Irvine Parking Problems

In the newer Irvine neighborhoods, parking is a problem. And this is the main reason why my next home will not be in Irvine.

This one neighbor. Husband/wife with 2 toddlers. They own 4 vehicles: 2 SUV's, 1 huge truck and a mini. WTF!

[quote author="reason" date=1230039723]In the newer Irvine neighborhoods, parking is a problem. And this is the main reason why my next home will not be in Irvine.

This one neighbor. Husband/wife with 2 toddlers. They own 4 vehicles: 2 SUV's, 1 huge truck and a mini. WTF!</blockquote>

Some people measure their success by having many cars.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1229820717]Have you attended any HOA meetings skim where this matter was likely discussed and ultimately voted on? Been reading the minutes of the board minutes at least? Do you have any knowledge of the financial condition of your HOA. Are they well reserved? These people are your elected representatives for the most part. They serve you. If you want things to be different, drag your butt regularly to meetings, get a petition going, run for the board, etc.

It's amazing how apathetic the typical homeowner is to their HOA. I served on a board for years and usually not a single homeowner would show up for the public portion of the meeting. Heck, most HOAs can't even get enough votes to get their board elected/re-elected each year... Owners don't bother to check off a box or two and mail back their votes. You can bet they'll pay attention finally if you slap them with some stricter parking rules though.</blockquote>

I'm a teacher, so I volunteer to do several extra things every year at my school. Maybe everyone who decides to buy a property should

also have to agree to volunteer a certain number of hours to the HOA. Maybe if people realized that by living in a certain community, you

obligate yourself to spending time dealing with the communities rules and finances. Maybe then people would realize that living with a

HOA can be added work in your life. Maybe then the people who shouldn't live in a place with a HOA will decide not to. I think many

places are filled with people who want their cake and eat it too. Personally, I'm with Freedom, my volunteer time will be spent with kids,

not with crabby adults trying to make up ways to fine and restrict people.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1230081560][quote author="reason" date=1230039723]In the newer Irvine neighborhoods, parking is a problem. And this is the main reason why my next home will not be in Irvine.

This one neighbor. Husband/wife with 2 toddlers. They own 4 vehicles: 2 SUV's, 1 huge truck and a mini. WTF!</blockquote>

Some people measure their success by having many cars.</blockquote>

Or very long driveways.

[quote author="skim121" date=1230014640]I would park in my driveway if there was one. its just a back way to the garages. They enforced these new laws recently on Oct and voted on it. I would be involved in my HOA if the meeting are held at reasonable time, it is held on every third weds of every month at 6pm. I go to work, like many and doesn't get home to make it in time for HOA. Why hold it on weekdays at 6??? why not on weekends? or little later time. I believe majority of the vote with the board is Irvine company, and the residents who are on the board serves as minority. At Northwood II there are four builders that built homes here, one being attached town homes, two builders for single family homes with car garages, and another builder for single family homes without a drive way but a shared back driveway that leads to individuals garages, which is where we live at. </blockquote>

Practically every HOA in Irvine meets on a weekday between 5-7pm. That time has proven to be the best for most people involved. People are much less likely to attend meetings on weekends at they are involved with kid activities, trips, social functions, etc.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1230088217][quote author="skim121" date=1230014640]I would park in my driveway if there was one. its just a back way to the garages. They enforced these new laws recently on Oct and voted on it. I would be involved in my HOA if the meeting are held at reasonable time, it is held on every third weds of every month at 6pm. I go to work, like many and doesn't get home to make it in time for HOA. Why hold it on weekdays at 6??? why not on weekends? or little later time. I believe majority of the vote with the board is Irvine company, and the residents who are on the board serves as minority. At Northwood II there are four builders that built homes here, one being attached town homes, two builders for single family homes with car garages, and another builder for single family homes without a drive way but a shared back driveway that leads to individuals garages, which is where we live at. </blockquote>

Practically every HOA in Irvine meets on a weekday between 5-7pm. That time has proven to be the best for most people involved. People are much less likely to attend meetings on weekends at they are involved with kid activities, trips, social functions, etc.</blockquote>

I agree, that time of the evening allows for one spouse to attend the meeting, but still be home for dinner/kids afterward. Given the enormous amount of people with small kids that seems to be the most convenient time all around.

I think that 12-6AM is prohibitive timing. I've had plenty of guests around after 12AM, but never past 2AM. Having to safelist your whole party at midnight (think of a new year's eve party) would be a huge pain. But 2AM would limit the safelist requirements to only true overnight guests. I would push back on that one as much as possible.

