Irvine Infrastructure

I've read posts about how Irvine is not nearly built out, and that was contrary to my sort of "built in" thinking about how it must be because this high demand *must* mean that housing is getting scarce. Having lived in West LA for 5 years, and Mid-LA (Midwilshire then Hollywood) for 3, I know about bad traffic and bad parking and how unpleasant it can make life in general. Ugly strip malls in LA often have parking attendants who tell you when you can park your car in an ultra-compact space.

I guess Irvine has around 280,000 people and IAC had planned on it having maybe 200,000 (?) I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the population capacity that Irvine could/should bear. I know this is a complicated idea because, if housing/stores are well placed, total number of miles driven goes down, etc. Any thoughts about Irvine infrastructure?

<p> </p>

<p>Local cities have special interest to expand their population. Building permits, property taxes, retail taxes and business taxes are all revenue for the cities. Cal Tran which has jurisdiction over the local highways is completely independent of the local cities and their income will take years to address the traffic problem on both 91and 5 (San Diego)</p>

<p>Many land owners have no invested long term interest to promote success and growth of the communities. They made their money and left down.</p>

<p>TIC other hand has commitment and vested interest to protect RE investments and long term success to communities so its future land inventory is worth a lot more. Due to this selfish business reason Irvine homeowners and renters benefit from the up to date infrastructure such as utility and storm drain water and retention management, street widening and 20 lane freeway, sound and landscape buffered walls, signalized on ramp system, long stacking street sand deceleration lane entering into neighborhood communities and shopping centers to avoid street intersection gridlocks, and most importantly new schools.</p>

<p>The city of Irvine planners and building department are the best in the country. A well established organization attracts the crème of the crop people. All the infrastructure and civil engineering related issues IMO are well resolved and addressed.</p>

<p>TIC does not own the remaining lands on Jamboree and has no control over the high density for sale products. I see the Jamboree artery as a potential traffic nightmare because of the high-rises along this traffic corridor and Village of Columbus and District Retail center in Tustin utilizing mostly Irvine streets.</p>

I remember in the early 80s leisurely jaywalking across Culver from Woodbridge to Culverdale school during rush hour. There was simply no traffic. Culver seemed so big and empty. I'd say 25 years later it is holding up well to the massive increase in traffic. The planners knew what they were doing. Now when I look at places like the District at Jamboree, I don't see the planners caring anymore. The traffic for this area will be a nightmare, actually, it already is and most of the stores are even open yet.

I am really curious to see how the Great Park turns out and what kind of impact it would have on traffic.

While actual housing might not be limited with all of the new developments, decent housing is. These new areas, specifically the Columbus areas, are terrible and take a huge step away from what made Irvine Irvine. So many people move to Irvine and don't have a clue what Irvine has to offer so they just settle for any new housing product without actually researching neighborhoods.

<p>I agree that the Jamoboree corridor will become a nightmare. My commute for the past 3 years has been from roughly Irvine Blvd and Culver to South Coast Metro. I take the 261 S (on-ramp at Irvine Blvd.), continue on Jamboree, take the 405 N, and exit at Bristol. In just the past 3 years, the traffic on the toll road and on Jamboree has gotten a lot worse. Now that development of Tustin MCAS is underway in earnest, we are in trouble. As bkshopr mentions, the traffic generated by those all high rises will be terrible. But lets not forget about the East Orange project further up the 261 in the hills. That will generate a ton of 261 to Jamboree traffic. As will the future Orchard Hills -- people will get on the 261 at Portola Parkway. I've got to find a new route to work, or a new job.</p>

<p>But I disagree that Irvine planners knew what they were doing. They were working with almost a blank slate in the 1970's and failed to include a light rail transit system that could have reduced congestion, vehicle miles traveled, air pollution (including greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to climate change), etc. History will not remember them kindly. I may be coming down on the planners a little hard because light rail is a regional issue, but what a wasted opportunity . On the other hand, they have done a great job with bike trails (a carbon free form of transportation).</p>

Have anyone heard of Mountain Park? Does that new development have access to Jamboree also? I used to live in Orange and I know alot of people use Jamboree instead of the 5 and 55 freeway.

I think Mountain Park will be right off the 241, but Santiago Trails (aka East of Orange) might use Jamboree, although by its placement it appears that they are pushing the 241/261 corridor.

With respect to BK's comments all I can say is, I am so glad that TIC persuaded the local jurisdictions to form the toll road agency for the 261 so that users have to pay the toll rather than having Tustin and Irvine condemn part of The Marketplace and surrounding properties to widen the roads to provide decent traffic circulation. [/sarcasm] Wouldn't want to mess with TIC's commercial ventures and favor residents instead, would we?

Is it me, or does it seem like the City of Irvine prefers to nickel and dime its residents for typical governmental functions (trash hauling, streets, schools, lighting, landscaping, some parks, etc.) so that it can spend its money on more "discretionary" spending like recreational activities and other community services? According to the latest budget, public safety is the largest expenditure (fine by me), but public works and community services have equal appropriations. Doesn't that seem a little ... weird?

Don't blame the lack of a light rail system on TIC. There was a movement to put one in Irvine to UCI and the local areas 5 years ago, but it was shot down by Irvine residents, not TIC.

I have to agree with Eval....Irvine collects a boat load in taxes and really does not pay for any development infrastructure. I do have a question though, since Mello-Roos is suppose to offset builders cost for putting the infrastructure together for new neighborhoods, who gets stuck with the upkeep?

<em>"who gets stuck with the upkeep?"</em>

The water and sewer utility districts are responsible for maintaining the underground pipes, the City is responsible for maintaining the roads, and the HOA or the city is responsible for maintaining the parks.

I visited the partially open district on Thursday. . . total traffic nightmare. I guess they're going to extend Tustin Ranch Rd. through to Barranca, but still, I feel like that area is going to be very ugly and there won't be much to do about it. Oh well.

<p>Skeptic, </p>

<p> While I agree with you completely, I believe TIC has thier fingers in most everything as well as being "favorable" to the city for agreeing with it (althought not always).</p>

<p>good luck</p>

<p>-bix</p>

Back