicenter of violence against Asian - will it impact sales?

qwerty said:
Every race has their bad apples. When I was in my early 20s we were getting into an elevator in a parking structure with a couple of Asian guys who you could tell were drinking because their faces were red. It was probably 2am or so. One of the Asian guys looks at me and smiles and says hey Juan. Let?s just say he and his friend learned a tough lesson that night.

Did they get calfed up? :)

Kenkoko said:
If you are pro capitalism, can you really blame Fox / MSNBC for figuring out the secret to profitability?

It's a business. They generate more profit by providing contents that catering to a smaller but more devout audience.

News were different 30 years ago not because human nature was different back then.

We just didn't have the tools we have today. Like big data feeding AI driven prediction models etc

Even with the rapid growth of alternative media, this trend is not reversing.

People in general don't care about caveats and nuances.

Haven't we all accepted (maybe unwilling) that proper policy discussion can be had over Twitter post Trump ?

I'm pro-capitalism.  Being pro-capitalism doesn't mean you support doing everything to earn a buck.  It is not capitalism when a corporation is doing the equivalent of knowingly dumping mass quantities of proven carcinogenic toxins in the water supply.

I can excuse some of the behaviors of corporations in the gilded age, they literally did not know the damage their pollution was causing, these corporation do know and actively trying to suppress the information they do know about the harm they are causing.

nosuchreality said:
Kenkoko said:
If you are pro capitalism, can you really blame Fox / MSNBC for figuring out the secret to profitability?

It's a business. They generate more profit by providing contents that catering to a smaller but more devout audience.

News were different 30 years ago not because human nature was different back then.

We just didn't have the tools we have today. Like big data feeding AI driven prediction models etc

Haven't we all accepted (maybe unwilling) that proper policy discussion can be had over Twitter post Trump ?

I'm pro-capitalism.  Being pro-capitalism doesn't mean you support doing everything to earn a buck.  It is not capitalism when a corporation is doing the equivalent of knowingly dumping mass quantities of proven carcinogenic toxins in the water supply.

I can excuse some of the behaviors of corporations in the gilded age, they literally did not know the damage their pollution was causing, these corporation do know and actively trying to suppress the information they do know about the harm they are causing.

I agree with your stance personally, but you're making a moral argument. It's easy when it's black and white.

When it's a business decision, moral arguments often don't win out. Businesses will weigh the cost of fines & blowbacks vs. the profits of damping mass toxins.

It's a systemic problem of capitalism.

Is that evil? maybe but it's also reality.

I'm saying it'd be more productive if people channel their outrage into changing the system instead of being outraged at CEOs who have every incentive to buck against their moral value.

Kenkoko said:
nosuchreality said:
Kenkoko said:

I agree with your stance personally, but you're making a moral argument. It's easy when it's black and white.

When it's a business decision, moral arguments often don't win out. Businesses will weigh the cost of fines & blowbacks vs. the profits of damping mass toxins.

It's a systemic problem of capitalism.

Is that evil? maybe but it's also reality.

I'm saying it'd be more productive if people channel their outrage into changing the system instead of being outraged at CEOs who have every incentive to buck against their moral value.

It's a systemic problem of groups.  Groups have been shown to take riskier and less ethical decisions.  It's a hazard of distributing accountability. 

I think people should be outraged at the CEOs.  Frankly many of their policies and decisions really are in the out of bounds zone of a clearly differentiated decisions.  They're way over the fuzzy line.  Calling them on it is really the first step in bringing accountability back.  IMHO, Orange jumpsuits are really needed for some of the captains of industry for their behaviors to check the overall runaway egos that are taking hold.

It's a pipe dream though because all the kids want to be social influencers.  Olivia Jade is the poster child of the unethical 'good business decision'.  $500K in USC bribes to create the marketable property generating several million a year.

nosuchreality said:
It's a systemic problem of groups.  Groups have been shown to take riskier and less ethical decisions.  It's a hazard of distributing accountability. 

I think people should be outraged at the CEOs.  Frankly many of their policies and decisions really are in the out of bounds zone of a clearly differentiated decisions.  They're way over the fuzzy line.  Calling them on it is really the first step in bringing accountability back.  IMHO, Orange jumpsuits are really needed for some of the captains of industry for their behaviors to check the overall runaway egos that are taking hold.

It's a pipe dream though because all the kids want to be social influencers.  Olivia Jade is the poster child of the unethical 'good business decision'.  $500K in USC bribes to create the marketable property generating several million a year.

I agree with you on orange jumpsuits.

We've seen too many who made the decisions that led to the crisis not only got off scot-free, but also became rich off of the spoils. The criminal justice system looked the other way because there was no mechanism to prosecute decision-makers.

Nothing wrong with being outraged at CEOs.

My point is it doesn't accomplish anything meaningful. And it's also na?ve to think things will dramatically improve by just getting rid of a CEO. The next man/woman up is just as incentivized to make those "bad" decisions as the previous CEO.

Public outrage is often short lived and doesn't bring real policy change or real accountability. You know what does? Lobbying.

That's just the sad reality.

Irvine would be actually somewhere an Asian person would feel more safe than other cities. Therefore it will impact sales with more Asians buying here. Irvine keeps on outperforming. Sorry LL ;D

targeting the CEO doesn't mean as much as targeting the board members. Board members are the ones that really call the shots.

Did y'all catch the news of the poor korean lady that was punched in the stomach on Sunday morning by a thug from Irvine? This happened at a public park in Tustin.

I'm starting to be worried and on guard. I'm usually out in the neighborhood with my two toddlers and the stressors are active. Spidey sense on alert, which in itself is a damn shame.  I wouldn't be worried at all if just me, but now with two little ones...

How are you all feeling about the recent spike in AAPI hate?

Mety said:
Irvine would be actually somewhere an Asian person would feel more safe than other cities. Therefore it will impact sales with more Asians buying here. Irvine keeps on outperforming. Sorry LL ;D

Back