Irvine or Baker Ranch (Lake Forest)

NathanIrvine

Folks,

We have just moved here from the bay area and are looking for new construction.  We went and saw the new homes at Baker Ranch.  While we know a lot about Irvine, we know very little about Baker Ranch / Lake Forest.

We are looking for 2600+ Sq FT house with a 5500 Sq FT plot.

Any insights will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan

Baker Ranch is about a block or two north of the jail.  If you can get past that.. it might be okay for you.  It isn't quite Irvine but then again.. you probably will get a little more white and diversity.  However.. it just isn't Irvine.

I'm biased but for what you're spending at Baker Ranch, you can find equivalent or better in Irvine... or even Foothill Ranch.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm biased but for what you're spending at Baker Ranch, you can find equivalent or better in Irvine... or even Foothill Ranch.

Not quite with the Meloroos.. plus you get things like a driveway you would otherwise not get in Irvine with new construction.

bones said:
I think this question depends on what you're looking for.  Why are you considering BR in the first place?  Is it b/c you want more "diversity"?  Is it b/c you get more bang for your buck?  Are you only considering new construction?  Where is your "center"?  Like IHO said, unless you are looking for new construction, there's other places I would consider outside of the Irvine versus Baker Ranch debate (such as Foothill Ranch, Tustin Ranch, etc).

But in general, here are the cons to Baker Ranch:
1. Proximity to the jail.  Some will say that the new Irvine 5th HS will be close to the jail as well as will some of the undeveloped parts of the GP.
2. Industrial surroundings.  This may affect your views and be a noise factor depending on where you are in the community.
3. Highest price homes in Lake Forest.  If you are considering 2600+ sf homes at BR, then you are buying into some of the most expensive homes in Lake Forest.
4. Schools are not as good (at least in perception and rankings) if you care about this stuff.

In general, since this is a Talk IRVINE board, most people's opinions will skew towards Irvine.

That list could be pro's in someone's eyes.

1.  Someone may love BR because it's close to the prison where their loved ones are being held at making visits convenient.

2.  Someone may work in that industrial area making their commute to work easy peasy.  They also may enjoy the noise it brings (soothing buzzing ambience).

3.  Someone may love overpaying for a home in Lake Forest.

4.  Someone may like the low ranking in schools becuase it's less competitive for their kids to get into Harvard or an Ivy League. 

Based on what i saw over there this weekend, it was like a feeding frenzy.  Most of the communities had sold out on Phase 1. 

What are your thoughts on the financial projections on the homes there? IS the ROI there better then buying a place in Irvine?

NathanIrvine said:
Based on what i saw over there this weekend, it was like a feeding frenzy.  Most of the communities had sold out on Phase 1. 

What are your thoughts on the financial projections on the homes there? IS the ROI there better then buying a place in Irvine?

Depends on what your views of ROI is: (monetary, safety, child education, centralness?)

bones said:
Troller_Simpson said:
NathanIrvine said:

Depends on what your views of ROI is: (monetary, safety, child education, centralness?)

If it's monetary, then I would say no. With highlands, you are probably looking at $1.1m all in (upgrades plus landscaping). What else trades for $1.1m in lake forest?  At that price, you are hoping BR is an irvine annex which I think is unrealistic.

Yeah I have to agree with you on that observation bones. 

Some food for thought, Nathan, from my experience living in both Irvine & LF.

Many company HQ's are in L.F. Similar type software engineering jobs as found in Irvine are also found in LF. So, yes, that's convenient if you're so lucky as to work there.

More freedom from neurotic parents in a pressure-cooker environment, obsessed with numbers.

As for El Toro, some of the kids I've talked to within the district feel El Toro is the best h.s. in the district. They enjoy the teachers and the programs and have transferred there from their school of residency. From what I hear, it's a well-rounded school with fine athletic programs, early college program, caring teachers.

Culture: If a person wants to be close to their church like Saddleback, Calvary Chapel FR, Rock Harbor or any of the protestant or "mega" churches in Orange County, they are mostly going to be south of Irvine with a short drive from BR (i.e. Saddleback). If BR ends up being similar to the surrounding area, you get more like-minded neighbors, familiar faces end up in your child's Sunday School class and in your fellowship.

Nathan, I don't know if you guys plan to have a SAHM in the family at any point but I find that role is more highly valued in certain areas than others. If Mrs. Nathan is one, and if BR is similar to LF, you will find more common ground with others there. In Irvine, I met a lot of nannies. Learn Spanish. They form their own little cliques.  If not nanny, grandparents or daycare. A lot of moms & dads make career #1. You won't see their faces as much. Afterall, parents don't send their kids to an Ivy League school so they can care for their own children. I found it different in LF. (Not every family of course, but many of them.) More full time parents. You will see them personally. There are also more home-schoolers. Again, I think both of these are tied in with the paragraph above. If being focused on the family is important to you, and it is especially with a lot of Christian families in the area, give it some weight. We don't know who is moving into BR yet, do we? If it's like its neighbors to the east, it will have those benefits but a few minutes closer to the 5, a little more centrally-located.

Got to consider not just the house but the kind of neighborhood you want. If having a 99 Ranch nearby is Mission: Critical, Irvine is the place for you.

ROI is too nebulous... but I can comment on historical price fluctuations.

Anything in this area that is *not* Irvine (or coastal) will experience faster, larger drops and slower, smaller rises.

That's generalizing but I have to keep the Legend of the Unicorn going. :)

Socal's post reminded me of a guy I knew who ran for city council in a city I use to live in.
1. He is Asian
2. He wanted the schools in the city to be more education focused (think tigermom)
3. He scoffed at the other council members for putting school enjoyment 1st and education 2nd.
4. He lost the election

RE: Education
Irvine (Asian) vs. Lake Forest/Foothill Ranch (Caucasian) has this contrast as well.

definitely not true that both parents will work in Irvine.. The are also Irvine moms that stay at home and hire nannys. 

The biggest difference.. Irvine is zoned well and they keep their community on the up and up.  You won't see this in other cities.  BR.. for example.. has commercial buildings right next to it. 

Back