Irvine Public Elementary Schools-is Alderwood really the best?

Hi folks,

I'm still researching what school to send my kid to, and whereas I feel pretty good about my research on private schools in the area, I'm totally lost regarding Irvine public elementary schools.

From studying several rankings websites and iusd site, it seems like the schools that rank the highest and are located in the area where I want to live (between 73 and 5 freeway) are Alderwood, Bonita Canyon, Turtle Rock, Uni Park, Vista Verde (not in any particular order). It seems like Alderwood ranks highest in scores, but lacks in terms of diversity-around 60% Asian, only 5% Hispanics, all other minorities less than 1%, 30% White

If anybody has any thoughts one way or the other about any of these schools, can you please respond? My factors for choosing the schools are high scores, good mix in terms of diversity and a nice campus. I'll be visiting all of these schools this month, so I'll post updates on the facilities, but I'd really appreciate your insight if your kids go to any of these schools.

I would not judge a school by its API number. My experience with a school district that has 5 elementary schools with API 975+(no it's not a mistake), all these elementary schools feed into a high school with API higher than 930(much higher than Uni). A low API number is an indication of a problem but a high API number is not an indication of excellence. I have positive experience with Vista Verde. The school is brand new, the principal is excellent. It seems like a small private school.

The downside is there are a lot of rich kids in this neighborhood, the kind of kids who parents own a hotel and give $4000 for a birthday gift.

If your kid is enrolled in Vista Verde, you can move anywhere in Irvine and you don't have to uproot your child.

Oh btw, I have very negative experience with University Park elementary and the low API score is a very good indication.

Thanks a lot, I had no idea that you can start out with one school and then still go there even if you move. Vista Verde does look pretty good to me just based on their stats alone.

[quote author="blackacre-seeker" date=1220677385]Thanks a lot, I had no idea that you can start out with one school and then still go there even if you move. Vista Verde does look pretty good to me just based on their stats alone.</blockquote>

Vista Verde is an alternative choice school, and accepts from all over the district. That said, I believe there is still a interest/waiting list you have to get on to be accepted on a space available basis. For that matter, all Irvine schools are technically open enrollment, but I believe some schools are nearly impossible to get in. Some even end up bouncing kids who live in the assigned attendance area to another school, because of overcrowding. Plaza Vista comes to mind.

Be careful about putting too much stock into the test scores. I say that because I used to do the same thing when we first moved to Irvine. The test scores are much more a reflection of the student population than the actual ciriculum or teachers.

Case in point, my daughter started Westpark Elem Kindergarten this year (started in July, year round school). Her best friend starts Kindergarten this month at Alderwood. We have been NOTHING but happy with Westpark, from the great principal to the 4 great Kindergarten teachers. There are 66 K's in Westpark --- it does not feel overcrowded, we got our first choice of class schedule, etc. etc. Great PTA, friendly and involved parents. Nothing but smooth so far. We are very impressed. Westpark has API 906.

Our friends on the other hand are frustrated as can be with Alderwood already, and they have not even started. Alderwood was totally packed with Kinders --- 140 as they understand. They said going through the registration process was frustrating, the office seemed frazzled, aloof, and unhelpful. Because of work and afterschool care they really wanted the early AM schedule --- but were stuck with the late afternoon schedule. Pleading with the office got them nowhere, they were told essentially "tough luck". They are NOT happy so far with Alderwood. As a matter of fact, they were thinking of pulling her registration and enrolling her at Westwood because they are planning on moving to Portola. So that 950+ API at Alderwood may not tell the whole story.

Sorry for the long winded answer, but take my word (as a former API junkie myself) --- the score is only half the answer.

[quote author="CK" date=1220680573]Be careful about putting too much stock into the test scores. I say that because I used to do the same thing when we first moved to Irvine. The test scores are much more a reflection of the student population than the actual ciriculum or teachers.

Case in point, my daughter started Westpark Elem Kindergarten this year (started in July, year round school). Her best friend starts Kindergarten this month at Alderwood. We have been NOTHING but happy with Westpark, from the great principal to the 4 great Kindergarten teachers. There are 66 K's in Westpark --- it does not feel overcrowded, we got our first choice of class schedule, etc. etc. Great PTA, friendly and involved parents. Nothing but smooth so far. We are very impressed. Westpark has API 906.

