Irvine isn't for everyone...

irvinehomeowner

Despite what others think, I believe many people who live in Irvine know that it's not a perfect city.

We also know that there are probably more house for less money in other cities but there are personal/work circumstances that prevent us from making that "wiser" decision.

But if you can afford it and if you are looking for...

1. Good school system (across the board... not just a single magnet school)
2. Relative safety (compared to other cities)
3. Large ethnic mix (c'mon... spend 5 minutes in Irvine and you'll know what I mean)
4. Newer homes (Irvine is one of the few cities that can still build new)
5. Central location (5/55/405)

... then Irvine is a solid choice. If it's not your cup of tea... that's perfectly fine... but don't hate on it because it doesn't fit your lifestyle at this particular point in your life.

Some of you may have lived here in the past, why was that? What were your reasons then? I'm sure you chose Irvine based on your life back then and is it that hard to understand that people today are in the same position you were back then?

I would love to have a home with a large lot and view but many of us put other factors higher on the list. Don't call us sheeple because we are concerned about the same things you were once concerned about. We are not all blinded by TIC... many of us actually like HOAs, structured neighborhoods, tot lots and community parks. And while I think places like Floral Park are beautiful, my kids are too young and the areas around it are too unsafe for me to even consider it. I can't even find a basketball court within 2 minutes of Floral Park where I think I could bring my kids and not be worried about them while I am double-dribbling, traveling and sullying the good name of what a baller should be like.

And one day I will probably not live in Irvine either. I want to live my waning years in a home with a dining room, a living room, a view and a large lot so that my grandchildren can run around... and unless I hit the Lotto, I doubt I'll be able to afford something like that in Irvine.

Irvine is NOT for everyone... but neither is any city.

irvinehomeowner said:
I can't even find a basketball court within 2 minutes of Floral Park...

You are wrong.  There are plenty of basketball courts at the Orange County Central Jail Complex on Flower Street, just 3 blocks south of Floral Park.

IrvinePilot said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I can't even find a basketball court within 2 minutes of Floral Park...

You are wrong.  There are plenty of basketball courts at the Orange County Central Jail Complex on Flower Street, just 3 blocks south of Floral Park.
You missed the most important part:

...where I think I could bring my kids and not be worried about them...

And that's only half the problem... even if I don't bring the kids... I would probably worry about myself (I'm not as menacing looking as I used to be).

IndieDev said:
Let's not get carried away. A credit for picking granite color in the kitchen, maybe.
Don't you read BK's Book of In Materials... granite is out... stainless steel is out... it's all about wood and colored porcelain.

IHO,

Who are you responding to? Is BK lurking on TI again!  :)

I was surprised to read that OCR is having a hard time. I wish them well and welcome all OCR lurkers wish to go to the dark side of TI  ;) I wish I could help them but I don't have enough time to support my internet addiction on yet another forum.

Actually, this thread evolved from the OCR thread here because trace was waxing poetic on BK's problems.

I am basically addressing all the Irvine bashers... specifically BK because in the past few weeks (months?) his constant barrage on Irvine and the people who choose to live here has grown quite annoying.

Interestingly enough, RC copied my post there (without a link... graphrix would be mad!) and of course BK is cherry picking points. His latest being:
http://www.ocreader.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13315#p13315
BKonOCR said:
Who cares about the entire school system being great vs just a few good schools in the system. Look at Tustin Ranch Unified for example: Beckman and Pioneer both have the highest Asian API score while other schools in the system are doing average as long the kids are attending Pioneer and Beckman by living in Tustin Ranch. The same also applies to Troy and when my kid attends there and what difference does it make when Sunnyhill is lagging behind.

I just don't get this entire system has to be good business unless one plans to send the kids to a different schools each month. What matters most is children attend one good school period. Do one really needs Gucci sneakers and NASA titanium rackets and Fila Wristbands and Dolci Jock straps to play good tennis? This is too excessive IMO. My high school is the worst school in the state since the 70s at least 4 total graduates get to attend Stanford or Harvard each year. Other schools are much better than my high school and the opportunity is far greater.

Who wants to explain to BK why it's beneficial to a city if its entire school system is good? It's not that hard... again... sometimes he doesn't use his brain when he posts.

