Irvine Homes blogger buys a home

It's funny, I never really knew of the perceived status of Irvine until I started reading IHB posts. For me, it was just a place to live like any other, except there are lots of parks, Asians, and it's conveniently located. It's interesting now to know that some people view living in Irvine as some sort of status symbol. For me personally, some other cities might be status symbols. Maybe Newport Beach, Newport Coast, or Laguna Beach, but not Irvine.

I do think the higher prices of Irvine compared to surrounding areas are largely due to Asians, as BK mentioned. The reputation of the Irvine schools is a big reason for this.

I like living in Irvine because it's convenient and easy, parking is plentiful, lots of parks, community amenities, local plazas, etc. BUT I also get annoyed with the extreme "planned" feel of the city. Nothing developed organically here; it was all part of some Irvine Company plan. And I'm sick of all the chain restaurants. So I like to leave Irvine on the weekends to try new restaurants and go to new places, whatever. Irvine feels stifling sometimes.

And the schools. So yeah, I hear they're good. (No personal experience with them.) The legendary Irvine schools are part of the reason we bought a house in Irvine. Not necessarily because our son simply MUST go to Irvine schools, but because I'm hoping somewhere down the line a nice Chinese family will pay us more than our house is worth so their kids can go to Irvine schools. Personally I'd be happy with schools in Fountain Valley, Huntington Beach, Laguna Niguel, or Aliso Viejo too. And those are just the ones I know about; I'm sure there are other good local districts too. So I'm wondering if this "I bought a house in Irvine because of the schools" sentiment from a lot of homebuyers is because of the potential resale value, rather than the schools themselves. For me, home location is the most valuable factor of all. I'd rather have a tiny condo in a nice area than a gorgeous house in a less nice area. Some areas get revitalized and become better neighborhoods, but more get worse over time. I think of the schools in Irvine as an artificial force, hopefully propping up prices in Irvine for the long haul. That's what I'm hoping.

Similar here, the IHB helped me to realize that Irvine can get boring very fast, and that there's a narrow range in the things that you can expect if you have an eclectic taste, so same as you, as the weekend comes, I become an adventurer and search in the LA metro area for places to go and visit with my family.

[quote author="Rocker" date=1259418097]Similar here, the IHB helped me to realize that Irvine can get boring very fast, and that there's a narrow range in the things that you can expect if you have an eclectic taste, so same as you, as the weekend comes, I become an adventurer and search in the LA metro area for places to go and visit with my family.</blockquote>

Welcome to my previous Irvine life for 18 years. The most boring place I've ever lived. The pocket park and sidewalks got old really fast. Got really tired of chain restaurants where I ate more than 150 times in a year and even Sam Woo became Sam Boo! Sure I did sell my home for a profit but the money I gained were not enough to compensate the 18 years quality of life I lost.

[quote author="traceimage" date=1259302259]

... but because I'm hoping somewhere down the line a nice Chinese family will pay us more than our house is worth so their kids can go to Irvine schools. </blockquote>

Smart.

Bk - In your opinion, do Asians find a planned community more attractive than some other cultural groups? Are there aspects of Irvine that Asians find attractive besides the schools?

Others - Please do not start a "you're a racist" bash. Bk has been studying demographic trends for decades and is paid to be accurate and knowledgeable.

Back