Irvine ?Diversity? versus True Diversity ? MR III

roundcorners

Hello all, happy December; oh how time flies; in this third installment of finding meaningful relationships; I though I touch on another recent observation.  Now, I?m sure I?ll be getting flamed again for stirring the pot; so I?ll just go ahead and say as always, I?m inviting dissenting viewpoints.  There seems to be a lack of interesting controversy lately anyway.  I don?t usually mind being called names and being disliked; after all I do have to have some thick skin in sales; but I have to admit the last few comments did hurt a little; my comments and opinions are never personal attacks and I do try to be as objective as possible.  Also, a lot of observations are colored through lenses of my struggles and experiences; a lot of what I write also helps me to process my decisions and learn about my preferences.  And, of course I have to keep in mind the slivers of the personas we write here on the forum is a mere refection of who we are in real life.

So we had a few holidays the past few months, Halloween, Veterans Day and of course Thanksgiving; and I along with the family have been visiting my parents in the South Bay more frequently.  I took the occasions to reconnect with some old friends, neighbors and of course hang out at our favorite city.  And once again, strange patterns started appear and I made a mental note to turn on the tape recorder for I?m sure this will make great message board stuff.

Well we all know how Irvine loves to advertise how ?diverse? the city is.  We got this many cultures, languages; this whole Global Festival thing.  Yes and to a point, I can agree, sure, I can bump into an Iranian at Panera Bread and I have Indian and Korean friends down the hall; and sure your kids might have a classroom that speak 20 different languages; but how diverse is Irvine really?

How come when we talk about diversity; we automatically think of skin color and culture.  There are a whole host of variables that make someone different from the next.  TIC says; yes we have a rich vibrant array of people from around the world; and Irvine is a dynamic place where people interact and engage each other.  And I like to argue that can?t be more far from the truth.

We had a Sunday where we served with a bunch of kids at church in Rolling Hills (South Bay) and then again, with some more kids at our church in Irvine later that afternoon.  I was casually asking the five year olds what they wanted to be when they grew up; the first batch of kids gave the usual answers; fireman, astronauts, princesses, pirate and rock stars; almost all of the second batch of kids answered, a doctor; with the exception of two who wants to be a veterinarian and an accountant.  Dude, how many five year-old you know want to crunch numbers?  The parents got to have some influence there.  Now, there is nothing wrong with wanting to be doctors; I?ll be the first to admit; if I were to have a heart attack; my church would be the perfect place, because I personally know at least three cardiologists.  But doesn?t this little anecdote give you just a little pause?

When you look at this city that supposedly emphasizes diversity; all I see are not only cookie cutter houses, but cookie cutter lives that just happen to encompass some people of different races and cultures.  A lot of that rich diversity that I grew up in the South Bay is completely absent; and I?ll try to explain.  Diversity to me is not only skin deep but so much more; it is the entirety of a person; their background, social-economical status, experience, interests, physical characteristics just to name a few.  Remember how I wrote, that people don?t interact because it might be too diverse here?  It is tuning out that people don?t really interact because people here lead mundane lives and could care less about the other mundane lives around them.

Tell me if this is true.  If you?re a programmer or a physician working in Irvine, do you really ?talk shop? with your cohorts?  I have listened to some of these conversations; they might share some common professional interests, mutual colleagues or networks but for the most part those conversations might last about 30 minutes and the introduction ends.  Unless they are close friends to begin with or have some sort of professional relations those friendships usually don?t last.  You are deep friends with those different from you.  The people most interesting, most intriguing are people whose lives, interests, passions and careers are completely different from yours.

I picked a programmer, a physician and some sort of engineer as the predominate professions I see around me in Irvine.  Well for those of us who have jobs left, these seem to be dominate.  Again these are all honorable professions and this might just be the major job sectors of OC and Irvine but where is the diversity in that?

