Irvine School District too Competitive and Backfires?

wacoonist

I was recently told by a Irvine parent with kids in high school that it?s easier to get into college outside of the Irvine School district.    This is due to the limited number of admittance to college applicants for each district.  Irvine students with their overwhelmingly high academic achievement actually have a harder time getting into the college of their choice compared to a less competitive district.  As a result some parents are starting to move out of Irvine to the surrounding district at their kids senior high school years!?!  Is there any validity to that comment?

Send your kid to Santa Ana for HS, get divorced/quit your job (better for financial aid), and change your kid's last name to Rodriguez--guaranteed Harvard bound ;)

wacoonist said:
I was recently told by a Irvine parent with kids in high school that it?s easier to get into college outside of the Irvine School district.    This is due to the limited number of admittance to college applicants for each district.  Irvine students with their overwhelmingly high academic achievement actually have a harder time getting into the college of their choice compared to a less competitive district.  As a result some parents are starting to move out of Irvine to the surrounding district at their kids senior high school years!?!  Is there any validity to that comment?

It's true! My daughter was told by the admissions counselor from Vanderbilt that she would be easily admitted, if she went to a lesser competitive high school. The counselor explained that since she's Beckman student, the bar is set really high for admittance requirements compared to lesser performing schools.

Yep. Been told the same.
If a kid has the same gpa, same course work/AP classes, sat/act, etc, at a competitive district, may be ranked at some middle of the pack percentile, but at a dangerous mind/the substitute/coach carter school, probably be top of the class and get admitted easier. 

AlexG said:
Is Beckman HS at the same acedemic level as UNI HS?

If your kid is on the AP track, I believe it is just as good as Uni or Northwood. Beckman ranks lower, since it does have a higher percentage of kids from lower socio-economic backgrounds. If I recall about 25% of the students qualify for the reduced/free lunch program. If the population of Beckman just consisted of students from Irvine and Tustin Ranch (similar socio-economic background of Uni/Northwood students) it would rank just as high as the other schools.

Yes, I know atleast a couple of friends put their Irvine homes on rent and moved out due to pressure cooker environment schools!!

It depends on your view--what is the purpose of high school? Is it to get into a competitive college, or is it to receive a strong educational foundation that will prepare your kid for success in the future regardless of what college they go to? If you send your kid to an "easy" school, they may be a big fish in a small pond, rank at the top of their class,  get into a competitive college and find themselves woefully unprepared to deal with the rigor of the work at that top university. Or, they may go to that Dangerous Minds school, feel pressure to fit in by slacking off, fall in with the wrong crowd, or have a miserable 4 years being bullied for being one of the studious ones.

I have heard the same thing. My friends told me most chooses K-8 in Irvine, and go to a high school not in Irvine.

Sunnyirvine said:
Yes, I know atleast a couple of friends put their Irvine homes on rent and moved out due to pressure cooker environment schools!!

"Put there homes on rent." (Sounds like a real estate play?)

We discussed this atleast 2 other times on here in the past.  Yes it is easier to get into Harvard if you are top 2 at Ghetto high than if you are ranked 20 at Irvine High.

But the life long richie rich friends at Irvine High may benefit you more in the future than the poor ghetto high kids.

Anecdotally, IHS's daughter who was in IUSD didn't get into Harvard, but his friend's daughter that graduated from Villa Park did.

zubs said:
We discussed this atleast 2 other times on here in the past.  Yes it is easier to get into Harvard if you are top 2 at Ghetto high than if you are ranked 20 at Irvine High.

But the life long richie rich friends at Irvine High may benefit you more in the future than the poor ghetto high kids.

Anecdotally, IHS's daughter who was in IUSD didn't get into Harvard, but his friend's daughter that graduated from Villa Park did.

No, she supposedly got in but then her offer was rescinded when she got a C in calculus... or something like that.

Her frenemy Holly ended up at Yale.

zubs said:

If all the "richie rich friends at Irvine High" learn that it's easier to get into better colleges at other school districts, I wonder how many of them will still stay in Irvine.

babyseal said:
zubs said:

If all the "richie rich friends at Irvine High" learn that it's easier to get into better colleges at other school districts, I wonder how many of them will still stay in Irvine.

Seems like your mind set. So what's holding you back?

How long has this been going on?

Since the beginning of time, or at least since I was in high school.  Don't Irvine schools teach this in elementary school anymore?  I thought it was common knowledge.

Working hard and only getting to rank 20 at Uni High and working the same amount to get to valedictorian at Santa Ana....who will have it easier getting into a good school?

Back