IRVINE COMMUNITY LAND TRUST buys resale property for affordable housing?

flipper

The Irvine Community Land Trust (ICLThttp://www.irvineclt.org/) is an organization, established in 2006 by the City of Irvine, dedicated to providing affordable housing opportunities for the community and region.  The ICLT develops and preserves both rental and ownership units.

It paid all cash to buy the following propertyhttp://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/108-Cartier-Aisle-92620/home/5547367
Do you think ICLT will rent such units out at below market rate to low income families?

Why has Irvine become the CITY for low income housing????  Over 35,000 units must be built as low income housing.  That translates into over 100,000 poor people lowering the quality of life.  The free market economy should dictate where people live; not gov't. 

ak47 said:
Over 35,000 units must be built as low income housing.  That translates into over 100,000 poor people lowering the quality of life. 

ak47 said:
Within a few years Irvine will have over 35,000 low income units resulting in about 70,000 low income people which is about 1/3 of the population in Irvine.

H'm, it looks like math depends on the thread?

ak47 said:
Why has Irvine become the CITY for low income housing????  Over 35,000 units must be built as low income housing.  That translates into over 100,000 poor people lowering the quality of life.  The free market economy should dictate where people live; not gov't. 

The quality of life in Irvine was lowered when the Irvine Company transformed the agricultural fields into tiny crammed together crackerjack boxes making traffic a nightmare.

locolocal said:
ak47 said:

The quality of life in Irvine was lowered when the Irvine Company transformed the agricultural fields into tiny crammed together crackerjack boxes making traffic a nightmare.

oh you mean in in 1980....seriously irvine company has building and transforming irvine constantly.  i agree the development took a steep curve up in the last decade but irvine is still boonies and a suburb.  spend a weekend in santa monica driving down lincoln and then come back and complain about traffic.  its a joke to say there is traffic in irvine. 

and south county is no better.  it takes me forever to drive up crown valley on a weekday...far more time per mile than jamboree

locolocal said:

Yeah and you've got to laugh at water conservation efforts. Drought? What drought?? Let's keep building more and more residences to sustain. What a joke.

rkp said:
and south county is no better.  it takes me forever to drive up crown valley on a weekday...far more time per mile than jamboree

What part of Crown Valley?  Mission Viejo side by the hospital, and mall(s) I would agree it sucks, going toward the Laguna(s) I would disagree. 

I agree that West L.A. is horrible and Irvine is on its way to becoming another Los Angeles congestion wise but without the cultural benefits of a big city.  Give it another five years.  You're not going to be able to leave your house if you don't want to sit in your car for a half hour to drive a half mile.

rkp said:
locolocal said:
ak47 said:

oh you mean in in 1980....seriously irvine company has building and transforming irvine constantly.  i agree the development took a steep curve up in the last decade but irvine is still boonies and a suburb.  spend a weekend in santa monica driving down lincoln and then come back and complain about traffic.  its a joke to say there is traffic in irvine. 

davenlei said:
rkp said:

What part of Crown Valley?  Mission Viejo side by the hospital, and mall(s) I would agree it sucks, going toward the Laguna(s) I would disagree.

driving to visit friends in ladera.  exit 5 and make a left and then spend 15-30 minutes to get to ladera.  not kidding here..it really has taken almost 30 minutes before!

SoCal78 said:
Yeah and you've got to laugh at water conservation efforts. Drought? What drought?? Let's keep building more and more residences to sustain. What a joke.
Because TIC has access to all the tears shed by the homeowners when they look at their Mello Roos bills.

This thread is NOT about traffic congestion.  It's about the outrageous amount of low income housing that is being built in Irvine.  For those of you thinking about buying a home in Irvine or people who already own homes in Irvine, this is going to be a huge negative issue for home prices, schools and crime.  For me as a existing homeowner, I am getting out of here as soon as my kids graduate from high school!!  I know what 35,000 low income housing units will do to a City.  FYI.. Cypress Village will have over 3,000 low income housing units....can you say GHETTO/SLUM??

rkp said:
davenlei said:
rkp said:

driving to visit friends in ladera.  exit 5 and make a left and then spend 15-30 minutes to get to ladera.  not kidding here..it really has taken almost 30 minutes before!
Drive up a little further and take Oso Parkway.

rkp said:
davenlei said:
rkp said:

Yep, that is the 'through Mission Viejo' route.  It is horrid.  The other way (making a right from the 5) to the Laguna cities is not like that at all. 
Do what USC says, the OSO route is much better.  If you really like the Crown route, take OSO to Marguerite to Crown.  That will get you past all the hospital/mall traffic.

ak47 said:
This thread is NOT about traffic congestion.  It's about the outrageous amount of low income housing that is being built in Irvine.  For those of you thinking about buying a home in Irvine or people who already own homes in Irvine, this is going to be a huge negative issue for home prices, schools and crime.  For me as a existing homeowner, I am getting out of here as soon as my kids graduate from high school!!  I know what 35,000 low income housing units will do to a City.  FYI.. Cypress Village will have over 3,000 low income housing units....can you say GHETTO/SLUM??

I think the City of Irvine filed a petition to be exempt from that requirement and lost the appeal.  Not sure if the city has any other recourse or if they are at the end point and now have to drink their medicine.  I wonder if they will spread out the low income housing around Irvine or if they will concentrate it all in the farthest corner of the Irvine city limit and wall it off.
Irvine Annexed one of the largest parcels of undeveloped land left in the OC (El Toro) so I think the low income housing (along with the population growth) is is part of the baggage that comes along with it.

ak47 said:

Low Income doesn't necessarily mean ghetto and welfare moms.  You can be a a single mother with three kids making up to $77,000 and still qualify for subsidized housing.  Or be married with two kids and one parent stays home.

Anyway you should probably sell your house and move before it's too late.  If you wait until your kids are finished with high school, property values will more than likely be comparable to those in Santa Ana.  Besides you don't want to risk having your kids attend the same school as the low income students.  http://www.cityofirvine.org/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=12855

and lets not forget something obvious.  apartments are everywhere and private units for rent are everywhere and those *can* be much lower income than the official affordable housing.  if you think low income people are the bogeyman, good luck finding a place where every house is owner occupied with apartment buildings nearby

Back