And it?s not even your profession; you look at education, social-economical status, personality, type of cars, housing, hobbies, parental styles to body types and it is almost identical across the board.  When is the last time you see an obese couple at any Irvine retail center?  When have you heard of an Irvine high school drop out?  When have you heard of a family who had to actually take food from the Second Harvest Food Bank?  When have you seen or heard of an Irvine High School student having to work part-time at an Irvine fast food establishment?  When was the last time you?ve seen an 80?s model vehicle roaming the streets of Irvine?

By the way, this is another subject but all the things I mention above do exist in Irvine; the numbers might be small; or the people might be so isolated that they are virtually invisible to the general public.  One thing is for sure the city does a great job at hiding the outcasts.  I do know of Irvine families who are going through their second year of unemployment; my wife counseled some CDM drop-outs and druggies; and I have driven my neighbors to various food banks around town.  Yet how many more isolated families are quietly suffering behind the beautiful stucco.  This subtle yet loud rigidity and conformity of true diversity is what really irks me about Irvine.  You can be like my downstairs neighbor, who is a single mom, whose boyfriend has been in jail for the past six months; who can barely keep down a job, can barely take care of your toddle and still project an image of well-being and maintain this fake conformist smile that everything is great.  What is even more depressing to think about is; that even if she reaches out for help; I?m not sure many around here would do much to help.

So we are not given the permission to be poor; we are not given the permission interrupt each other?s busy schedules; we are not to be different; overweight, desperate, ugly, an outcast, a misfit in this city.  We do not welcome true diversity; there are no real homeless folks around; well except for the folks outside the Trader Joe?s begging for donations.  Again this is another subject, but I almost always take the time to talk to these people.  Do you know the shelters they stay at, drop them off, one by one in each city as early as 5 in the morning; and pick them up around 10 at night?  They are not given meals or money; some have no choice but to stay at these shelters; so if the next time you can?t give money; maybe you can stop to cheer some of these people up and maybe buy them a meal.  Their average collection in an entire day at Woodbury can be as little at $40.

What I love about LA is that normal, means normal, the average.  I?ve been in Irvine so long that I almost forgot what normal people look like.  I love the diversity of sitting next to the nicest, warmest, scariest looking biker dudes at a Calvary Chapel in Gardena.  I miss just how eclectic the West Side can get; the kid and I actually meet the Iguana Man in Santa Monica; this dude walks around with his three foot Iguana on his shoulders.  For those from LA, what happened to the Bird Man?  But I just been meeting the most interesting characters lately; this one guy actually hand makes harps in his garage.  He actually makes a living carving wood to craft these beautiful instruments.  I have meet recently starving authors; bohemians, artists, small business owners to multi-billionaires who own some of the skyscrapers you see around town.  They are some of the most interesting diverse people around; people you can spend hours asking questions to and taking a life time to get to know.  Again there is nothing wrong with doctors and CPAs; but if that is all you ?know? that is around; that is a bit depressing.

I know for a lot of you Irvine Asians, you can?t even comprehend this; but there are actually other Asians in LA who didn?t go to college; they don?t have MBAs; who don?t work behind a computer and are NOT the losers you think they are!  They are out there, why don?t you go meet some of them.

The wife is a huge education fan; I?m not so much; but the conversation when something like this last night; if one day; our son comes up to us and decides not to go to college; after exploring all the options, we would be alright with that.  If his passion for making a responsible modest lifestyle doesn?t involve a higher degree, than we have not choice but to respect his decision.  How many of you Irvine parents can accept that?  How is that for Irvine diversity?

You are talking about a different diversity.

Irvine in itself is different from LA, which is why people live there. This can easily be written about the difference in diversity between Compton and Beverly Hills.

And for your last paragraph, way to load the gun with the ammunition you would like to shoot. There is a reason why parents live in Irvine, for the education, so of course if their kids decide to forego that route, there would be some concern. But that's not to say there aren't parents who would support them. Despite the outliers, there is historical evidence that college education improves a person's chance to be able to secure a stable career. What parent does not want that for their child? Or I guess we can wait until the next real estate bubble and tell them to skip college and become mortgage brokers.

I?m having a little trouble understanding your question IHO?