Our friends on the other hand are frustrated as can be with Alderwood already, and they have not even started. Alderwood was totally packed with Kinders --- 140 as they understand. They said going through the registration process was frustrating, the office seemed frazzled, aloof, and unhelpful. Because of work and afterschool care they really wanted the early AM schedule --- but were stuck with the late afternoon schedule. Pleading with the office got them nowhere, they were told essentially "tough luck". They are NOT happy so far with Alderwood. As a matter of fact, they were thinking of pulling her registration and enrolling her at Westwood because they are planning on moving to Portola. So that 950+ API at Alderwood may not tell the whole story.

Sorry for the long winded answer, but take my word (as a former API junkie myself) --- the score is only half the answer.</blockquote>

The older areas will have less crowded elementary schools as a general rule and probably happier and more helpful teachers and administrators. I've heard some horror stories from parents with kids at Hicks Canyon for example. Seriously overcrowded because many that moved into Northpark had young kids.

One of my co-workers has a child at WP Elem CK, third grade I believe. He says its an awesome school and they have been very happy with it...

I agree with CK regarding the lack of response and helpfulness at Alderwood. My friend recently took her preschooler for some type of testing at Alderwood, he did not pass the minimum requirements necessary to start kindergarten. (I did not give my friend 100% of my attention, so I don't know what kind of test) The teachers were very blunt and unsympathetic when they announced his failure in front of all others. Regardless of the high test scores, I think how the kids are treated is very important too. If you prefer to have your kids in a more competitve environment, you should also consider looking into the APAAS program offered at Eastshore, Deerfield, Turtle Rock, Brywood , Santiago Hills. This program starts at 4th grade, but you might consider starting your kids there beforehand. As regards to a 'nicer' combo of different ethnic groups, I had the same concern, but in Irvine, it is quite hard to find a school with balanced ethnicity....

Flashback, part of the test was math flash cards for addition and subtraction.

thanks for everybody responding again, I've learned something new again, I thought if I buy a house in a certain area that feeds into elementary school of my choice, my son is guaranteed admission into that school. I'll make sure to call the schools to find out their current enrollment capacity and waiting lists before buying a house. Since I'm a lazy commuter, I'd be willing to put up with the school traffic and live within a walking distance of a good school.

Another thing you need to consider is transportation to/from high school to the house location. IUSD does not provide transportation. However, there is city bus up/down Culver. I did not rent nor buy in Quail Hill for this very reason.

I drove to Alderwood Basics today and was pretty disappointed with the overall location and the facilities.

As promised, posting updates on my schools research re the facilities: This was my first time in Quail Ridge, maybe that's why, but it is just too much sun, not enough trees, pretty boring outlook of the whole neighborhood. The school's parking is nonexistent, just a little space in front, so I can only imagine what happens there in the morning when you need to drop off your kid, the school looks like a storage facility (and it is supposed to be brand new building, right?) I also hate this roundabout that leads to the Quail Ridge and Shady Canyon, is it just me? I found it very confusing to navigate...

Anyway, crossed that school off my list, no way I want to shed all this money to live next to it. Besides, only condos and apartment homes are within a walking distance, SFRs are on top of the hill, not so much fun walking there in the open sun with a kid in tow every morning and afternoon.

[quote author="blackacre-seeker" date=1221631907]I drove to Alderwood Basics today and was pretty disappointed with the overall location and the facilities.

As promised, posting updates on my schools research re the facilities: This was my first time in Quail Ridge, maybe that's why, but it is just too much sun, not enough trees, pretty boring outlook of the whole neighborhood. The school's parking is nonexistent, just a little space in front, so I can only imagine what happens there in the morning when you need to drop off your kid, the school looks like a storage facility (and it is supposed to be brand new building, right?) I also hate this roundabout that leads to the Quail Ridge and Shady Canyon, is it just me? I found it very confusing to navigate...

Anyway, crossed that school off my list, no way I want to shed all this money to live next to it. Besides, only condos and apartment homes are within a walking distance, SFRs are on top of the hill, not so much fun walking there in the open sun with a kid in tow every morning and afternoon.</blockquote>

The lack of trees and roundabout looked strange to me too - until I read more about fire safety (ie. trees spaced apart deliberately, no trees overhanging roofs, roundabouts are fire truck friendly), then I got it. There is a second parking lot on the uphill side, but yeah, traffic is bad in the morning. The sun is hot for the walk uphill, but at least there is often a breeze. Inside the school is nice though, the facilities are good. The teachers are phenomenal though, the teachers, and also the sheer number of good academically focused students, that's what impresses me the most.

Back