[quote author="Goofy" date=1230085897][quote author="bkshopr" date=1230081560][quote author="reason" date=1230039723]In the newer Irvine neighborhoods, parking is a problem. And this is the main reason why my next home will not be in Irvine.

Some people measure their success by having many cars.</blockquote>

Or very long driveways.</blockquote>

The long driveway is necessary when the garage is at hidden toward the rear of the property. My property is way cheaper than many properties in Irvine and I do not have to deal with the problems shared in this thread.

Pay less and get more quality of life from my current property. Getting to Irvine is only an 8 minute drive for me for retails and restaurants. I keep a dirt cheap entry level investment property in Irvine so I can send my kid to school there.

At the end I am in a win win situation with minimal out of pocket expenses. I do not have to cope with the worst of Irvine to enjoy the best of Irvine.

Some are even more clever by renting an IAC studio and sublease the unit at a $100 discount to another tenant just to maintain an Irvine address. That is not bad to spend just $1,200/ year to send their kids and friends kids to Irvine Public Schools.

When my kid graduate I will sell my investment property to knife catchers.

I have extra transponders, codes and keys to most private gated villages in Irvine but I never really have the time to enjoy the free amenities in Northpark, Turtle Ridge, Northwood Pointe, and etc.

Sometimes I dressed in my hobo outfit and hang around the Jeffrey Open Space to see how quick I become a subject in a IHB thread.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1230093521]

I have extra transponders, codes and keys to most private gated villages in Irvine but I never really have the time to enjoy the free amenities in Northpark, Turtle Ridge, Northwood Pointe, and etc.

</blockquote>

I'm in the market for a Shady Canyon transponder, on Google earth, Shady looks like a good short cut between Newport Coast and the Spectrum area.

[quote author="High Gravity" date=1230105127]

I'm in the market for a Shady Canyon transponder, on Google earth, Shady looks like a good short cut between Newport Coast and the Spectrum area.</blockquote>

I'm also in the market for a Shady Canyon transponder. I used to take a short cut through shady canyon on the weekends by pretending to look at open houses, but I guess they got smart and figured out there's no way I could even afford the property tax, let alone a house there. I really hate having to drive all the way around to go from Fashion Island or UCI to Quail Hill or the Spectrum. Since no once actually seems to live there, they should make that a public road.

[quote author="freedomCM" date=1230102290]How good is the IUSD on catching out of towners?</blockquote>

80% of shoppers were from 8 mile radius. One crazy PANDA from across the country Atlanta or Chicago and one Frank69 located at unknown distance calculated using cafeteria odor intensity spread by prevailing wind.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question earlier.

It is hard for school personel to pay a visit to the students home to make sure they actually live there. The budget is not there in the first place and sometimes its hard for them to get into a gated neighborhoods like IAC.

[quote author="High Gravity" date=1230105127][quote author="bkshopr" date=1230093521]

</blockquote>

I'm in the market for a Shady Canyon transponder, on Google earth, Shady looks like a good short cut between Newport Coast and the Spectrum area.</blockquote>

Buy a Bike!! There's a really nice paved Trail that starts at Shady and goes all the way over the hills to Turtle Rock...

By the way, it's easy to get past the Guard too if you want, just circumnavigate the gate as you wave to the Guard and give Him the old "Hey, thanks for taking care of us"!!

Not only do they let you through, they give you a nice salute in the process...

:coolgrin:

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1230111863][quote author="freedomCM" date=1230102290]How good is the IUSD on catching out of towners?</blockquote>

Not a very PC job to investigate potential out of towners, so they pretty much just let it slide.... I heard.</blockquote>

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but if you or your wife works in Irvine, then anyone in your family should be able to attend, no problem.

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1230168669]I think CM was talking about people who use address in Irvine to get into IUSD, but does not live in Irvine. I did not know you can get your kids into IUSD if you have a Irvine work address.... is that right? I maybe able to setup a company with Irvine address (Mail Box Etc or Kinko?) and hire a few people.... The only thing that prevent people from abuse this too much is the hassle involved in dropping and picking your kid. But if you have the time/money, nothing is impossible, I guess.

Administrator, you may want to break this up into a separate thread.</blockquote>

Yes, it is true. I work in a desirable school with a large waiting list in Santa Ana (yes, Santa Ana). Our office staff is constantly reviewing attendance records to try to send students back to their home district. Each time a student is found to live in Costa Mesa or Orange (those are the two districts that students come from most frequently), paperwork has to be done to send them back, but if the parents can prove that either works in Santa Ana then they are required to be allowed to stay. We have also had some students transfer to IUSD schools after leaving our school because their parent works in Irvine.