Patrick Star said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Who wants to explain to BK why it's beneficial to a city if its entire school system is good? It's not that hard... again... sometimes he doesn't use his brain when he posts.
IHO, if you lived in this house zoned to Chaparral and Tesoro, I really think you would care less what was going on in the other schools in CUSD.  Because you know what?  You'll be too busy playing with your kids and that big backyard and volunteering at your own awesome schools.
If I can get home in time. And I wouldn't be able to pick them up or drop them off at school like I do now.

Not to mention I HATE commuting... I'll be a grumpy dad instead of a happy one.
And why would you be worried about what *might* happen to home values because all the schools are not as great as yours?  You buy this house, and you are not going anywhere.  They'll be taking you out of here in a box. This is a forever home.
It still makes a difference for an entire school system to be good... don't fall for the BK kool-aid... you know it's important.
I'd offer $799k. And heck, you even get a real built in refrigerator.  Not one of those fake ones popular in Irvine.
Hey now... I don't currently have a built-in and I'm fine with my stainless free standing. One man's fake is another man's magic food box.

Starlight East said:
From RC's post:
"Wife: Yeah, in looking back I never felt so insecure as when I lived in Irvine. Like so I?m a mom with a toddler and I?m sorry I don?t have high heels, I don?t wear ear-rings or makeup, my hair is a mess and I?m wearing week old sweats with oatmeal stains. And I have to get into my old Toyota Corolla everyday and show up at a fancy-themed birthday party with the smallest-sorriest gift. And I?m sorry for not being so ?put-together? like all the moms at Mommy & me who?s got their in-laws on one side and a nanny on the other side so they can just be on their cell-phones chatting away, drinking their $5 Starbucks..."

As an Irvine newbie, I have to wonder: where is that magical place in Irvine with those well put-together fancy moms in designer clothes? 

Also, is it inappropriate to ask my fellow WB Easterners to dress a little bit better when going out for a walk? Sadly I have not seen any KPOP style hotpants and miniskirts here.

I wonder that, too, because I'm in sweats most of the time.

More BK Kool-Aid:http://www.ocreader.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13341#p13341
BKTheExpert said:
You just dug your own grave>

Have you checked the Crime statistics in Floral Park It is spotless like Irvine. The County jail south of Floral Park is no difference than Musick low security jail to Irvine. No one has escaped from the County jail but Musick has numerous escapes up the unfinished paths of Alton Parkway behind PS and Foothill Ranch. It is walking distance to Woodbury and PS literally. The Santa Ana and County Sheriff Police headquarter is next to the County Jail and where is Mr. Hare's office in proximity to Musick. BTW, the SWAT support for Irvine are dispatched from Santa Ana. So don't tell me about the idiosyncrasy of Floral Park when you are known to have limited travel and exposure to really know or care to learn about other cities than Irvine. Your knowledge of SoCal is limited.

To the North of Floral Park is Fisher Park a 3 minute walk that connects to this trail head. It is the oldest of OC's park system that connects along the Santiago Creek to Park Santiago then up to the recreation area in Old Town Orange via foot path, creek bridges and bike trails. It continues up to the reservoir at Canyon Creek Reservoir that James Irvine tapped into to feed his agricultural empire before the PWA era reservoir were built. Along this trail that served Floral Park and Park Santiago are courts for Tennis, lawn bowling, and basket ball. OCM may chime in since she live next to the bowling Green. This park system is no lame ass stamp size pocket park or treacherous terrain with docent access only. It is the longest and the biggest nature park system in OC. Since you don't know much so here is some education for you so you can be smart among your TI trolls.

The Crime problems of SA is near Century High /Crevier BMW on Edinger. The distance of Floral Park from there is the same from West Park Irvine.

Regarding basketball court, the hoop and the court is in my property mounted to the gable end of my 4 car garage or my other choice is just a few minutes' walk to the Trailhead for recreational court. OCM's in-laws in Floral Park has their own private Tennis court and Jr Olympic size pool just to let you know. Your idol Mr. Young also lived in Floral Park.

So next time don't post things that you are not an expert in.
Blah blah blah blah blah. And BK thinks TIC has good PR... he makes Santa Ana sound like heaven.

Sorry... I may not be an expert on Floral Park but I am an expert on my own personal preferences which he will never understand. Floral Park is not for me... or everyone either... deal with it.

And BK, let me know next time you play in a pick-up basketball game at that park near Floral Park since your an expert on that... and you maybe can tell Graph and his buddies to play there instead of in Irvine too.

