Irvine must build 21,000 low income houses by 2015?

joeyp_IHB

Did anyone else see this <a href="http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1786581.php">OC Register</a> article about SCAG's plan. Is that legally enforceable; is itt really going to happen?

<p>I don't think they can legally enforce it. I know they enter into a contact to do so and if the contract doesn't comply they get fined. In this case they could just renegotiate to build out the remaining houses... MINUS the low income housing. It has been mentioned that the current stock of homes in foreclosure could/would be the low income avenue. We will see. My feelings are that all the home builders are losing their butt, building stuff at low cost for the state is an even worse proposition, just better to pay the penality and be done with it.</p>

<p>On a different but same though, they will probably do just what they have been doing. Make the loan requirements so INSANELY strict that VERY few people will comply with the requirements.</p>

<p>good luck</p>

<p>-bix</p>

<p>Irvine has to comply with the RHNA (Regional Housing Needs Assessment) numbers. They have the option to contest and challenge the numbers, which they will probably do. If the City does not meet the RHNA, federal funding can be withheld from the city</p>

<a href="http://www.ocregister.com/news/housing-irvine-scag-1788222-units-city">Irvine sues agency over housing mandate</a>

Let the lawsuits begin.

<p>When Irvine alleges in the article that they have been "...penalized ...for...building housing that is accessible to the full range of working families", what they really mean is "a family of workers"!</p>

I can understand why they are so angry. I have worked on projects with an affordable component. Nothing kills the financial projections quicker than limiting the revenue or revenue growth. These affordable housing requirements are one of the reasons redevelopment is so costly (and thereby not often done.)

Does anyone know what the caps for low and moderate income levels are for Irvine?

Personally, I have little objections if these housing units will go to people who actually work/live here. Housing is very expensive in Irvine, even for renting. If they can build some affordable units for the folks who work at Target, Ralphs, Irvine Spectrum, etc. here so they could live where they work, that's fine with me. They can also build more senior housing for the low income elderly folks (and hopefully not charge them $1200/month HOA).

By providing affordable housing for folks who work here, we can also reduce freeway traffic...

<p>From the City's website:</p>

<p>"The City of Irvine is committed to providing a wide range of housing opportunities for all income levels. A variety of housing assistance programs are available to low, very-low and moderate income to obtain income restricted rental units in Irvine as well as ownership opportunities. The goal of these programs is to insure that all Irvine citizens have safe and affordable housing for their families. To accomplish this goal, the City requires that all new residential developments provide a percentage of the units as affordable to families earning less than the area median income. As a result, the City currently has over 3,000 existing affordable rental units for very-low, low and moderate income with more planned for the near future. In addition, a total of 93 affordable for-sale units were recently approved. The City also has a First Time Homebuyer Program, which consists of three components: the Down Payment Assistance Program (DAP), the Lease Purchase Program (LPP) and the Mortgage Credit Certificate Program (MCC).</p>

<p>"To obtain information about affordable housing programs in Irvine, call Amy Urcis, Associate Planner at (949) 724-6546."</p>

Also, <a href="http://www.hcd.ca.gov/hpd/hrc/rep/state/inc2k5.pdf">here</a> is some info from 2005. There is a chart w/ numbers for OC on page 6.

<a href="http://www.cityofirvine.org/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=8845">Here</a> is a pdf of the current actual numbers.

<p>They are breaking ground on some units off Jamboree at Kelvin and Murphy, near the Irvine Post Office. I've heard they will be low income. Excavation is under ground so looks like multi level with underground parking. The sign say Jamboree Housing --Granite Court. Funny this building will be in the middle of an all industrial complex. This may be the beggining. Come one -- Come all to Irvine the land of low income dwellers !!!!!!! </p>

<p>My wife and I were first time buyers. So we had no clue, what affordable housing was.</p>

<p>At the sales office a couple of years back. We overheard a potential buyer ask, "Is there affordable housing, here?" Since we didn't know what that was. We went to another sales office and asked the same question. The sales rep. said, "Sure we do, we have apartment homes.".....hahaha!! geez.</p>

Back