Irvine Pony League vs. Irvine Little League

Registration for the Spring baseball season at Irvine Pony is in full effect now... Games begin at the end of February with practices starting next month. My son will be doing Miteball (3.5-4 year olds) again this season. Both myself and hopefully the great IrvineRealtor (Deuce) will be assistant coaching our team with an experienced and patient head coach that is a veteran of Irvine Pony.

I suspect a few of the kids off our Fall Miteball team won't be returning although we have a good core coming back. If you have a 3.5-4 year old that is interested in playing this season, and would entrust them to nutters like me and IR2, feel free to PM me and I'll tell you what to put on your registration so you end up on our team...

5 year olds in pony leagues?? California has some whacky sports divisions

5 & 6 is T-ball

7 & 8 year olds, 9 & 10 year olds, and 11-12 year olds play in 3 little league divisions.

13 & 14 year olds Pony League

15 & 16 is Colt league

14 - 18 High School baseball

Does anyone know how you go about being a coach? Do you have to be a Dad? Is that a requirement?

[quote author="lendingmaestro" date=1231379378]5 year olds in pony leagues?? California has some whacky sports divisions

5 & 6 is T-ball

7 & 8 year olds, 9 & 10 year olds, and 11-12 year olds play in 3 little league divisions.

13 & 14 year olds Pony League

15 & 16 is Colt league

14 - 18 High School baseball

Does anyone know how you go about being a coach? Do you have to be a Dad? Is that a requirement?</blockquote>

Pony is a division for 13-14 but also the name of a leage here in Irvine. It competes with Little League...

You don't have to be a dad to be a coach. You can just volunteer as such. At Irvine Pony, I think you just email the VP of the division you want to coach at and get an application, background check info, etc.

I am signing my son up for Pony's t-ball. However, it doesn't let me choose the t-ball, but only shetland, because he just turned 6 a week ago. So 6 years old can''t be in t-ball.

But Shetland is for more advanced player, isn't it? My son has never touched baseball before.

Little League lets you choose t-ball or upper division for this age.

Purple: don't worry, there are no expectations regarding skills for Shetland 6 year olds. My son is also going to play Shetland this spring - maybe our kids will be on the same team!

[quote author="purpletulip" date=1233709027]I am signing my son up for Pony's t-ball. However, it doesn't let me choose the t-ball, but only shetland, because he just turned 6 a week ago. So 6 years old can''t be in t-ball.

But Shetland is for more advanced player, isn't it? My son has never touched baseball before.

Little League lets you choose t-ball or upper division for this age.</blockquote>

I wouldn't worry they have two divisions I believe. American league and National league. When my son played Shetland they gave the kids like 5 pitches and if they didn't hit it they brought out the Tee.

We played in a different Pony league though but we played Irvine in a tourney and that's how we did it.

For any of you parents with kids not doing soccer (or are crazy enough to two-sport it during Fall) this year, Fall baseball registration is open at <a href="http://www.irvinepony.com/index.php">Irvine Pony</a> and the various Irvine Little Leagues.

Back