Irvine demographic & impact on kids

Yes, Johns Creek's Asian demographics is changing much much faster that I had anticipated. Seriously too fast for my liking. I have personally witnessed my street change from 75% White to 85% Asian within 5 years. All the white families  moved north to Milton which is a city that feels similar to that of Coto de Caza. I really miss the white families who moved away as I was starting to become good friends with couple of them :(  sniff... sniff.

My street and adjacent has literally changed from white kids playing out, riding their bikes, making forts, playing tag, playing football (five years later) immigrant Asian neighbors who never come outside and  kids attending Kumon classes and private tutoring after school.... Please pinch me now and tell me that this is just a dream.

California's second largest minority (Hispanics) make up 35% of the state. Similarly Georiga's second largest minority population (African Americans) make up 35% of the state.

Irvinecommuter said:
Panda said:
If you can see the Asian demographic make up of Woodbury in 2008, it is pretty much identical to Johns Creek Elementary in 2014. We are a blue ribbon school and JCE is ranked number 9 in the state. I can tell you that i can predict with 99.9% accuracy what the Asian % make up in JCE will look like in 6 years by looking at the stats on Woodbury Elementary in 2014.

1)  I am pretty confused because Woodbury didn't open until 2007.

2)  I don't understand how you are not upset that John's Creek doesn't have 30.5% African Americans like the general demographics of Georgia

3)  You moved away from Irvine because it was getting too Asian but John's Creek is not too Asian?

Panda said:
Yes, Johns Creek's Asian demographics is changing much faster that I had anticipated. California's second largest minority (Hispanics) make up 35%. Similarly Georiga's second largest minority population (African Americans) make up 35% of the state.

Irvinecommuter said:
Panda said:
If you can see the Asian demographic make up of Woodbury in 2008, it is pretty much identical to Johns Creek Elementary in 2014. We are a blue ribbon school and JCE is ranked number 9 in the state. I can tell you that i can predict with 99.9% accuracy what the Asian % make up in JCE will look like in 6 years by looking at the stats on Woodbury Elementary in 2014.

2)  I don't understand how you are not upset that John's Creek doesn't have 30.5% African Americans like the general demographics of Georgia

3)  You moved away from Irvine because it was getting too Asian but John's Creek is not too Asian?

But John's Creek has a good diverse mix while Irvine does not?

BTW:

IUSD is about 45% Asian, 35% white, 10% Hispanic, 5% multiracial

http://api.cde.ca.gov/Acnt2013/2013GrowthDstApi.aspx?cYear=&allcds=3073650&cChoice=2013GDst2

Irvinecommuter said:

Because Mr. Kim does not have a rich dad/uncle (he is still bitter about it) who would support him to start his real estate investment business.

Irvinecommuter said:
Panda said:

4)  I am pretty sure you have the wrong Woodbury because there were only 600+ students at Woodbury with 288 Asians
http://api.cde.ca.gov/Acnt2014/apiavgSch.aspx?allcds=30736506085344

No.. I am pretty sure I have the correct Woodbury Elementary in Irvine. Rank #277 in California

Source:http://www.schooldigger.com/go/CA/schools/8450007056/school.aspx

Panda said:
My street and adjacent has literally changed from white kids playing out, riding their bikes, making forts, playing tag, playing football (five years later) immigrant Asian neighbors who never come outside and  kids attending Kumon classes and private tutoring after school.... Please pinch me now and tell me that this is just a dream.

I think you are stereotyping a lot.  I have a lot of Asians (both East, South, and SE) in my neighborhood and kids play outside a lot.

Irvinecommuter..
I really don't care if you don't believe me.. because I didn't believe BKshopr aka Irvinehomeshopper 8 years ago either. He got a lot of heat and criticism from the Irvine lovers back then including myself. The things he talked about back in the old IHB site 8 years is actually unfolding right in front of my eyes in Johns Creek today.

Irvinecommuter said:
Panda said:

I think you are stereotyping a lot.  I have a lot of Asians (both East, South, and SE) in my neighborhood and kids play outside a lot.

Am I missing some posts... how is the Johns Creek demographics pertinent to this conversation? 

Also, I don't understand - if people are unhappy with the demographics of the schools, then move to a place where you are happier with the demographics.  There's nothing you can say/do that will change the fact that Woodbury Elem is 50% asian with potential to increase to higher percentages in the future.

bones said:
Am I missing some posts... how is the Johns Creek demographics pertinent to this conversation? 

Also, I don't understand - if people are unhappy with the demographics of the schools, then move to a place where you are happier with the demographics.  There's nothing you can say/do that will change the fact that Woodbury Elem is 50% asian with potential to increase to higher percentages in the future.

