Irvine Anecdotes

[quote author="IACRenter"]
[quote author="roundcorners"]Dog Poop

I'm not sure if this is a trend in your neighborhood; but this was certainly true living at Watermarke which is next to The Plaza 3000 and here in Woodbury. Walking around everyday; I tend to see the usual familiar dogs and their owners. Some renters only walk their dogs within the apartment complex; some renters mix it up a little and walk into the residential neighborhoods, which is understandable. However there are some home owners who purposely cross the street into the apartment complex simply to relieve their dogs. This was also true at Watermarke; some Plaza people would use our dog run, dogie bags and water. As a renter I can't help but to feel a little pissed-off; sometimes I try to give those owners a dirty look.[/quote]

I'm sure the WB owners feel the same about you. They pay high HOA for their Commons area and still have a lot of renters in the area from IAC with key fob access.

I am also curious if any owners with a WB key fob ever tried to access WB IAC facilities? I don't even know if it would work.[/quote]

Pissed-off might have been a little strong, I just wanted to work the word in there, for the pun and word-play. I really could care less, I don't even have a dog. As far as I know, the owner's fob keys don't work at any IAC. This leads me to another anecdote...

Park Crashers

We were celebrating our son's baptism/dedication after church early September at Pepper Tree Park in Woodbury. Pepper Tree is a quaint private gated park with pool/spa and picnic/bbq facilities nestled in the large McMansions north of Townsend and Vintage. Our group of more than 25 people invaded the nearly empty park. Upon setting up, mingling, cooking and eating; I noticed a dad swimming with his son quietly in the pool. Moments later, I though it was strange that he was using his cell phone wading in the pool while glaring periodically over at our group. Surely enough, two security officers pulled up immediately to check fob keys. Apparently there is a rule that for every ten guests there needs to be one Woodbury residence. I nearly froze as I thought about having to end the get-together early and send out-of-town guests home before we've had a chance connect. Luckily we had three residences that attended, the security guards made some reluctant sarcastic comment and left.

Asian Cuisine ≠ Holiday Food

Be careful eating out during the holidays. My wife tends to get food poisoning during this time of year; between Christmas and the New Year. She got very sick Christmas-eve 07 from Korean barbecue from Tofu House on Jeffrey. I wrote about it before, I spent nearly an hour driving around Irvine around 2:30am, in the morning trying to find ginger-ale, 7-up, Drano, and pepto bismol. Luckily the 7-11 on Culver had everything. She also came down with a slight upset stomach from Seafood Noodle House in Heritage Plaza Christmas day last year. We also stopped the tradition of eating Dim Sum, New Years day mainly because of the wait but because just seemed greasier, colder and a little stale. Asian cuisine already have a bad reputation of not being "cleanly"; combine reluctant workers who have to work hard during holiday hours with "low pay" with the fact that they are the only ones open and you have a recipe for tummy trouble.

Merry Christmas to you and our family... ^_^

Empty Crib

Our neighbors down the hallway were putting their then, three month old daughter down for a nap one afternoon and wanted to use their new video monitor. Unlike the older CRT video monitor that we have, theirs is the newer one where it's a hand-held wireless LCD screen. The mom laid the baby down and stepped quietly out to the kitchen; the monitor worked great, she could see a sharp image of her daughter sleeping away. She made a salad and walked over to the dining room for a quiet lunch. As soon as she got settled down to eat, she noticed that the crib was suddenly empty. Fearing the worst, she rushed into the bedroom to check what might have happened. She opened the door and thank goodness, her daughter was still where she had left her. Somewhat confused, she went back out to the kitchen while looking at the monitor; the mystery was solved as she walked to the living room and the image suddenly changes to an empty crib. Apparently she was picking up someone else's monitor signal in the dense Irvine apartment complex.

Re: Empty Crib

That's a good one. I recall stories of the audio-only monitors picking up neighbors signals (even in SFRs since Irvine has them so close together)... but picking up someone else's video is probably much more irritating.

White Christmas

I almost forgot to write this. That is right! Irvine had a white Christmas. We went down to the tot-lot early Christmas morning; around 7:30. I didn't know why I thought of this (how silly of me); but I had vision that kids would be running around the sidewalks with their new toy bikes, skateboards and scooters. I would see families through their picture windows; gathering around their living rooms around the fireplace and Christmas tree. But sadly the morning was even quieter and desolate than ever. Some mornings it feels like the kid and I are strolling through a post-apocalyptic movie. Anyhow, I couldn't believe it; the rubber surface of the tot-lot had a thin layer of frost. At first, I thought they might have been doing some work, cleaning, some soap or something, but sure enough, there it was; a slippery layer of ice and frost.