I can take your question in two ways I guess; if you are arguing; other cities like Compton and Beverly Hills are also as un-diverse as Irvine?  Like people in Compton are all say poor and drug dealers; and people in Beverly Hills are rich, movie stars, that there isn?t much diversity there either?  Or, people choose or don?t choose to live in Compton for the reasons people choose or don?t choose to live in Beverly Hills?  So people in that particular city are all similar, because that is what they choose?

I guess all I?m saying is that TIC advertises this Utopian diverse society; and I?m saying that is simply false advertising.  The people who are considering Irvine to settle down; see all this glossy marketing material and think the city is this panacea for their lives.  Buying a house is one of the biggest investments any family will ever make and sure there are people of different cultures here but that doesn?t translate to traveling the world within the boundaries of the city?

On the other hand, I do see that being in such a bubble with the fa?ade of diversity can actually be harmful.  A quick example is if all you see all your life are middle class families from India; your child might start to think that all the people from India are middle class.  Whereas, if you see a variety of different social-economical Indians from different backgrounds; you?ll have a better picture of the world.

I do notice that middle school age children of families I know who live in Irvine, but make it a priority to take mission trips are so much more adjusted.  They see the grinding poverty of people who live on less than $1 a day.  They have seen and help kids their age who have to drink polluted green water and are relegated to scavenging or begging for food all day.  They appreciate their lives so much more than kids who simply focus on academics and never leave the city.  An exposure to different people of different walks of live can teach volumes of realities ? the good and bad side of life.

This gets to my next point about education.  I am responsible as a parent not only to my child?s academic education; having a great education again is NOT the panacea that most parents think; it is also instilling a moral compass; an active spiritual life, developing character, people/social skills, compassion, and instilling a purpose greater than himself; greater than just making a bunch of money and collecting things?

You are sort of understanding what I'm saying.

What I mean is diversity can be found at macro and micro levels. Compton can be considered diverse depending on perspective... as can Beverly Hills. But when you try to compare them against each other... the units of measurement change. You are trying to compare LA diversity to Irvine diversity... those are different.

To many who live in Irvine, what TIC advertises is exactly what they get... and want. It may not be everyone's cup of tea... because if it were... EVERYONE would move to Irvine. But you have to admit, there has to be a large number of people who like what they get because TIC would not have been able to sell 800+ homes in less than a year in a down economy.

Sounds to me like you want diversity to mean different levels of income, culture, ethnicity, education, employment, religion, Mac vs. PC, iPhone vs. EVO etc etc. You're going to be hard pressed to find that in ONE city. Irvine is meant to be a middle-class city... so you're going to have a hard time finding homeless people you can have a deep meaningful conversation with.

As for your bubble theory... that's stretching it. My kids don't think the world is only made up of asian and middle eastern kids. They know about homeless people, rich people and other cultures and ethnicities... you don't have to live in a environment like that to "experience"... that's a bunch of baloney if you ask me. I would rather my kids live where they are now because I don't see any intrinsic value in moving back to where I grew up just so they can "taste" life.

Like PatStar said over on OCR about this same subject... just because you don't like it and it's not your life... doesn't mean you should denigrate it for others. Isn't that what this country was founded on? Freedom of choice? Don't "persecute" people because they choose to live a middle-class life in relative safety rather than spend all of their free time at soup kitchens. That's what diversity is... it's just not the diversity you want so instead of questioning Irvine and trying to "change" it... just move to somewhere that fits what you think is "true diversity".

RC, I agree with you that true diversity is more than a bunch of multicultural faces on a brochure. But we all see the world through our own eyes. If we want to see a particular city in a certain way, we'll see it. If you want to see Irvine as a boring, bland utopia with no diversity, you'll see it. If you want to see it as a bustling city with lots of different kinds of people, you'll see that, too.

