Irvine politicos

badcandy_IHB

So I checked my mail today and found "Irvine Community News and Views - Serving the Villages and Neighborhoods of Irvine" in my mailbox. At first I found it humorous... I mean, some of the "quotes" in it are hysterical. Example:

'"They once claimed that the creation of the Great Park was moving too fast," said Councilmember Agran. "Then they claimed that it was moving too slowly. They don't seem to know what they want - except to vote No, No, No!"'

or the Letter to the Editor... that ends with "I agree with Mr. Lunding that Shea and Choi are just too negative for Irvine."

... ?!

Deep down, I was kinda bothered by this mailing. I don't like political commentary/mudslinging masquerading as 'local news.' I googled the company name listed in the fine print on the back page and it dredged up the "Irvine Tattler" (oh the irony) and yet more mud slinging from the other side... What the heck is going on in this town? Is this 'normal' for Irvine?

. I am a long time Irvine resident and I am voting for Todd Gallinger as well as Agran and Krom and Kang, fyi. I got this in email.

<em>As many of you know, my main opponent in my race for Irvine City Council is Dr. Steven Choi. We have done everything possible to run a positive campaign, focusing on our agenda for the City of Irvine. Unfortunately, Dr. Choi has made negative comments that require a response.

I and all other candidates for Irvine City Council recently participated in a forum with the Irvine Chamber of Commerce. It was a great opportunity to focus on the things I would do to help small businesses and create local jobs. But Dr. Choi instead chose to use that chance to instead spread fear about "Islamic terrorism."

At the event Dr. Choi ended his closing statement with the claim that I represented "The Islamic terrorist group CAIR." In fact, I am very proud of the work I have done with CAIR (The Council on American Islamic Relations) and know that it has preserved the rights and liberties of all Americans.

For those of you who are unaware, CAIR is the largest American Muslim civil right organization with 32 chapters in 20 states. CAIR commonly interacts with almost all government agencies and departments, including the FBI and DHS. I represented their Southern California office in two class action lawsuits relating to delayed background checks for naturalization applicants. In working on these cases CAIR & myself were advancing not only the civil rights of people applying for citizens, but also protecting the security of all American by ensuring that these background checks are completed in a timely manner.

It is truly shameful that Dr. Choi has chosen to play the politics of fear and bigotry. This even more shocking in Irvine, a thoroughly diverse & integrated city whose residents take pride in our multicultural composition. Dr. Choi's comments were recently covered by the Orange County Register, In Focus News, and the New University (UCI's student newspaper). For his remarks, Dr. Choi was named New University's "Wind"bag of the week award.

But we can and we will overcome this message of hate by drowning it out with our positive message of focus on education and environment. But to get this message out, we need your help. Please forward this message to friends and family and let them know you stand with us and against the politics of fear. Please also contribute to the campaign, either online or by check.

Together we can show the world what Irvine and our diverse communities really stand for!

Thanks always for your support & take care,

Todd Gallinger</em>

Back