Where's the bathroom?

We only went to one Christmas party this year in Irvine. Usually we go to at least three or four; I guess people are really cutting back this year. Either that or we were just not invited this year; which is awkward, because how do you ask the usual host, did you have a party this year? We went to an older house on Brena in Northwood. It was a lovely evening; we had about thirty people. We had prime rib, red wine and lots of dessert. The older Woodside Plan F was great for a holiday gathering; just enough separation for the kids and adults to mingle and chat. Unlike the newer great rooms, everyone had an intimate space for about two or three people to have a deeper meaningful conversation without distractions. The only draw back was when it came time for the white elephant gift exchange; it was fairly difficult to gather everyone all together in the living room; some had to sit on the wide stairs. One great thing about having IR2's site is that I can study the floor-plans before the get together. Where is the bathroom, the wife asks? Oh, just down the hallway!

^^^ I can honestly say that that use of the floor plans never occurred to me, but it's a very good use! <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

Rumble in the Chick-Fil-A Jungle

I was hopped up on my third cup of Diet Coke at Chick-fil-A in Woodbury when the wife just finished feeding the kid. Not to mentioned that I already had a 64 oz cup that I've been drinking all day. Needless to say, I was feeling pretty good, so good that I took the kid and zipped down to the indoor play-pen as the wife eats. The kid is 10 months old, and has no intention or means of going up the play structure. I figure he needed a little encouragement, so; holding him we started to climb the structure and see where it leaded. Now, for you information; I'm 6 feet tall, about 185 pounds. And we managed somehow to climb the structure all the way to the top. It was right at this point, some sanity finally came back through the caffeine induced haze; and the realization occurs that I am cluster-phobic. Panic sets-in; the baby starts giving me this terrified look; like daddy is crazy; and thoughts of the entire structure breaking and falling start to materialize as it moves and shifts with every motion. I would be on the OC-Register; with the headline: Paramedics frees man trapped with son stuck inside indoor-play pen! We managed somehow to craw through what I can imagine a ventilation duct and saw the slide down. I put the kid on my legs and just managed to walk on my butt; by now my back and legs have tightened with cramps. We slide, all the while giving myself a plastic (rug) burn the size of a quarter on my ankle.

which part? In sales, there is this saying... it's the heart-warming details that sell the story... I guess this is what I do in front of my customers... I tell stories and short anecdotes all day long... I'm always looking for feedback on timing, detail and delivery...!

Hey invite me to your holiday party and I'm sure I got an anecdote for each one of our guests... ^_^

The Panera Man

We eat at the Panera Bread at the Woodbury Towncenter at least once a week. It's a fast and easy way to feed the baby while getting some air, stimulation and food. There are the regulars; most of them with their laptops; the business men, the programmers, students; there are also some other families and expected couples chatting over coffee. And then there is the guy I call the Panera Man. Every neighborhood has one and you'll most like find them in every coffee shop. They are the ghostly fixtures that are virtually invisible to everyone; but there he sits day after day, week after week. Every time we're at the Towncenter I see the Panera Man. There he sips his coffee, by himself; one Saturday for more than two hours! He just drinks his coffee and doesn't do anything else but observe the people around him. He doesn't read the paper, book or magazine; he just sits there and watches the world go by. I've been there at different hours the day, different days, and there he is! As far as I know, I'm the only one that ever makes eye contact with the Panera Man. I haven't asked the wife if she notices him; but I'm guessing she doesn't. How terrible is it to go through life and nobody ever notices you. The Panera Man absolutely fascinates me; does he work? Does he: have a family, speak English, live in Woodbury?? I must befriend the Panera Man; I must tell him that I see him. More detail WILL follow, stay tuned!

[quote author="roundcorners"]The Panera Man

We eat at the Panera Bread at the Woodbury Towncenter at least once a week. It's a fast and easy way to feed the baby while getting some air, stimulation and food. There are the regulars; most of them with their laptops; the business men, the programmers, students; there are also some other families and expected couples chatting over coffee. And then there is the guy I call the Panera Man. Every neighborhood has one and you'll most like find them in every coffee shop. They are the ghostly fixtures that are virtually invisible to everyone; but there he sits day after day, week after week. Every time we're at the Towncenter I see the Panera Man. There he sips his coffee, by himself; one Saturday for more than two hours! He just drinks his coffee and doesn't do anything else but observe the people around him. He doesn't read the paper, book or magazine; he just sits there and watches the world go by. I've been there at different hours the day, different days, and there he is! As far as I know, I'm the only one that ever makes eye contact with the Panera Man. I haven't asked the wife if she notices him; but I'm guessing she doesn't. How terrible is it to go through life and nobody ever notices you. The Panera Man absolutely fascinates me; does he work? Does he: have a family, speak English, live in Woodbury?? I must befriend the Panera Man; I must tell him that I see him. More detail WILL follow, stay tuned![/quote]

Good for you, some People are very lonely and He's probably hoping for someone to say hi to Him...