What's frustrating about your "observations" is that most of them are nothing but stereotypes. How could you know, how could you even presume to know, that all (or even most) of the Asians in Irvine think people who don't go to college are losers? How do you know that many of the parents in Irvine wouldn't be just as accepting as you if their children chose not to go to college? And what makes you think that most other OC cities wouldn't be the same way? If you think Irvine is a bland, boring, faux-utopian wasteland, then where are the local interesting cities? Lake Forest? Mission Viejo? Laguna Niguel? I think you'll find that most comparable cities around here are also not very fascinating or diverse, as you define it. I highly doubt that Mission Viejoans, or whatever you call them, are really that much more likely to be chatting with homeless people and buying them meals.

I'm not saying Irvine is the most exciting place to live. Hardly. But that's not why people live here. I've lived in places that were exciting, and I'm glad I did, but I'm in a different life phase now and I don't want to have to look over my shoulder all the time when walking at night, or step over human excrement on the sidewalk, or be asked 483992 times a week for spare change by drug-addicted teenagers. I don't want the urban lifestyle; I don't want to LIVE in that kind of diversity.

I emphasized "live" because I still want to experience it sometimes, just not live in it. I think you forget that living in a place does not necessarily define you. Just because I live in Irvine doesn't mean I don't appreciate all that the big city or rural areas have to offer. I like going to LA, the IE, San Diego, or wherever, and I like coming home to Irvine at night. I don't live in a bubble just because I live in Irvine. People don't stop being the interesting beings they are just because of where they live. And I think most people really are kind of interesting in their own way if you get to know them.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think your problems with Irvine stem from your own life experiences, specifically your past interaction with Asians. Maybe they done you wrong, made you feel poor or stupid or cheated on you or whatever. I get that. But that's life. There are superficial bozos and jerks in every race and ethnicity and in every place in the world. Don't stereotype all Asians. Don't stereotype an entire city. And maybe you should try talking to more Irvine people. Not just the homeless people or that Trader Joe's lady who you deem interesting, but ordinary people you see walking around, the ones you think are boring and aren't giving you permission to be yourself. It's not really fair to judge people without talking to them. There's probably a lot more diversity than you think: in terms of viewpoints, life experiences, dreams, goals, etc.

I used to joke that I wanted to double-date with you since we are both in similar interracial relationships and have kids around the same age, but now I wonder if I would find YOU to be too judgmental to be my friend. I live in Irvine, you probably wouldn't like that. (Plus I'm not a Christian, so you'd probably think I'm a big ball of evil anyway. And it is true. Wicked laugh.) But isn't that funny? With all the open-mindedness, tolerance, and compassion you preach, you've already pigeonholed me and 200,000 or so other people without even meeting us.

thank you all for the response; I'm afraid I might have bitten off more than I can chew... a lot of good points that I want to address... hopefully eventually, I hope you find my responses satastifactory...

there was an artile I read or heard... I'll try to search for it... it says, that in our children's lifetime and career; if they are consider anywhere remotely successful in their profession; they would have to, at some period in their lives, live outside the United States...

Leaning to deal with people different from us, WILL be a skill that our children will have to learn.  How you deal with the poor, the unfortunate will be model to them; if you feel unconfortable, uneasy and choose to just ignore the "problem" will speak volumes to their education...

I am not saying I'm going to raise my son in the ghettos; but he IS going to learn where he shouldn't go; and where he doesn't belong...

Like I say before, I'm committed to Irvine and the relationships here; I'm not going anywhere, and just ike Trace, I WILL be visiting and enjoying relationships and activities here, but I just can't settle here...  yes IHO, it is a matter of preference, but the heartbreaking truth for me is that, I know so many people who are chasing this facade with all the resources they have  that they will miss out on what is really important in life...

roundcorners said:
there was an artile I read or heard... I'll try to search for it... it says, that in our children's lifetime and career; if they are consider anywhere remotely successful in their profession; they would have to, at some period in their lives, live outside the United States...
Sorry... I don't subscribe to that.

I wonder if Bill Gates or Steve Jobs have lived off-country. Or are you talking success like Johnny Depp or George Clooney?

Alright people.. here is the article...
http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/10/26/pm-the-next-generations-job-market/

lucky for us, the article talks about baby Maxwell of Orange County (possibly Irvine) from the descriptions...!

here is a little quote...

