Irvine residents: 143,000; Daytime population: 248,000

almon_IHB

just saw this quote in a broker newsletter, who claimed he sourced this from the OC Register who is in turn quoting the Census Bureau's first estimate of daytime population.

according to him -> it -> it, the 74% jump makes irvine the #1 jumper in the whole country. the estimate only includes cities with over 100,000 residents.

following us, the next ones are salt lake city, washington dc, orlando and santa clara.

interesting but useless, maybe i should have added it to graphrix's other thread!

This is interesting, worthy of it's own thread.

It comes <a href="http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/daytime/daytimepop.html">from 2000 data</a>, but it doesn't surprise me that it is that high. I might dig around and see if the data is available to calculate what it is currently. With all the office, commercial, and retail space added since 2000, it wouldn't surprise me if it were a higher percentage increase.

Nice find Almon.

it's one of those data points that you can interpret any way you like:

1- irvine is a heavy industrial factory town, where tons of people clock out at 5pm

2- irvine is a heavy technology town, where all residents telecommute and no one leaves their house during the day

3- irvine is a heavy tourist town, the most popular destination west of miami for germans and norwegians

4- irvine is a rich town, where all moms/dads stay at home and live off trust funds

It's the usual reason. The employment is in Irvine, but houses cost too much so people have to commute from farther away. Common pattern in many urban areas.

The data by istelf may not be very useful, but if you could monitor the same statistics every month they might reveal important trends.

in my neck of the woods I work in a city that has about 16,000 residents and roughly 2 million workers.

My Company in Irvine is 109,000 sq ft with approximately 250 employees and growing fast (60,000 world-wide) and as far as I know, only 3 of us live in Irvine.

Oh, it's #1. Irvine has HUGE light industrial areas. Mostly offices, of course. I was surprised to see the population of Irvine so low, considering what a big role it plays in the image of Orange County.

Back