Irvine Growth Among Fastest

hey no paywall for LA Times?  We should link thru them now..

Is that a pic of Cypress Village?  And why is that big dude walking such a small dog?

"Real estate agents say Irvine's schools are the biggest draw. When Tahir Yasin moved his family from the Houston area to work for Disney, he and his wife spent months searching for a rental house in Irvine, despite the lengthy commute to his workplace in Glendale several days a week.

'It was crazy.... People are lined up three, four, five to rent a place," Yasin said. "If it was me living alone, I'd live in Glendale. But I'm commuting for my kids.'"

HE IS DRIVING 50 MILES EACH WAY, THROUGH L.A., JUST SO HIS KID CAN ATTEND A PUBLIC SCHOOL! This truly deserves an award!

images

The California Court Company said:
jealous again? that this "stupid" guy considers Irvine above all else?

I'd say the same if he was commuting between Glendale and Foothill Ranch.

If this guy is married (and I assume he is), I mostly blame the wife. There are a lot of selfish women out there who wouldn't mind their mate sitting in traffic 3 hours per day so they can have it their way - i.e. "live in Irvine". He's probably doing this to please her. The kids don't know the difference - he's not really doing it for them. And like he said, he sure as heck ain't doing it for himself. And yeah, I feel qualified to take a swing at the wife since I am one. If my husband got a job 58 miles / 1.5 hours away, my first question would be: "When do we move? Let's make this easy on you. We go wherever you go." Everybody's needs should matter. I don't know how she could sleep at night knowing her husband is beating his brains out for her. Like my old realtor used to say, stressful commutes are a recipe for disaster when it comes to the marriage. She's seen so many divorces because of it. Sad. You know what kids need more than a college preparatory academy?.... scratch that, Irvine public school?... they need a happy mom & dad who have a strong marriage.

And btw, I sympathize with people who must commute, for ex: Riverside to L.A., due to affordability issues. For some, that is the only way they can make ends meet. Those folks are in Survival Mode. I understand. However, these people aren't off-setting the commute with affordability, they are paying extra for the privilege. Lol!!! Unbelievable! I'm pretty sure there are lots of other public school campuses between Irvine and Glendale that meet or exceed state targets. Come on, people!

But what if there are other factors? Like they want to live in Orange County... or there are not any places near Glendale that they would like to live? Or they have family/friends in Orange County?

I know a few people who live in Irvine/Tustin Ranch but commute to LA (either by drive or train)... it's not "stupid"... it's how many people live.

I would question the people who live in the Inland Empire and have that long commute to LA or OC... but that's because I'm biased against living in the IE.

Using the commute argument, than anyone who works near the Irvine area shouldn't even consider South County even if it has cheaper/bigger homes and a decent school district.

I don't know why the guy commuting from Irvine to Glendale didn't consider closer cities with good schools like La Canada Flintridge, San Marino, South Pasadena or Arcadia.

Vinster said:
I don't know why the guy commuting from Irvine to Glendale didn't consider closer cities with good schools like La Canada Flintridge, San Marino, South Pasadena or Arcadia.

That was my first thought. San Marino is pretty.. Arcadia looks old and ugly. But yes, if schools are his basic need, both have rocking public schools! What's wrong with private schools BTW?

Cubic Zirconia said:
Vinster said:

That was my first thought. San Marino is pretty.. Arcadia looks old and ugly. But yes, if schools are his basic need, both have rocking public schools! What's wrong with private schools BTW?

Expensive?

cowlemon said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
Vinster said:

Expensive?

Pasadena, Sierra Madre, Eagle Rock all have very nice neighborhoods and is within a closer vicinity of Glendale.  I have coworkers who say the Metrolink makes the IE not so bad for commuting.  If they took away the Metrolink they'd definitely move out of the IE.

Irvine to Downtown LA on the Metro takes about 45 minutes.  No so bad when you're not the one driving.

broda said:
cowlemon said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
Vinster said:

Expensive?

Pasadena, Sierra Madre, Eagle Rock all have very nice neighborhoods and is within a closer vicinity of Glendale.  I have coworkers who say the Metrolink makes the IE not so bad for commuting.  If they took away the Metrolink they'd definitely move out of the IE.

Irvine to Downtown LA on the Metro takes about 45 minutes.  No so bad when you're not the one driving.

Yeah, but last I checked, the school system there isn't all that great, and that Indian? couple specially mentioned school system.

Arcadia is quite close to Glendale and the school is highly rated or head toward the westside in Granada Hills where El Camino won the national academic decathlon yearly. Better yet head over to Porter Ranch for free Soju, KBBQ and good schools.

I went to an open house in La Ca?ada the first weekend it was on the market and there was a line to go in to see it.  Ten times more pushy people than I've ever seen at an Irvine open house.  Two blocks away there was another open house that was in the Glendale school district.  A much nicer house, $200,000 cheaper no one was there.

La Canada/Pasadena/Glendale/Arcadia/San Mario/nearby cities

Nice areas.. what home or neighborhood (less than $1m) would you buy?

zovall said:
La Canada/Pasadena/Glendale/Arcadia/San Mario/nearby cities

Nice areas.. what home or neighborhood (less than $1m) would you buy?

I would rank San Marino>Pasadena>Arcadia <(same)>Glendale (never been to La Canada) just by the look and feel only.

Those tall and aged trees at San Marino are really awesome, doesn't hurt to have Huntington Library nearby too. It has close to real privacy in those curvy roads with trees hiding the homes, while at the same time just a short drive from shopping and freeways.

To me San Marino/Pasadena is like Newport Beach/Irvine. While San Marino/Pasadena could be more pricey than Irvine, right?

He better make some pretty good money to think about moving to San Marino.  Arcadia has pockets that are much more affordable though.  However, if I were to live in Arcadia I'd want to live on the other side of foothill away from the 210. 

On the average, I'd guess that San Marino is more expensive than Irvine.  The buy in to get a home in San Marino right now is 988k and over $600/ sq. ft.  That's asking price and I'd expect it to close for more.
The most expensive house in San Marino is asking $17 million.  Like any city there are pockets that are better than others.  However, San Marino's bad pockets are nothing like Irvine's bad pockets. 

SoCal said:
The California Court Company said:
jealous again? that this "stupid" guy considers Irvine above all else?

I'd say the same if he was commuting between Glendale and Foothill Ranch.

between Glendale and Foothill Ranch that is indeed plain stupidity. There is nothing special about FR that you can pretty much find a lot of alternatives throughout the LA area that are closer to Glendale.

between Glendale and Irvine though, I don't think it is wise but at least this guy is taking a lot of sacrifice for his family.

Back