EDIT: Forgot the link. And I apologize to everyone for bringing this bickering here... now I'm reminded why it was actually a relief not to post at OCR. Maybe it wouldn't be a good idea for me to start posting there after all... if anything... for everyone else's sanity.

irvinehomeowner said:
Despite what others think, I believe many people who live in Irvine know that it's not a perfect city.

We also know that there are probably more house for less money in other cities but there are personal/work circumstances that prevent us from making that "wiser" decision.

But if you can afford it and if you are looking for...

1. Good school system (across the board... not just a single magnet school)
2. Relative safety (compared to other cities)
3. Large ethnic mix (c'mon... spend 5 minutes in Irvine and you'll know what I mean)
4. Newer homes (Irvine is one of the few cities that can still build new)
5. Central location (5/55/405)

... then Irvine is a solid choice. If it's not your cup of tea... that's perfectly fine... but don't hate on it because it doesn't fit your lifestyle at this particular point in your life.

Some of you may have lived here in the past, why was that? What were your reasons then? I'm sure you chose Irvine based on your life back then and is it that hard to understand that people today are in the same position you were back then?

I would love to have a home with a large lot and view but many of us put other factors higher on the list. Don't call us sheeple because we are concerned about the same things you were once concerned about. We are not all blinded by TIC... many of us actually like HOAs, structured neighborhoods, tot lots and community parks. And while I think places like Floral Park are beautiful, my kids are too young and the areas around it are too unsafe for me to even consider it. I can't even find a basketball court within 2 minutes of Floral Park where I think I could bring my kids and not be worried about them while I am double-dribbling, traveling and sullying the good name of what a baller should be like.

And one day I will probably not live in Irvine either. I want to live my waning years in a home with a dining room, a living room, a view and a large lot so that my grandchildren can run around... and unless I hit the Lotto, I doubt I'll be able to afford something like that in Irvine.

Irvine is NOT for everyone... but neither is any city.

Plus the beautiful houses of Floral Park are $1m+, and you still can't use the schools. So that leaves you the option of buying into another school district by purchasing property in another city if you are rich, or paying for private school. So if anyone is getting the impression that the nice parts of Santa Ana are affordable, they aren't.

The only argument I've heard against this is, "Yeah, but Irvine has HOA dues and Mello Roos, so you'd be saving that money living in SA." But not all areas of Irvine do. The older areas have neither. So good schools for free, and you have the freedom to paint your house any color you want.

irvinehomeowner said:
More BK Kool-Aid:http://www.ocreader.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13341#p13341
BKTheExpert said:
You just dug your own grave>

Have you checked the Crime statistics in Floral Park It is spotless like Irvine. The County jail south of Floral Park is no difference than Musick low security jail to Irvine. No one has escaped from the County jail but Musick has numerous escapes up the unfinished paths of Alton Parkway behind PS and Foothill Ranch. It is walking distance to Woodbury and PS literally. The Santa Ana and County Sheriff Police headquarter is next to the County Jail and where is Mr. Hare's office in proximity to Musick. BTW, the SWAT support for Irvine are dispatched from Santa Ana. So don't tell me about the idiosyncrasy of Floral Park when you are known to have limited travel and exposure to really know or care to learn about other cities than Irvine. Your knowledge of SoCal is limited.

To the North of Floral Park is Fisher Park a 3 minute walk that connects to this trail head. It is the oldest of OC's park system that connects along the Santiago Creek to Park Santiago then up to the recreation area in Old Town Orange via foot path, creek bridges and bike trails. It continues up to the reservoir at Canyon Creek Reservoir that James Irvine tapped into to feed his agricultural empire before the PWA era reservoir were built. Along this trail that served Floral Park and Park Santiago are courts for Tennis, lawn bowling, and basket ball. OCM may chime in since she live next to the bowling Green. This park system is no lame ass stamp size pocket park or treacherous terrain with docent access only. It is the longest and the biggest nature park system in OC. Since you don't know much so here is some education for you so you can be smart among your TI trolls.

The Crime problems of SA is near Century High /Crevier BMW on Edinger. The distance of Floral Park from there is the same from West Park Irvine.

Regarding basketball court, the hoop and the court is in my property mounted to the gable end of my 4 car garage or my other choice is just a few minutes' walk to the Trailhead for recreational court. OCM's in-laws in Floral Park has their own private Tennis court and Jr Olympic size pool just to let you know. Your idol Mr. Young also lived in Floral Park.