You never know who you might bump into..Here's an example..

I was riding along the Boardwalk a couple of years ago one Day in December, I decided to stop for a break and look out over the Ocean, there was a Guy there with Long Straggly Hair, probably 3 months of Beard and he was kneeling next to an old Touring Bike loaded with Panniers with the Front wheel between his legs fixing a flat Tire. He looked Homeless.

Me "Hey Buddy, how you doin'? need a hand"?

Him "No, it's ok thanks, just fixing a flat"

Me "Where you ridin' from"?

Him "Maine"

Me " Maine!!!?? Wow!! that's incredible, hey, here's 20 Bucks, go and get yourself something to eat when you got your Bike fixed"

Him "No, it's OK but thank you, I've got plenty of money"

Me "Oh, OK then, as long as you're OK"

Him "Yeah, I'm a Crab Fisherman, I work a few months a year, make 50 Grand then spend the rest of the time touring around the US, I've made Friends in every City at Bike shops, stop by for a week and help them out, they give me a few Bucks"

I sat there talking to Him for two Hours, He was an amazing Guy, He said the Cops were always harassing Him because of the way He looks...but he had some fascinating annecdotes.

The sun started to set so I had to go, I asked Him where He was headed, he said He was staying with some Friends for Christmas then he was off to FLORIDA!!

I said "Blimey!! That's a long way"!!

He said "Yeah, that's why I'm taking the Train"
<!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D --> <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->

I love both your stories! <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

RC, I would totally encourage you to initiate a conversation with Panera Man. He may be open to it, he may not, but it would be nice of you to find out. He might be new to town, his spouse may have recently passed away, he might be recently retired and no longer has a social group. Isolation is rampant in our society. Even if you are rebuffed, you should be commended for trying.

Middle Age Decade

Happy New Year! We made it? I appreciate the single folks in our building. They give me a glimpse of how my life was like before the wife and kid. We would pass each other in the parking lot, hallways and stair-case on a few Fridays; and holidays where most people are expected to go out before the evening. So there we are; around 5pm, we are usually in raggedly sweat pants, long sleeve t-shirts hands/arms always completely full with lunch pale boxes, car seat, diaper bags and the baby in tow; whereas the singles are sharply dressed, smelling great, clean shaven and usually carrying a small paper tot gift bag. We can only imagine where the single are going and what the night has in store for them. Probably out to some fancy restaurant, party, LA night club or some massive get together. I joke with the wife sometimes as we get ready for bed, so which night club do you want to hit tonight? We both laugh all the way to sweet sleep.

Full Circle

10 years ago, we celebrated the 2000 New Year with just one of my wife's close friends at our house we just bought a few months previous, both of us were married couples with no kids.

This year, we moved back into that same house but now we have two kids (as does my wife's friend) and this New Year, my wife' sister babysat our kids (10 years ago she was just a little kid herself) while we went out to eat and watch a movie.

It's weird being back in this same house... 10 years ago, we were worried if we made the right decision buying this house and now we remark at how stress-free our current mortgage is compared to what it would be if we stayed in the home we sold.

10 years ago, I was in my home office at midnight making code changes to some websites because the Perl scripts weren't doing the Y2K thing correctly... this year at midnight, I didn't even touch a computer.

I wonder where we will be in 2020.

[quote author="roundcorners"]White Christmas

I almost forgot to write this. That is right! Irvine had a white Christmas. We went down to the tot-lot early Christmas morning; around 7:30. I didn't know why I thought of this (how silly of me); but I had vision that kids would be running around the sidewalks with their new toy bikes, skateboards and scooters. I would see families through their picture windows; gathering around their living rooms around the fireplace and Christmas tree. But sadly the morning was even quieter and desolate than ever. Some mornings it feels like the kid and I are strolling through a post-apocalyptic movie. Anyhow, I couldn't believe it; the rubber surface of the tot-lot had a thin layer of frost. At first, I thought they might have been doing some work, cleaning, some soap or something, but sure enough, there it was; a slippery layer of ice and frost.[/quote]

I remember riding the Backbay one Sunday morning and everything was white with Frost, it was beautiful but freezing We had to stop several times to warm our Hands up a bit because they were so cold we couldn't change gear or brake.

