Irvine & It's never ending Red Traffic Signals

sell4u

Irvine Traffic Signals
1.) Every signal you drive up to is red....
2.) Your chances of a signal turning yellow as you approach it are 50%.....
3.) You'll wait at a "protected red" arrow signal for 2 minutes before the signals cycle and the protected arrow green turns on. Meanwhile during those 2 minutes you're waiting to turn, either 0 cars or 2 cars have driven by the opposite side of the street during the entire 2 minutes....
4.) You'll wait at a residential red traffic signal as the pedestrian crosswalk turns on for 35 seconds, the person crossing only needed 20 seconds to cross since it's a small residential neighborhood intersection, or better yet there's not 1 person crossing the street yet the 35 second crosswalk still turns on...
5.) During 5pm traffic, the traffic itself can not even make it through an entire green cycle before turning red.....
What an absolute mess this city's traffic signals are. By far the worst city I've ever seen (Pasadena is a close 2nd....) Irvine get your act together.

sell4u said:
Irvine Traffic Signals
3.) You'll wait at a "protected red" arrow signal for 2 minutes before the signals cycle and the protected arrow green turns on. Meanwhile during those 2 minutes you're waiting to turn, either 0 cars or 2 cars have driven by the opposite side of the street during the entire 2 minutes....
4.) You'll wait at a residential red traffic signal as the pedestrian crosswalk turns on for 35 seconds, the person crossing only needed 20 seconds to cross since it's a small residential neighborhood intersection, or better yet there's not 1 person crossing the street yet the 35 second crosswalk still turns on...
5.) During 5pm traffic, the traffic itself can not even make it through an entire green cycle before turning red.....
What an absolute mess this city's traffic signals are. By far the worst city I've ever seen (Pasadena is a close 2nd....) Irvine get your act together.

indeed!

jmoney74 said:
sell4u said:
Irvine Traffic Signals

indeed!

The lights are not synchronized?

eyephone said:
jmoney74 said:
sell4u said:
Irvine Traffic Signals

indeed!

The lights are not synchronized?

To a certain extent they are.  However, the issue at hand is a little more complicated than your 1 question .

In the example I mention above (Re; waiting at a red protected arrow) - An Irvine motorists will often find themselves waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting at a protected arrow where there is zero traffic coming the opposite direction.  That in and of itself is extremely extremely frustrating.  For me, it is extremely frustrating driving through the city. It's everywhere. Traffic Management is ran very poorly in this city, IMHO.  I can't understand how the city of Irvine is allowed to get away with constructing 9.9 million additional housing units (okay i'm being a little sarcastic) yet have so little regard for traffic management. 

sell4u said:
In the example I mention above (Re; waiting at a red protected arrow) - An Irvine motorists will often find themselves waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting at a protected arrow where there is zero traffic coming the opposite direction.  That in and of itself is extremely extremely frustrating.  For me, it is extremely frustrating driving through the city. It's everywhere. Traffic Management is ran very poorly in this city, IMHO.  I can't understand how the city of Irvine is allowed to get away with constructing 9.9 million additional housing units (okay i'm being a little sarcastic) yet have so little regard for traffic management.

This one I actually understand. Protected arrows significantly reduce accidents because allowing left turns on green result in drivers during left on the yellow light assuming (incorrectly sometimes) that the oncoming traffic will stop for the yellow.

I actually think traffic lights are managed pretty well in Irvine considering how much traffic and bad drivers there are.

Any time you come across a light that isn't working correctly, just report it to the city and they'll look into it.

I've done that a few times with lights near my homes where the cross street is green with no pedestrians or cars in sight and it was fixed within a few days.

This is a problem in every city, I don't think Irvine is any different... can you name a city with the amount of  traffic Irvine has that has perfectly timed lights?

paperboyNC said:
sell4u said:

This one I actually understand. Protected arrows significantly reduce accidents because allowing left turns on green result in drivers during left on the yellow light assuming (incorrectly sometimes) that the oncoming traffic will stop for the yellow.

yeah, I gotta agree with this about the protected left hand turn lane. Compare this to streets in LA which don't have protected left hand turn lanes, and try making a left turn safely into heavy oncoming traffic. You can maybe get 1 or 2 cars turning left through each red light cycle and then it blocks up the entire left lane. This is safer, though I agree about the frustration of waiting.  I think that there are sensors though that can tell when someone enters the left hand turn lane and just turns green long enough for them to make the turn and then goes back to red.  You just have to pull up close enough to the white line of the intersection for the sensor to tell you're there.

irvinehomeowner said:
Any time you come across a light that isn't working correctly, just report it to the city and they'll look into it.

I've done that a few times with lights near my homes where the cross street is green with no pedestrians or cars in sight and it was fixed within a few days.

Where do you report this?

paperboyNC said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Where do you report this?
http://www.cityofirvine.org/signal-operations-maintenance/traffic-signals

To report a concern related to traffic signals, please call our Irvine Traffic Research and Control Center (ITRAC) at 949-724-7324.

Back