So next time don't post things that you are not an expert in.
Blah blah blah blah blah. And BK thinks TIC has good PR... he makes Santa Ana sound like heaven.

Sorry... I may not be an expert on Floral Park but I am an expert on my own personal preferences which he will never understand. Floral Park is not for me... or everyone either... deal with it.

And BK, let me know next time you play in a pick-up basketball game at that park near Floral Park since your an expert on that... and you maybe can tell Graph and his buddies to play there instead of in Irvine too.

EDIT: Forgot the link. And I apologize to everyone for bringing this bickering here... now I'm reminded why it was actually a relief not to post at OCR. Maybe it wouldn't be a good idea for me to start posting there after all... if anything... for everyone else's sanity.

Wow so much anger over there at OCR! Good for them--I guess they need the internet traffic.  Floral Park definitely has some beautiful homes but as you say, it is not for everyone. Just like Irvine is not for everyone. Hopefully Orange County is big enough for the both of you.

Seems like I need to clear the air here a bit... in no way is this thread directed at the general populace over at OCR. While part of it was actually done with BK in mind the general "others" I refer to are the regular bashers on the IHB.

The guys who don't understand why prices are so high in Irvine (I agree that they are high), the out of staters who have actually never even been to Irvine. For anyone over at OCR who thinks this is directed straight at them... they need to step back a little... it's just my opinion and you miss the point... I agree with your choice not to live in Irvine, it's not for everyone.

irvinehomeowner said:
Seems like I need to clear the air here a bit... in no way is this thread directed at the general populace over at OCR. While part of it was actually done with BK in mind the general "others" I refer to are the regular bashers on the IHB.

The guys who don't understand why prices are so high in Irvine (I agree that they are high), the out of staters who have actually never even been to Irvine. For anyone over at OCR who thinks this is directed straight at them... they need to step back a little... it's just my opinion and you miss the point... I agree with your choice not to live in Irvine, it's not for everyone.
Oh you mean for the handful of haters over there that do nothing but hate?  haha

traceimage said:
Starlight East said:
From RC's post:
"Wife: Yeah, in looking back I never felt so insecure as when I lived in Irvine. Like so I?m a mom with a toddler and I?m sorry I don?t have high heels, I don?t wear ear-rings or makeup, my hair is a mess and I?m wearing week old sweats with oatmeal stains. And I have to get into my old Toyota Corolla everyday and show up at a fancy-themed birthday party with the smallest-sorriest gift. And I?m sorry for not being so ?put-together? like all the moms at Mommy & me who?s got their in-laws on one side and a nanny on the other side so they can just be on their cell-phones chatting away, drinking their $5 Starbucks..."

As an Irvine newbie, I have to wonder: where is that magical place in Irvine with those well put-together fancy moms in designer clothes? 

Also, is it inappropriate to ask my fellow WB Easterners to dress a little bit better when going out for a walk? Sadly I have not seen any KPOP style hotpants and miniskirts here.

[/quote
traceimage said:
Starlight East said:
From RC's post:

Trace... Star... I have an assignment for the two of you for 2011... go meet some Korean moms, I know they are all around you, you just have to open your mouth and overcome the Irvine awkwardness that engulfs the entire city...

here are a few suggestions, go to any Korean majority Church, HK Mart, Fashion Island, Library... See if you can be-friend a K-mom and get invited to a 1-month/1st b-day party; chances are they would have spent more on decorations, pictures, cake, balloons, party favors than your wedding...

tell me if you feel a little insecure showing up in your sweats to what you assumed was a casual b-day party when everyone else around you are in suits, LV hand bags, and your usual South Coast Plaza attire...

OCR's version of this thread is full of irony... it just proves the point of my original thread.

I posted this partly because of BK's constant bashing of Irvine, when he himself not only lived in Irvine, but also designed many Irvine homes. Now while he may not agree with the lifestyle or the current products of Irvine, that's his decision... but don't disparage anyone because they choose to live here. Many of the people who bought here had very good reasons and were not "sheeple". Sure... it would be nice to live in an architectural masterpiece on a huge lot, but that comes with its own issues such as affordability and environment. I comment on Santa Ana's safety and while I'm sure it's not a problem for those who choose to live there, the point is that the rest of the city has issues. You can't just blindly live in one area and say it's fine while there is such a high crime rate (relatively) everywhere else, isn't that what BK claims that Irvinites do... turn a blind eye to suicides that are really murders? But I digress... the crux is that everyone has their reasons for where they live... what right does anyone have to dictate what those reasons should be?