[quote author="tmare" date=1230278594][quote author="Astute Observer" date=1230168669]I think CM was talking about people who use address in Irvine to get into IUSD, but does not live in Irvine. I did not know you can get your kids into IUSD if you have a Irvine work address.... is that right? I maybe able to setup a company with Irvine address (Mail Box Etc or Kinko?) and hire a few people.... The only thing that prevent people from abuse this too much is the hassle involved in dropping and picking your kid. But if you have the time/money, nothing is impossible, I guess.

Administrator, you may want to break this up into a separate thread.</blockquote>

Yes, it is true. I work in a desirable school with a large waiting list in Santa Ana (yes, Santa Ana). Our office staff is constantly reviewing attendance records to try to send students back to their home district. Each time a student is found to live in Costa Mesa or Orange (those are the two districts that students come from most frequently), paperwork has to be done to send them back, but if the parents can prove that either works in Santa Ana then they are required to be allowed to stay. We have also had some students transfer to IUSD schools after leaving our school because their parent works in Irvine.</blockquote>

High Schoool of the Arts?

No, a fundamental intermediate school. Anyone from anywhere can go to OCHSA if they apply and get accepted.

So workplace of the parents preserves enrollment? I'd not heard that before, thanks.

But does it also ensure enrollment? I.e. working at the Astute working at the JinB will let his kids get into uni as a local? or would Astute have to rent an apartment for a couple of months to enroll, then move to the big house in SA?

I would think even if the parent works in a particular district, it would only allow for the child to attend that district or the school of residency within that boundary - not necessarily a choice school. Even in a district with an open-enrollment policy, transfers are only accepted if there is room, with those students having the school as their school-of-residency getting priority.

For IUSD - here is their <a href="http://www.iusd.org/enrollment/OpenEnrollmentPolicy.html">enrollment policy info.</a>

(Notice it only refers to where you reside, not where you work.)

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1230351505]I would think even if the parent works in a particular district, it would only allow for the child to attend that district or the school of residency within that boundary - not necessarily a choice school. Even in a district with an open-enrollment policy, transfers are only accepted if there is room, with those students having the school as their school-of-residency getting priority.

For IUSD - here is their <a href="http://www.iusd.org/enrollment/OpenEnrollmentPolicy.html">enrollment policy info.</a>

(Notice it only refers to where you reside, not where you work.)</blockquote>

For inter-district transfers, the school district of residence also must agree to release the student. We just moved out of IUSD, and were informed by IUSD that while it is fine that our daughter finish the 2008-09 school year at her IUSD school, if we wanted to enroll her for 2009-10 in IUSD we would have to get a release signed by the Tustin USD --- and said that TUSD almost never grants the release because it means less $$ to the district (money is allocated to district based on headcount). It is worth noting that if we were to get the release from Tustin, IUSD was totally fine with our child continuing in the future despite the fact we did not live in the IUSD boundaries anymore.

No worries about leaving IUSD from us, though....after visiting Myford Elem we liked it better than our current IUSD school, anyway.

[quote author="CK" date=1230354126][quote author="SoCal78" date=1230351505]I would think even if the parent works in a particular district, it would only allow for the child to attend that district or the school of residency within that boundary - not necessarily a choice school. Even in a district with an open-enrollment policy, transfers are only accepted if there is room, with those students having the school as their school-of-residency getting priority.

(Notice it only refers to where you reside, not where you work.)</blockquote>

For inter-district transfers, the school district of residence also must agree to release the student. We just moved out of IUSD, and were informed by IUSD that while it is fine that our daughter finish the 2008-09 school year at her IUSD school, if we wanted to enroll her for 2009-10 in IUSD we would have to get a release signed by the Tustin USD --- and said that TUSD almost never grants the release because it means less $$ to the district (money is allocated to district based on headcount). It is worth noting that if we were to get the release from Tustin, IUSD was totally fine with our child continuing in the future despite the fact we did not live in the IUSD boundaries anymore.

No worries about leaving IUSD from us, though....after visiting Myford Elem we liked it better than our current IUSD school, anyway.</blockquote>

That is correct, there has to be space for the child and you need a release. Just mention a lawyer and you'll get the release. Most schools (especially in high scoring districts) are perfectly fine with keeping and/or accepting a student with good scores. It couldn't hurt to bring in your child's STAR scores if they are high enough.

Back