Irvine High School vs. University High School

If your son is not adept at social skills, try sending him to "experience college/university" programs when he is in HS, where he can take 1 or 2 classes at college/university. Study abroad programs in Asia or Europe might also be good.

Back when I was in high school, my teacher sent me to take a computer class at Cerritos College. It was a job skill oriented class with older adults. Suddenly my worldview expanded from high school cliques to office politics at Boeing, IBM mainframe applications and BBS meet-ups.
Yes, BBS meetups! Haha... I have memories of meeting up at Camelot in Anaheim for mini-golf & arcade games with the local group of nerds. It was all very intriguing figuring out which person went with which screen name.

Yes, BBS meetups! Haha... I have memories of meeting up at Camelot in Anaheim for mini-golf & arcade games with the local group of nerds. It was all very intriguing figuring out which person went with which screen name.

I was introduced to the BBS scene by older peers & purchased my first 1200 baud modem soon after. Since the free calling area was limited, I mostly only dialed into Cerritos/Lakewood/Cypress area BBS's. Clockwork Orange, Eclectic Triage, Mr Ed's, Arrakis, etc. Was also on a couple Amiga BBS's - I owned an A1000+A1300 genlock for subtitle work back then, supplied tapes to Anime Expo in early days.

Before the web, I recall dialing into waffle BBS to access usenet. Sometime after that, telenet & talk/ytalk before irc.

Still friends with many people from that era 2-3 decades ago.

Last edited:
I was introduced to the BBS scene by older peers & purchased my first 1200 baud modem soon after. Since the free calling area was limited, I mostly only dialed into Cerritos/Lakewood/Cypress area BBS's. Clockwork Orange, Eclectic Triage, Mr Ed's, Arrakis, etc. Was also on a couple Amiga BBS's - I owned an A1000+A1300 genlock for subtitle work back then, supplied tapes to Anime Expo in early days.

Before the web, I recall dialing into waffle BBS to access usenet. Sometime after that, telenet & talk/ytalk before irc.

Still friends with many people from that era 2-3 decades ago.
I didn't have a home computer during that era, but two of my neighborhood friends did and I would post on Emerald Isle when I was over at their houses. It was really the predecessor to AOL chat / AIM becoming popular in the late 90's. Besides chatting, the thing I remember was playing text-based RPG's.

It's crazy to think that dialing into a BBS would tie up the phone line for hours, and nobody in the house really cared. If they missed a call, so what? The caller would just try again later.

I didn't have a home computer during that era, but two of my neighborhood friends did and I would post on Emerald Isle when I was over at their houses. It was really the predecessor to AOL chat / AIM becoming popular in the late 90's. Besides chatting, the thing I remember was playing text-based RPG's.

It's crazy to think that dialing into a BBS would tie up the phone line for hours, and nobody in the house really cared. If they missed a call, so what? The caller would just try again later.
I was an original BBS guy - 300 baud modem on my Atari 800 in the early 80s, lusting after a Hayes 1200 Smartmodem. I remember downloading Duke Nukem for my little brother in Irvine in the early 90s.

Back