Irvine Anecdotes

The Panera Man ? Part II

I did it; I went up to the Panera Man and introduced myself. He was quite friendly and as usual was sitting by himself. He turns out to be an Iranian immigrant who came here a year ago. He is staying with his sister and her family in Woodbury Walk. He is out of a job and has no specific experience or qualification. So I imagine finding a job would be quite difficult. He as resorted to spending his days at Panera. Some interesting opinions that he has: He is actually pro the current Ahmadinejad government; he actually voted for him. He a devout practicing Muslim; he thinks TIC wastes too much electricity by turning on the lights at the Towncenter and their apartment complex on too early and leaving it on ALL night (humm interesting); Irvine was not what he expected, it's too quiet, clean and only great if you have a good paying job and money. Otherwise he would prefer to live somewhere else where he can strike up a conversation at any coffee shop with anyone. I was the first person within the year to come up to him. He survives from money his mother in Iran wires to him and is somewhat involved with the Iranian community in Irvine through his Mosque. He did most of the talking and makes little eye contact. The only thing he knows about me is that I'm a dad to the family and that I'm a Christian. I will certainly think of more questions to ask him in the future. He is still very fascinating!

[quote author="Panda "]
2020:
I am hoping that i will be living in a 3500 square feet 3 Car Garage in Laguna Crossing, three kids...[/quote]
I'll settle for a 2500 sfter with a 3-car garage in LC. Although based on the current crop of homes in WB... it may seem like the 3-car garage is extinct. I'll take a 2.5!

[quote author="roundcorners"]The Panera Man ? Part II

I did it; I went up to the Panera Man and introduced myself. He was quite friendly and as usual was sitting by himself. He turns out to be an Iranian immigrant who came here a year ago. He is staying with his sister and her family in Woodbury Walk. He is out of a job and has no specific experience or qualification. So I imagine finding a job would be quite difficult. He as resorted to spending his days at Panera. Some interesting opinions that he has: He is actually pro the current Ahmadinejad government; he actually voted for him. He a devout practicing Muslim; he thinks TIC wastes too much electricity by turning on the lights at the Towncenter and their apartment complex on too early and leaving it on ALL night (humm interesting); Irvine was not what he expected, it's too quiet, clean and only great if you have a good paying job and money. Otherwise he would prefer to live somewhere else where he can strike up a conversation at any coffee shop with anyone. I was the first person within the year to come up to him. He survives from money his mother in Iran wires to him and is somewhat involved with the Iranian community in Irvine through his Mosque. He did most of the talking and makes little eye contact. The only thing he knows about me is that I'm a dad to the family and that I'm a Christian. I will certainly think of more questions to ask him in the future. He is still very fascinating![/quote]

I am so glad you talked to him. After your description, it sounded like he was a person without too many friends. Even if you don't see eye to eye on everything, I'm sure he will be interesting person to talk to.

Asian Moms

I was at the Commons swinging the kid early yesterday morning. There were also workers resurfacing what looks to me a perfectly fine parking lot adjacent to the park. At first I didn't think much of it; it was a bit loud but I could smell the chemicals coming off the tar/asphalt truck. The smell did eventually bother me, but it wasn't overpowering; something in the back of my mind was a little concerned. Just then, an elder Asian lady, walking and working out with small weights came into the park and up to us. Sounding just like my mom, in the same mannerism, tone and body language started to scald me. The smell, she said in broken English, it's not good for baby! Instinctively, I concur; this was about the time that if I didn't comply, my mom would start shoving and spanking me in the butt. And I didn't want the stranger Asian lady to have to resort to that. I took the baby and we left.

Recession - Schmession & My Experience in "Little Korea"

Today, I headed out for a day of pampering, daring to go without appointments along the way. I was feeling confidant that enough cash-strapped consumers would be at home to allow me to steal adequate chair-time at my favorite salons.

I first stopped to get my hair done at Heritage Plaza shopping center at Culver & Walnut. "My gal" couldn't keep up with the influx of customers. I've been going to her for about a year and a half and I've never seen it this busy aside from holiday-time or the day of a big event such as highschool prom, Mother's day, etc. I had to wait quite a while to be seen. While waiting, I noticed something. I read somewhere once that blond women are a sign of good economic times. (For you men-folk reading this...) the reason behind it is that the process of going... and staying... blond doesn't run cheap. I didn't see any shortage of blond women in the salon. Uh-hem, or in the mirror.

After my time there, I went to get a facial. I had contemplated Bellagio Spa & Salon in Orchard Hills but I believe they require an appointment. I'd heard about the opening of Massage Envy at the Northpark Plaza shopping center at Culver & Irvine Blvd. I had called them earlier that morning and the receptionist told me walk-ins are fine and my best bet was to come when they had all hands on deck between 3-4 p.m. I got there right at 3:30 and walked in. No dice... they were booked until the next day. They recommended I call early in the morning to schedule if I wanted to get in.