I've only seen that once in the probably couple of Thousand times over the last 7 years I've ridden through or around that area...

[quote author="evalseraphim"]I love both your stories! <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

RC, I would totally encourage you to initiate a conversation with Panera Man. He may be open to it, he may not, but it would be nice of you to find out. He might be new to town, his spouse may have recently passed away, he might be recently retired and no longer has a social group. Isolation is rampant in our society. Even if you are rebuffed, you should be commended for trying. [/quote]

Thanks eva! I'm waiting for an update from RC!! ;D

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]Full Circle

10 years ago, we celebrated the 2000 New Year with just one of my wife's close friends at our house we just bought a few months previous, both of us were married couples with no kids.

This year, we moved back into that same house but now we have two kids (as does my wife's friend) and this New Year, my wife' sister babysat our kids (10 years ago she was just a little kid herself) while we went out to eat and watch a movie.

It's weird being back in this same house... 10 years ago, we were worried if we made the right decision buying this house and now we remark at how stress-free our current mortgage is compared to what it would be if we stayed in the home we sold.

10 years ago, I was in my home office at midnight making code changes to some websites because the Perl scripts weren't doing the Y2K thing correctly... this year at midnight, I didn't even touch a computer.

I wonder where we will be in 2020.[/quote]

IHO, i really enjoyed your "Full Circle" piece. OK, here i go.

2000/2010/2020 - "THREE is such a beautiful number!".

2000:
10 years ago, I was driving a leased 3 series BMW and sharing a two bedroom apartment in West LA for $1200 a month. I thought to myself that LA has to be the best place to be at when you are in your early 20s and single. This is also the year i borrowed $20,000 from my poor mom and lost most of it by investing in Cisco stocks. It took me 5 years to pay back my mom in full. In my early 20s, it wasn't clear to me what my dreams and aspirations were, but there was absolutely no doubt as to where I wanted to live while I chased them: Irvine, California. In 2000 I had my first SAP consulting gig in Irvine and told myself, "Someday, when i can afford to live wherever I want, I 'm going to live here.

2010: I am now married, 33 years old and expecting two little baby boys in April of this year. I am still living in the burbs of Chicago dreaming the "Irvine Dream". It was so freakin cold yesterday (8 degrees) and if you were to take a leak outside, you can literally see your pee freeze before your eyes. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) --> I am now three years into working on my own business full-time, and things are now starting to come together like a little baby growing on its own.

2020:
I am hoping that i will be living in a 3500 square feet 3 Car Garage in Laguna Crossing, three kids, and three thriving small businesses, all with Irvine addresses, and three wonderful and social neighbors like Deuce, CK, and IHO. Who knows? , I may even run for mayor and try to become the next Sukhee Kang. We shall see.

Panda

[quote author="Panda "]
[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]Full Circle

I wonder where we will be in 2020.[/quote]

IHO, i really enjoyed your "Full Circle" piece. OK, here i go.

2000/2010/2020 - "THREE is such a beautiful number!".

2000:
10 years ago, I was driving a leased 3 series BMW and sharing a two bedroom apartment in West LA for $1200 a month. I thought to myself that LA has to be the best place to be at when you are in your early 20s and single. This is also the year i borrowed $20,000 from my poor mom and lost most of it by investing in Cisco stocks. It took me 5 years to pay back my mom in full. In my early 20s, it wasn't clear to me what my dreams and aspirations were, but there was absolutely no doubt as to where I wanted to live while I chased them: Irvine, California. In 2000 I had my first SAP consulting gig in Irvine and told myself, "Someday, when i can afford to live wherever I want, I 'm going to live here.

2010: I am now married, 33 years old and expecting two little baby boys in April of this year. I am still living in the burbs of Chicago dreaming the "Irvine Dream". It was so freakin cold yesterday (8 degrees) and if you were to take a leak outside, you can literally see your pee freeze before your eyes. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) --> I am now three years into working on my own business full-time, and things are now starting to come together like a little baby growing on its own.

2020:
I am hoping that i will be living in a 3500 square feet 3 Car Garage in Laguna Crossing, three kids, and three thriving small businesses, all with Irvine addresses, and three wonderful and social neighbors like Deuce, CK, and IHO. Who knows? , I may even run for mayor and try to become the next Sukhee Kang. We shall see.

Panda [/quote]
Just remember, if you are gonna let TIC bride you...they better some strong. haha <!-- s:p -->:p<!-- s:p -->

Back