Irvine loses appeal - more affordable housing on the way

ckc11_IHB

Looks like Irvine is doomed. Lots of affordable housing on the way. There goes the neighborhood!

From the <a href="http://www.ocregister.com/articles/housing-scag-irvine-2608850-court-city">OC Register</a>

IRVINE ? The California Supreme Court has turned down Irvine's appeal of a mandate to build more than 35,000 new housing units by 2014, exhausting the city's legal options in fighting a requirement that local leaders say is both unfair and essentially impossible.

The court decision ends a more than two-year legal battle between the city and the Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG) over a requirement that 35,660 new housing units - including around 21,000 that must be deemed affordable ? be constructed in Irvine in the next five years.

Irvine leaders are now left to carry out a decree they have previously described as "unreasonable, inequitable and unfeasible."

SCAG was tasked with carrying out a state-mandated regional housing need assessment meant to ensure that a fair share of housing is available as the population grows.

Local leaders contend that SCAG has thrust more than 40 percent of the county's housing requirements on Irvine's doorstep, despite the city making up only 6 percent of the county's population and 8 percent of its land area. More than 20 other communities have backed Irvine in their legal battle against SCAG, including Cypress, Laguna Beach and Yorba Linda.

"For months we have worked through the system to have our day in court, to ask for an equitable formula for a housing allocation that is deeply flawed," Irvine Mayor Sukhee Kang said. "This was a perfect case for the (California) Supreme Court to address on behalf of all communities."

Rather than rule on the housing mandate itself, the courts have essentially decided that they have no jurisdiction over SCAG. Fourth District Court of Appeal Justice William Rylaarsdam earlier this year wrote that SCAG is not only the "executive decision-maker for housing allocations," but also the "final judge, jury and appellate tribunal."

SCAG leaders were pleased with the court decision, saying it aids the state?s goal of providing housing for all income levels.

?While we recognize that the result is difficult for Irvine, this litigation has also been difficult for SCAG,? SCAG President Jon Edney wrote in an e-mailed response. ?AS SCAG undertakes the next regional housing needs assessment, we intend to continue to work collaboratively with all our jurisdictions, including Irvine.?

Irvine leaders argue that they already have aggressive affordable housing goals. The city currently has just under 4,000 affordable housing units, but expects that number to increase to about 10,000 units by the communities projected build-out in 2025.

SCAG officials warned that not adopting the proposed housing numbers could leave Irvine ineligible for some funding opportunities. Ignoring the mandate could also leave the city open for a lawsuit by housing advocates or state agencies.

Couldn't Irvine just section off an isolated area and build all the "affordable" housing there? Essentially an Irvine proper and a pseudo-Irvine-lite

[quote author="autox" date=1255738343]Couldn't Irvine just section off an isolated area and build all the "affordable" housing there? Essentially an Irvine proper and a pseudo-Irvine-lite</blockquote>

You could call it "the projects".

This is considered a bad idea in modern planning theories. Better to scatter them around then to put them all in the same spot.

[quote author="autox" date=1255738343]Couldn't Irvine just section off an isolated area and build all the "affordable" housing there? Essentially an Irvine proper and a pseudo-Irvine-lite</blockquote>

Does it have to be new housing? Or can they convert existing housing? Could they just take older and less profitable IAC properties and convert them into low income condos?

If has to be new housing, maybe Irvine will try to annex Columbus Square and fullfill their quota there? Or Great Park? Places like Woodbury East or Stonegate (or even the yet to be developed Portola Springs enclaves) would seem to be good candidates to meet this mandate, but that's all TIC land --- and I'm sure TIC would have something to say about that. Not to say that TIC has have any influence over the city or anything...

[quote author="awgee" date=1255743489]I heard TIC is going to build a high rise affordable housing project in Shady Canyon.</blockquote>

[quote author="Nude" date=1255751316]So, will the Great Park become the Great Projects?</blockquote>

You know that could be considered being intolerant (I didnt use the "B" word) of those who are economically

disadvantaged. But in a Capitalist Economy we cant be bothered by these people now can we ?

They just need to work harder and make more money if they are going to live in Irvine.

I am just pulling your leg. Happy Friday.

35,000+ housing low income housing units, wow. I remember reading a percentage of the low income units also have to be classified as ultra low income units.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1255754171]I think Irvine may have to set a separate schools for the future hood rats in the future hoods. Parents with prodigy children would not want to pay big bucks for home when low life families could send their dope smoking kids to the same schools.</blockquote>

Are there parts of Irvine city limits than aren't within the Irvine Unified boundries? I think there are. I'll bet that a lot of these units will be in those areas.

Someone help me understand this. It says Irvine has to provide > 35k units by 2014 and 21k of those have to be affordable. Then it says it currently has about 4k affordable units and will become approx 10k by 2025 when the communities are built-out. Ok, so that's a total of 10k a decade after the 2014 date. Where are the other 25k units (and aren't we then 11k shy of the affordable requirement)?? They must come from somewhere. I am guessing they will be converting existing properties. Is it just because it's Friday that I'm not reading this correctly??

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1255756736]Someone help me understand this. It says Irvine has to provide > 35k units by 2014 and 21k of those have to be affordable. Then it says it currently has about 4k and will become approx 10k by 2025 when the communities are built-out. Ok, so that's 10k a decade after the 2014 date. Where are the other 25k units (and aren't we then 11k shy of the affordable requirement)?? They must come from somewhere. I am guessing they will be converting existing properties. Is it just because it's Friday that I'm not reading this correctly??</blockquote>

I imagine that the oldest apartment complexes will get a refurb and then sold (I'm looking at you Park West) as affordable condos. I also imagine that the Great Park area will be the location of any new homes that are needed. Either BK or IR will probably have a better idea.

