Irvine no longer safest city

Eliminate these two facets in the city and by default crime will go away automatically; blue collar population and bars or corner liquor stores.

I think Irvine has at least a half dozen new 7-11s opening.  That doesn't bode well for the future of the city. 

Too bad there aren't more bars, though.  Irvine could use a few dozen more of those and some clubs where everyone can dance Gangnam Style.

I've noticed an increase in vagrants as well as people who look like they are not from the city in the Irvine shopping centers lately.  The ARCO/AMPM that I go to on Jeffrey has a lot of "weird" characters hanging about. 

Has anyone else notice this?

I've lived in Irvine for the past 16 years and this does not appear to be a gradual influx, but a sudden appearance.

Saw an old dude trying to cross Irvine Blvd today at Culver.. At first I thought it was the Walking Dead.. he really did shuffle along like a zombie.. he was too slow and opposing traffic turned green.. think he stopped at the little itty bitty island in the middle of the street.. he didn't seem well to be on his own.. but then he could be a zombie...or a vagrant..

I've also noticed an influx of people walking throughout the city.  It seems strange.  I thought walking was illegal unless you're exercising or walking your dog.

timandjess said:
I've noticed an increase in vagrants as well as people who look like they are not from the city in the Irvine shopping centers lately.  The ARCO/AMPM that I go to on Jeffrey has a lot of "weird" characters hanging about. 

I've lived in Irvine for the past 16 years and this does not appear to be a gradual influx, but a sudden appearance.

Me said:
I've also noticed an influx of people walking throughout the city.  It seems strange.  I thought walking was illegal unless you're exercising or walking your dog.

timandjess said:

IPD is not doing their job. They need to start targeting vagrants just like they harass folks in cheap/old cars. I rarely see them pull over folks in luxury cars.

A couple months back I saw three IPD rush in and surround an illegally parked car at the Marketplace shopping mall. The car looked bad--1980's Totyota Tercel hatchback with broken front windshield, and all the other windows were gone and had plastic sheets in their place. The IPD officers looked like they were ready to draw guns when they arrived.

Back