It's not pertinent...I was just confused as to why Panda decided to bring in the issue about one of the reasons he moved away was because there are too many Asians in Irvine.    I am also somewhat surprised as the "optimal level" of Asians remark.

We still haven't talked about the ridiculous the original premise is that somehow how having "too many Asians" is an issue while having a large percentage of Whites is fine. 

Panda said:
Irvinecommuter..
I really don't care if you don't believe me.. because I didn't believe BKshopr aka Irvinehomeshopper 8 years ago either. He got a lot of heat and criticism from the Irvine lovers back then including myself. The things he talked about back in the old IHB site 8 years is actually unfolding right in front of my eyes in Johns Creek today.

Irvinecommuter said:
Panda said:

You don't have to justify yourself.  The extent you think somehow having white neighbor is better than Asian neighbors is certainly your prerogative.  Just don't make it sound like you are in search of diversity.

Its amazing; this is by far the most active thread on talkirvine over the past couple of days. I think it illustrates the angst affecting many who are considering buying or staying in Irvine.
I have to agree with bones; if you don't like it, vote with your feet. Expand your horizons. Ha ha, asian flight from irvine to avoid other asians--the "bad" kind ;P

nyc to oc said:
Its amazing; this is by far the most active thread on talkirvine over the past couple of days. I think it illustrates the angst affecting many who are considering buying or staying in Irvine.
I have to agree with bones; if you don't like it, vote with your feet. Expand your horizons. Ha ha, asian flight from irvine to avoid other asians--the "bad" kind ;P

It's basically white flight all over again....we are just move across the color scale.

"We still haven't talked about the ridiculous the original premise is that somehow how having "too many Asians" is an issue while having a large percentage of Whites is fine. "!!!    This ridiculous original premise is what prompted all top colleges in the States to limit the number of Asian freshman into their colleges. Get a clue, go educate yourself on diversity and remember you live in America, not in China. Even in China, they are striving for diversity.

Hey Happiness... How come RoundCorners made the list of Good Asians... and Panda didn't make the list?

Good Asian: Amy Tan, Hop Sing from Bonanza, Dali Lama, Roundcorners
Bad Asian: Mainland China nouveau riche, Veteran Cemetery protesters
Bad Ass Asian:  Bruce Lee, Magicj1zz

Happiness said:
WTTCHMN said:
Happiness said:
LOL.  These self-haters who talk about the presence of Asians other than themselves as "unhealthy" and have a "herd mentality of academic success" reminds me of Chris Rock's observation that black people hate black people too.  Let me remind you that whites and others make no distinction between health and unhealthy Asians.  You are all the same.

Well, not really.  There are "unhealthy" Asians, and then there are Uncle Tom Asians.  White people love the model minority Uncle Tom's, as long as they stay that way (a minority).  ;)

Good Asian: Amy Tan, Hop Sing from Bonanza, Dali Lama, Roundcorners
Bad Asian: Mainland China nouveau riche, Veteran Cemetery protesters
Bad Ass Asian:  Bruce Lee, Magicj1zz

IrvineRes88 said:
"We still haven't talked about the ridiculous the original premise is that somehow how having "too many Asians" is an issue while having a large percentage of Whites is fine. "!!!    This ridiculous original premise is what prompted all top colleges in the States to limit the number of Asian freshman into their colleges. Get a clue, go educate yourself on diversity and remember you live in America, not in China. Even in China, they are striving for diversity.

Because Asians are not Americans?

so let's be honest here, is it mainly about perceived over-competitive nature of the schools when there are too many asian students? In other words, if you were asian, and you didn't have school age kids, would you still be bothered by the high asian population in irvine? 

This thread is getting ridiculous.

The overarching topic shouldn't be about the racial diversity in the school, but the socio-economic makeup in the school.  I'm pretty sure the graduates of any of the 5 IUSD high schools are getting into better universities (thus making higher income) than your average high school with a white majority. 

Educated parents ---> higher income bracket ----> more emphasis on education for their kids

paydawg said:
This thread is getting ridiculous.

The overarching topic shouldn't be about the racial diversity in the school, but the socio-economic makeup in the school.  I'm pretty sure the graduates of any of the 5 IUSD high schools are getting into better universities (thus making higher income) than your average high school with a white majority. 

Educated parents ---> higher income bracket ----> more emphasis on education for their kids

I also don't understand why it's an issue now...Uni High has had 50% Asians for a long time. 
http://api.cde.ca.gov/Acnt2014/apiavgSch.aspx?allcds=30736503035102
http://api.cde.ca.gov/AcntRpt2008/2007BaseSch.aspx?allcds=30736503035102

So has Northwood High:
http://api.cde.ca.gov/Acnt2014/apiavgSch.aspx?allcds=30736503030657
http://api.cde.ca.gov/AcntRpt2008/2007BaseSch.aspx?allcds=30736503030657

Back