[quote author="Nude" date=1255757214][quote author="SoCal78" date=1255756736]Someone help me understand this. It says Irvine has to provide > 35k units by 2014 and 21k of those have to be affordable. Then it says it currently has about 4k and will become approx 10k by 2025 when the communities are built-out. Ok, so that's 10k a decade after the 2014 date. Where are the other 25k units (and aren't we then 11k shy of the affordable requirement)?? They must come from somewhere. I am guessing they will be converting existing properties. Is it just because it's Friday that I'm not reading this correctly??</blockquote>

I imagine that the oldest apartment complexes will get a refurb and then sold (I'm looking at you Park West) as affordable condos. I also imagine that the Great Park area will be the location of any new homes that are needed. Either BK or IR will probably have a better idea.</blockquote>

Doesn't an apartment complex itself count as "affordable housing? When I hear them talk about affordable housing I always think that just means to the Irvine Company they will build more apartments, not actual homes like those ones that back onto the tracks in Tustin Fields. I'm sure there will be some houses/condos that will be sold as affordable housing but the majority of this quota will be filled by just more Irvine Company Apartment complexes. I seem to remember Dan saying this in his call to IHB.

i do know someone living in the Camden Apartments off Jamboree/Main which is designated as "affordable housing." If I'm remembering correctly its just the 1 bedroom apartments but it costs under 1,000 a month. Thats what i think of when they say affordable housing. Instead of paying 1300-1400 or whatever market rent is, they are paying 900/mo.

And Socal, what you are reading is Irvine's defense on why they are fighting it. SCAG is saying "Irvine has to provide > 35k units by 2014 and 21k of those have to be affordable."

Irvine's response is "why are you giving us more to do with? We are already doing affordable housing on our own....without your mandate we are doing 4,000 affordable housing units, but expects that number to increase to about 10,000 units by the communities projected build-out in 2025."

So basically they are arguing over that difference. The City of Irvine was planning to have 10,000 affordable housing units by 2025, the SCAG is saying "nope, we want 21,000 by 2014 or you will face some consequences."

If putting 35,000 units out by 2014 doesn't increase inventory dramatically, I don't know what will. Of course, who knows how many will be actual homes or which will be apartments? For example, 3 (I think) apartment complexes went up by Sand Canyon/Irvine last year. Palmeras, Esperanzea, and Mirasol. How many of those counted toward the mandate of the housing units and how many towards affordable housing? Or even lets say the Park over by the Spectrum. I'm guessing a lot of those fit the 35k tab of housing units but just few of them fit the "affordable housing" side.

[quote author="bltserv" date=1255752076][quote author="Nude" date=1255751316]So, will the Great Park become the Great Projects?</blockquote>

You know that could be considered being intolerant (I didnt use the "B" word) of those who are economically

disadvantaged. But in a Capitalist Economy we cant be bothered by these people now can we ?

<strong>They just need to work harder and make more money if they are going to live in Irvine.</strong>

I am just pulling your leg. Happy Friday.</blockquote>

If they want to live in Irvine, yes, they need to make more money.

[quote author="Minimorty" date=1255758367][quote author="bltserv" date=1255752076][quote author="Nude" date=1255751316]So, will the Great Park become the Great Projects?</blockquote>

<strong>They just need to work harder and make more money if they are going to live in Irvine.</strong>

I am just pulling your leg. Happy Friday.</blockquote>

If they want to live in Irvine, yes, they need to make more money.</blockquote>

Damn poor people getting in our neighborhoods. Its just not American. LOL

So we should not have any HUD Section 8 Housing in Irvine ?

Federal and State Law seems to disagree with that idea whole heartedly.

The IAC makes an attempt with this webpage.

<a href="http://www.rental-living.com/AffordableHousing/">http://www.rental-living.com/AffordableHousing/</a>

This will tell you what IAC Units have affordable units.

[quote author="Nude" date=1255757214][quote author="SoCal78" date=1255756736]Someone help me understand this. It says Irvine has to provide > 35k units by 2014 and 21k of those have to be affordable. Then it says it currently has about 4k and will become approx 10k by 2025 when the communities are built-out. Ok, so that's 10k a decade after the 2014 date. Where are the other 25k units (and aren't we then 11k shy of the affordable requirement)?? They must come from somewhere. I am guessing they will be converting existing properties. Is it just because it's Friday that I'm not reading this correctly??</blockquote>

I imagine that the oldest apartment complexes will get a refurb and then sold (I'm looking at you Park West) as affordable condos. I also imagine that the Great Park area will be the location of any new homes that are needed. Either BK or IR will probably have a better idea.</blockquote>

No No No. Park West is the only project Frank Gehry designed with straight walls. It should be a historic landmark and not be the future rat holes.

In Woodbury, there are some "affordable housing" apartments called Woodbury Walk. It's been up for over a year now and been running pretty well. I haven't noticed any "hood rat"-esque problems and I personally think that thinking the people would be some sort of projects-based communities is absurd.

Just because people can't reasonably afford a $700-$1million dollar home doesn't make them po'folks, it just makes them not as wealthy.

I hope that Irvine has to make more reasonable and affordable <em>houses</em> for people to live in. We've all seen these great homes that have great prices and low HOAs in Corona Hills, Riverside, etc., and granted, it is Riverside, but having homes in the $400s+ is still money that middle-class folks could afford and still be a completely lovely and thriving community.

Back