Irvine housing- % to income

Los Angeles , San Francisco, and San Jose have highest home price to income ratio.http://www.forbes.com/sites/zillow/...come-ratios-hiding-behind-low-mortgage-rates/

I would guess average home buyers at Irvine purchase home for about 5 to 6 times of their annual household income.  However,  most buyer's loan to income ratio are probably at a manageable 30% due to high down payment and low interest rate.  Spend 30% of pre-tax income on housing is high but nothing here in Irvine is cheap.

I think certain cultures are okay with spending a greater % of income on housing. Chinese people hate renting because they feel like they are throwing their money away. They'll eat instant ramen everyday so that they can pay the mortage.

Costco said:
Chinese people hate renting because they feel like they are throwing their money away. They'll eat instant ramen everyday so that they can pay the mortage.

what do they feel like when they grossly overpay for an irvine home?

furioussugar said:
You hear all the time that the cost of housing shouldn't exceed a certain %.  And with the run up in prices lately,  I often wonder how far families are stretching their budgets to buy here.  Of course,  Irvine is VERY special  ;)

What do you think is the average % of income people are now spending to buy in Irvine?  All cash doesn't count as well as people who purchased more than 10 years ago. 

Of course, this is an entirely subjective question-  but I'm curious as to what everyone here thinks the % of housing costs (P&I, HOA and taxes) are against gross income.

You are thinking like the poor white man.  If you think like the poor white man you will never become like the rich yellow man.  The reason there is so much affordable housing in Irvine is because the rich yellow man is squeezing the poor white man out and the poor white man petition the government to create more affordable housing so he can stay.

test said:
furioussugar said:
You hear all the time that the cost of housing shouldn't exceed a certain %.  And with the run up in prices lately,  I often wonder how far families are stretching their budgets to buy here.  Of course,  Irvine is VERY special  ;)

What do you think is the average % of income people are now spending to buy in Irvine?  All cash doesn't count as well as people who purchased more than 10 years ago. 

Of course, this is an entirely subjective question-  but I'm curious as to what everyone here thinks the % of housing costs (P&I, HOA and taxes) are against gross income.

You are thinking like the poor white man.  If you think like the poor white man you will never become like the rich yellow man.  The reason there is so much affordable housing in Irvine is because the rich yellow man is squeezing the poor white man out and the poor white man petition the government to create more affordable housing so he can stay.
Wow, good thing I bought when I did or else I would have been priced out forever and would have to get on the list for one of those affordable housing units. 

H        O        M        E        R said:
I think it's about 5-6% in Irvine...

I won't feel safe with anything over 3%..

Sorry you mean 50-60% of gross income?

If monthly housing is 5-6% of YOUR income then I think you can consider moving to Newport or Palos Verdes...

test said:
furioussugar said:

Test is one sour grape.

Test, were you priced out of Irvine at the early part of 2012 (the market bottom, in case you have a hard time comprehending) with the ultra-low interest rates? If that is the case, I totally understand you being upset.

Based on test's comment, it seems he is either poor and white or poor and yellow. Cant really tell if he is poor and brown. We will have to wait for a racist response from test to make that determination. Test, can you please clarify?

borca said:

If monthly housing is 5-6% of YOUR income then I think you can consider moving to Newport or Palos Verdes...

Or both!

borca said:

test is probably 60% to 70% at an affordable housing OUTSIDE of Irvine. No wonder he is always mad. He has no money left to go out and have fun, that's why he is always on this forum venting and being grumpy.

We should set up a welfare fund for test.

life is sad for typical Americans - big companies moves job overseas, enrich people like the Chinese and now the Chinese are buying Canadian farm land and America homes, and pricing out the natives.

broda said:
They don't care that they over paid...it's all coming from the Chinese government

Well, that's what we get for a decade of cheap imports...

Karmas a bitch ain't it?

The California Court Company said:
life is sad for typical Americans - big companies moves job overseas, enrich people like the Chinese and now the Chinese are buying Canadian farm land and America homes, and pricing out the natives.

broda said:
They don't care that they over paid...it's all coming from the Chinese government

http://thechinaquestion.com/

world chaos said:
Well, that's what we get for a decade of cheap imports...

Karmas a bitch ain't it?

The California Court Company said:

broda said:

Back