I decided to stop by another place I saw on the way. It was a very small, obscure, out-of-the-way salon that does facials. I knew they would take me! Afterall, what kind of demand can there be for such unnecessary things. I was disappointed to see the waiting room full and the therapist booked.

Feeling defeated, I had no idea what else to do so I decided to drive home, hoping I would think of something along the way. I headed down Irvine Blvd. and got to Yale. I saw a sign on the corner of Northwood Town Center / Zion Market plaza reading "Scott Gunther - Open House". ;D It got my attention so I looked up and I suddenly saw another salon behind it in the shopping center. I went in to the Korean salon to see if they could take me. Nope! Getting desperate, I asked if she had any friends who could. Yup, sure did! The nice lady made a few frantic phone calls for me, giving orders in Korean. She then tells me she has dialed her friend around the corner, in the same center, who could take me if I go immediately. Finally... four locations later, I had a hit.

I followed the directions and found my way to Kim Sung Young Store. This therapist did a great job. (I'll spare you the details.) An hour and 40 minutes later we were done. She came into the room while I was getting dressed and prompted me for payment. I asked her if they take Amex. Insert awkward pause here. She said, "No, you must pay here in the room." I ask, "Ok, but where is your credit card machine?" Silence. "You do take credit cards, right?" ... "No. Cash or check only." Me: "But... I don't have a checkbook with me..." <!-- s:eek: -->:eek:<!-- s:eek: --> My mind races to BK's posts about under-the-table payment and unreported wages from the Asian establishments. I always think about IHB / T.I. at such inopportune times. There was no sign in the window... not that I'd expect any. Therapist jokes that I must be used to American establishments. Heh, yeah, that. Disheveled, I had to call Mr. SC to drive down and bail me out with a check. Now I know. As I paid her and went back to the car, I noticed the Mercedes outside and realized she just made more in under two hours than I do in twice that time.

Hyper-consumers... Blonds... Cash-only Asian business? Is anyone in Irvine really struggling?

Little China in the park:

On my days off I enjoy taking my son out to the various Irvine parks. One of our favorite places is the Colonel Bill Barber Marine Corps Memorial Park (http://www.cityofirvine.org/depts/cs/commparks/cparks/cparks_colonel.asp). It is located near Barranca and Harvard and has several sport fields, lots of open grass, picnic pavillions, and a fountain/garden. My son especially enjoys the huge tot lot--multiple slides and other great equipment for kids.

We arrived around 9am on a weekday and the place seemed deserted except for two groups of Chinese women. They were congregated under the picnic pavilions and had their Mandarin music blaring. My son was fascinated as they performed their tai chi stretching in unison.

For a few minutes I felt like I was transported to Beijing, China. I remember vacationing there 7 years ago and saw huge crowds of folks doing tai chi in the public spaces every morning.

It was actually a pleasant surprise to see this tradition carried on in Irvine. Then my son pointed out a young girl~3 yo with her Chinese grandpa. At first glance it looked like the girl was standing over a puddle of water. Then I quickly realized that puddle of water was growing bigger--she was doing a tinkle right in the middle of the tot lot! Grandpa seemed very pleased and encouraged the young girl to continue.

I was dumbfounded that anyone would let their kid purposely urinate publicly in the middle of playground. Especially since the bathrooms were only 50 feet away.

I recounted this story to my mother-in-law, who lived in Beijing for many years. She says it is common practice in many parts of China and even seen in the city as well (though less). So I guess my favorite park really did turn into a mini-China experience that morning.

[quote author="jumpcut"]After Hong Kong Disneyland opened a few years ago, there were several news stories about Chinese mainland tourists doing that as well...adults as well as children.[/quote]

That explains it. We saw near the bus bench by Colima and jellick in Rowland heights on 2 different occasions Chinese woman in a squat position defecating on the sidewalk despite of busy traffic.

Well the parts where I was from in Taiwan (the southern rural parts), there are open sewers on the side of the roads... it is customary for kids to just relieve themselves by the side of the road, even #2!

[quote author="graceomalley"]
[quote author="jumpcut"]After Hong Kong Disneyland opened a few years ago, there were several news stories about Chinese mainland tourists doing that as well...adults as well as children.[/quote]

That explains it. We saw near the bus bench by Colima and jellick in Rowland heights on 2 different occasions Chinese woman in a squat position defecating on the sidewalk despite of busy traffic.[/quote]

She might just have mental illness...

Back