And the reaction to my single hyperbolic (and even self-deprecating) sentence about Floral Park just illustrates the double-standard I was referring to in the "Future of OCR" thread. Members over there are jumping on my comment saying their 'hood is safe or why do I "constantly defend" Irvine. Compare that to the hundreds (and I do mean hundreds) of posts where BK is not only insulting Irvine and the builders... but the residents themselves. Does anyone there tell BK to relax? Or maybe because they don't read his posts they don't notice it. Even that crime cover-up thread was beyond ridiculous where I proved what BK was saying about the Lexus shooting was false... yet no one (except maybe Coltrane) called him out on it. But dare I say one thing about the safety of Santa Ana... and I become the Scarlet Letter.

Like I said back in March on the OCR, that cliquiness, that double-standard, that is one of the things that will prevent them from growing their community. Why would anyone who lives in Irvine and doesn't know BK become a member of OCR when one of their most respected members insults their home daily? I don't even think anyone at OCR is aware of how personally insulting BK got with some of the members here. And while there are posts here that are anti-BK, they don't even realize that most of them are reactions to BK's posts. They get all hung up because some of us doubt the validity of Mrs. BK's cop story yet it's okay for him to insult a member and their spouse with racist comments?

So is it just the IPD that hides its dirty laundry? Seems like the OCR has been doing some ignoring of BK laundry themselves.

Again, this isn't a thread about defending Irvine or degrading Santa Ana, it's about trying to understand and accept the choices people make. Maybe they'll get this... "Live and let live".

(RC: Feel free to cross post this one, in for dime, in for a dollar)

Patrick Star said:
And it does not take much effort or cost to achieve a put together look.  Your friends might want to take note of that.  Water to wash your clothes or use for steam in your iron is pretty cheap.  A haircut at Supercuts is only $15.  You can buy a nice polo shirt or pair of nice shorts or slacks at Kohl's for $15.  So going out to a social function looking like a slob does not make me feel any sympathy.  It just says the person does not care, or is lazy.  It says everything about THAT person who can't take 10 minutes to change into a decent pair of clothes, and says NOTHING about others who follow societal norms.
Easy for you to say.

Dressing up for IHO is like putting lipstick on a pig (to use a popular IHB image)... I'm still ugly and look like I've been wallowing in the mud.

But... I do have a killer left-handed spin move... ballahhh!

I think there have been some misunderstandings this week.  And I agree this is not a sustainable way of attracting traffic.  Like Pat said, we really don?t know each other fully; and a lot of what we post can be easily taken the wrong way.

There are a few things that I do know; no one is intentionally malicious here; most of those bad characters have came and gone; and I believe what we have left are people who underneath it all care about each other.  Since there is a basic level of trust; that doesn?t give us the license to blatantly hurt each other on sensitive topics.

There is one thing that I don?t say enough; I?ve maybe only mention this recently but it?s worth repeating.  I actually love you guys; all of you, here and at the other board; as a matter of fact, I have a heart for everyone in Irvine and beyond.  If you think love is too strong of a word it?s not.  I am called to loved, no, actually commanded to love.  Whatever ?truth? I see is ultimately override by love.  Again, if I come across condemning, judgmental or negative those are my issues, and thanks for calling me out on it.

You guys can say, I post from an unique standpoint; my wife and myself see the end results of the Orange County ?Pathology?; mainly of Irvine.  The wife (mainly) and I hear the stories of very lonely wives in desolate marriages; where most husbands are either overworked or addicted to work.  I see the never-ending cycle of materialism where it?s one purchase/hobby after another to satistify this insatiable spiritual needs.  I know the obsessive compulsions of lust, greed and chemical dependency.  I hear of the in-law power struggles; the passive or aggressive husbands who will not stand up for their wives against the domineering maternal figure.  I know another generation of very lonely boys who are never affirmed of their masculinity from their dads and a generation of lonely girls who are never consider captivating.

I guess you can say I see the true ugliness of Irvine, and it?s definitely now what you imagine at the town-gates of Woodbury.  I love you guys, I?m not going anywhere.  This post might not be for you; but it might be after all.

Back