"Job experts: Analytic and quantitative skills; social awareness, social IQ as I call it; creative problem-solving; the ability to be adaptable; language skills, foreign languages; and then of course, communications skills."

"In college, he majored in math and art. So he's got the creative and the problem-solving down pat. A high degree of empathy is called for too. Add that to Maxwell's 21st century skill set."

"Jonas Prising: The very rapid change means that it's going to be hard to be proficient at a skill that will take you through 40 years of workforce career. So your ability to be adaptable is going to be extremely important."

How are you going to teach your children how to be adaptable when all your choices for lunch is Panera Bread or Corner Bakery.  When all your choices for musical instruments are a violin or cello?  Afterschool program... swimming or soccer... but I guess there is a greater point...  I'm not just talking about a city being exciting or boring, dangerous or safe, but the different kinds of people with radical different perspectives, background and experiences...

I'm also not saying that other cities might not be as diverse; but at least they don't "advertise" it.  But yes, aside from the extreme examples you give; Compton, Beverly Hills, Bill Gates... there are other middle of the road cities such as the ones in the South Bay that are much more diverse than Irvine, I don't know about where you guys grew up; and yes I do realize that times have changed; but we were surrounded by people more and less fortunate than us; we walked among the homeless daily; we worked fast-food in High School, these were just normal life.  We all knew the poor family down the street, with the dumpy house next to a fancy house; but they were always part of the community. There was just a spirit that, people were acknowledge for being different, odd, extraordinary.

There are some things you don't NEED to experience in order to understand them.

People take self-defense classes in order to protect themselves, should their instructors make getting mugged by an actual criminal part of the course?

Trace? believe me, my intentions for posting this thread was not to toot my own horn of how generous and righteous I am... and I am no way saying anyone is evil? how dare you?  And, I?m THE LAST person to judge, I am committed to Irvine, to the people here, I love you guys?  I?m just a ?misfit?, so are you; and everyone in this city? the question is do you realize it, and have you embraced it...!

I have talked to, know and have relationships with a lot of Irvinians; the conformist nature of the city has allow people to be un-authentic with each other and themselves; I can deal with upfront mean people; but not with people who are either in denial or who are ?hiding? their problems.

Again... this gets into another subject for the future?
I treasure those rare glimpses of the real problems, people here have with their finances, careers, marital issues, and children; when they finally break down that stucco wall and share their vulnerabilities.  First I am honored that they feel safe to share that with me; and second, my wife and I are always amazed that these people have virtually NO-ONE else to turn to with these problems.  The question Pat is not that they want to be ?private? these people don?t have anyone else.

How much more easier is it to hide when your lawn is perfectly manicured and your sidewalks cleaned; when the conformity of the city is not to be different, cause any problems or not to stand out!

[youtube]4BUKfFTQSm0[/youtube]

I want to become friends with this guy. His Korean is so good and he makes me laugh everytime i see this video. My wife thinks i am completely nuts  :)

roundcorners said:
we are not given the permission interrupt each other?s busy schedules; How is that for Irvine diversity?

RC, I feel like I live in a different city than you and we are only 2 minutes down the road from each other and shop in the same center. I was at Woodbury Ralph's today and for the second time an old person approached me to make conversation. We stood there for an hour in the produce department while I learned about her life raising five kids - one of whom she adopted from a Mexican orphanage where the baby had been given little food, no toys, and minimal attention or hygienic care. We discussed everything she had been through, her long marriage which ended in her husband's death 20 years ago, and the senior life. I heard her life story while standing next to the bananas. It's as easy as that. She lives in the mobile home park on Irvine Blvd. and shops there frequently. The last old person I talked to also lives nearby there and I met her at the coffee counter. I think you'd find these elderly people sprinkled throughout our community and would enjoy meeting them because they are certainly not of the same mold that many other Irvine residents are from. They may not be as visible but they are there. They are very friendly and social - just like you.

