Irvine Allergies

Changer

Has anyone experienced a spike in allergies (congestion, runny nose, etc.) since moving to Irvine - specifically Orchard Hills? Any input is appreciated.

I live in SG and this year was the worst in regards to allergies.  I had to take allergy pills (off the shelf) for the first time.  It must be the above norm heat and the construction. 

Yes. I have friends that live in STRADA, CAPELLA, and MESSINA. All have experience some form of allergy or allergic reaction of some sort. However, the friends that live in Messina seem to only get it for a short time and not as bad. Maybe becuase they are further from the Orchards?

It's been horrific this year.  Even the pets are breaking out with skin allergies, etc.  Animal dermatologist stated flat out this has been the worst season in the 20+ years he has been practicing in OC.

SG is right next to trash truck route.  Im sure this kicks up a lot of dust.  Even though the dump is few miles away from these homes, I have no doubts that the winds will carry debris in the air from the dump as well.  The orchards with pesticide spraying, dust from new construction, chemical off gassing from these new or newer homes, increased air pollution from increased traffic likely all play into this. 

We can all call this just "allergies" but in reality, these things all pose significant harm to your body.  Even taking away the potential hazardous chemical worries, just look into the health risks of fine particulate matter. 

hello said:
SG is right next to trash truck route.  Im sure this kicks up a lot of dust.  Even though the dump is few miles away from these homes, I have no doubts that the winds will carry debris in the air from the dump as well.  The orchards with pesticide spraying, dust from new construction, chemical off gassing from these new or newer homes, increased air pollution from increased traffic likely all play into this. 

We can all call this just "allergies" but in reality, these things all pose significant harm to your body.  Even taking away the potential hazardous chemical worries, just look into the health risks of fine particulate matter.

Not really...they don't pose significant harm...the amount we are talking about is so small.

Irvinecommuter said:
hello said:

Not really...they don't pose significant harm...the amount we are talking about is so small.

what does not pose significant harm?

Thanks for the replies. A little more background. We moved from out-of-state and into Orchard Hills in March. Our family very rarely has health issues. In the last 6 months, running noses, drainage, headaches and itchy eyes is the norm. Interested in hearing more opinions on potential causes. It appears high heat and construction dust particulate are contributing factors. Thoughts???

Changer said:
Thanks for the replies. A little more background. We moved from out-of-state and into Orchard Hills in March. Our family very rarely has health issues. In the last 6 months, running noses, drainage, headaches and itchy eyes is the norm. Interested in hearing more opinions on potential causes. It appears high heat and construction dust particulate are contributing factors. Thoughts???

Which tract in OH? How close are you to the orchards?

Changer said:

I think when multiple people in the same housing tract have similar issues, especially when it involves your kids, then there should be some concern.  Of course this is just my opinion, but regardless, I believe this is the second thread from people living in OH that have reported the exact same issues.  I recall the previous poster was concerned because it affected his/her kids.

Unfortunately, I think it may be difficult to figure out the exact cause.  There are so many different potential causes or a combination of causes.  Some considerations should include dust from construction, off gassing from new home, pesticides from orchard, pollution from increased traffic, increased pollen counts.  I would include mold, but I doubt that is an issue in a new home.  Hopefully it is just increased pollen or something less hazardous.

Regardless of the cause, your goal should be finding a solution.
One solution would be to open your windows, but if the allergen is from the outside (like construction dust), things may get worse. 
regardless of the cause you should invest in a very good air purification system.  I would highly recommend IQAir.  They have a variety of products, but starting price is about 1K.  try to avoid ionizing purification systems as they cause ground level/indoor ozone which is not good for you. 
You can also consider air quality sensors.  The last couple years, there have been several companies that started making these.  Foobot, cube sensor are two I can think off the top of my head.  I do not recommend the foobot however as I found them to unreliable.  I do not have any experience with cube sensors so I cannot comment on them.
I know this may be an extreme, but you can also move.  Obviously I would rule out any fixable causes first, but the health of my kids/family would be top priority for me. 

Changer, If you moved from out of state especially from wet cold climates like mid west or East.  We moved last year from mid-west the first year can be challenging in this part of California with the dry, hot and dust and density of people causing lot of sickness due to allergies. Last year was our first year and was aweful with alleergies and this year is better so far and the body may have developed the antibiotics for these lcoal allergies, dust, dry weather and of course the dense popluation  ;D

Talking about hot and dry, i've moved here for four years and the summer is getting longer and hotter. I still remember 2011 summer was pretty cool and on Sep i had to wear hoodies and jackets.

Thanks everyone. I did hear from transplants that there is an adjustment period for your body to get accustomed to the atmosphere in the Irvine bubble.

Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but how are your allergies now?  We moved to OH from Stonegate in January and are experiencing the same thing; allergies we've never had before.  I've had allergies before, but these are different.  A few in our household, including me, are having eye pain.  Not itching or burning, but aching. Also having headaches, draining, and feeling lethargic.

I've seen them spray, a truck drives down the dirt paths in the orchard, with a geyser of green liquid shooting up and over the trees.  It's hard not to think that's not drifting across the street to our home.

The orchards are owned by TIC but operated by Irvine Valencia Growers: (949) 936-8000

I've called and emailed, trying to find out what type of pesticides they use and how often they spray. Still waiting for a response.

I've also talked to the Orange County Agricultural Commission: http://www.ocagcomm.com/ (714) 955-0100

They told me to fill out this form:http://www.ocagcomm.com/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=3089
and send or email it to them.  Then they'll send someone out to investigate, but I'm trying to get in touch with the growers first.

I'm also going to contact the HOA.

Maybe it's not the pesticides, but since that's the biggest difference from where I used to live, I'm trying to rule that out first. Maybe with enough of us bugging them, we can get some movement on this...

Back