P.S. I walked away swearing to God I would do whatever I could to adopt or help a bunch of orphans.  :'( It's a bad scene there. Real bad.

IrvinePilot said:
SoCal78 said:
roundcorners said:
we are not given the permission interrupt each other?s busy schedules; How is that for Irvine diversity?

RC, I feel like I live in a different city than you and we are only 2 minutes down the road from each other and shop in the same center. I was at Woodbury Ralph's today and for the second time an old person approached me to make conversation. We stood there for an hour in the produce department while I learned about her life raising five kids - one of whom she adopted from a Mexican orphanage where the baby had been given little food, no toys, and minimal attention or hygienic care. We discussed everything she had been through, her long marriage which ended in her husband's death 20 years ago, and the senior life. I heard her life story while standing next to the bananas. It's as easy as that. She lives in the mobile home park on Irvine Blvd. and shops there frequently. The last old person I talked to also lives nearby there and I met her at the coffee counter. I think you'd find these elderly people sprinkled throughout our community and would enjoy meeting them because they are certainly not of the same mold that many other Irvine residents are from. They may not be as visible but they are there. They are very friendly and social - just like you.

P.S. I walked away swearing to God I would do whatever I could to adopt or help a bunch of orphans.  :'( It's a bad scene there. Real bad.
That mobile home park on Irvine Blvd and Jeffrey is Irvine?s best kept secret.  It is very nice in there, many seniors live there and they have an incredible little tight knit community with a lot of amenities.  The price is very affordable for the amenities and it is literally across the street from Woodbury (the land is leased, however).  I know many seniors who have downsized there and are very happy.  I have recommended that neighborhood to retiring friends who have asked me for advice on a good place to downsize.  Actually, the residents there I know like the fact not many people know about their community. 
I also cannot relate to RC?s observations despite frequenting the same places he does.  This reminds me of when BK said he lived in Northpark for years and never made any friends or had any meaningful relationships there.  I have two very good friends in Northpark who are very, very sociable, so much so that one of them regularly brings food for their neighbors' kids when their neighbors work late and have no time to cook.  One wonders if BK?s lack of friends is Northpark?s problem or his own problem.

Yay, The Groves! It's my favorite gated community in Irvine. I like how the residents have so much pride...I can't tell you how many "The Groves" license plate frames I see (usually rolling by at about 23 mph). :)

Roundcorners - when you resurface, I think I might take you up on the idea of having another TI get-together if you still want one. We could all get together, sit around and have drinks to discuss how Irvine people can never be bothered to get together, sit around, and have drinks.  ;)

OMG, I have to tell you guys what happened today! I was at Home Depot in Woodbury and saw an older lady with a dog. My son was excited to see the dog, so we went over to her and she said he could pet her, yada yada yada. And then she told us that she's had dogs all her life, for 80+ years, and she has had all different types of dogs, and her dog sleeps on a king bed, and she told us about all the special food she makes for her dog...on and on and on. And then the best part: she told us she lives in The Groves! Apparently you are only allowed to have one small dog if you live there. Anyway, I was very excited to meet an actual The Groves resident...and she was so chatty and friendly, I just kept thinking: I WISH RC WERE HERE! I think we had at least a Level 3 conversation!

great responses everyone... as I mentioned in my last thread, we sort of stopped shopping in Woodbury, I only go there for one or two items I forgot to pick up... But that totally reinforces my last thread too about Median Age...  striking up a conversation with a stranger shouldn't be such an exciting extraordinary experience; but I'm glad you guys are thinking of me while out and about in the city...

Panda and I were just talking about the other night; about my tone of my threads; and I have nothing to prove really, I can very easily use a milder tone of discovery, draw less conclusions and open it up to a general discussion without inferring strong conclusion...

I'm all down for another get together,, I hear most of the club houses around town have lower their rental fees, we've been able to reserve for as little as $25/hour... I usually reserve 2 hours, and we almost always go over, they never back charge the additional hours...  I like a chance at face-to-face redemption...  After all, we like to be invited back to the city once we moved out of here...  :D

Back