iPhone X, XR, XS, XS Max

Happiness said:
$250 amortized over 3 years is just 7 bucks a month. Power banks are small and cheap and will keep you going for a long time.

This is a good point and now I feel like CV who doesn't mind increasing MRs but won't pay an extra $19 for Amazon Prime. :)

I think the sticking point here is telling Mrs. IHO that I'm spending $1149 on an XS (the $999 one only has 64GB) instead of $799 on almost the same phone (XR). She won't see $350 over 3 years... she will just see $350. :)
I wouldn't get the XR because for me, the dual lens camera allows me to travel w/o my dslr (and it's heavy weight around my neck). Portrait mode works great for people and pets and the telephoto lens allows me to zoom in without excessivve pixelation. In other words, does pretty much what most people use dslrs for.
I think that's the difference. I don't really take photos or care about their quality. If I did, I would definitely get an 8 Plus or the XS/XS Max.

Maybe I should just get the $999 XS but 64GB seems like it will get used up fast (already at about 55GB on my 6S).

Went to the Apple store over the weekend... I actually prefer the size of the XS over the XR (just slightly smaller).

The big screen is nice... but I kept pressing the bottom of the phone trying to close the apps. :)

Here i sit with my old 6.  Not even a 6s.  Yet about the only thing interesting in the upgrade is the camera.  Otherwise it does everythng i ask.  The camera, well it takes okay photos.  I mean, do  I really look that rough on Sunday morning in the crowd before Disneyland lets us thru the gate and i snap a selfie?  Yes, yes i do.  So the better camera to capture that in beyond 4K definition and then built in photoshop to magazine cover it is a nice enhancement.

But that's about it.  Is not recognizing myself in my facebook feed worth $1149?

Its not about what apple can do for you!!! It?s about what your money can do for apple! Just buy it already!!!! :)

We have reached Peak Tech - when there is no compelling reason to upgrade, only to replace.

Samsung released the $1,000 Note 9...what...6 weeks ago. This Black Friday after a $300 in store credit, we're sub $700, perhaps with "free" Samsung accessories.

I'd expect the iPhones to discount in December, but really drop around Feb 1.

Apple products like iPhone's are basically luxury items that doesn't retain value well, like Ferragamo bags and Maserati cars.  Very nice style and craftsmanship, but resale value crashes faster than Lexus ES 350's.  If you see something you like and you're patient, wait a bit and buy it used at deep discount.

I still use my Canon Rebel XT (8MP) DSLR with 50mm lens.  Compact and relatively lightweight.  I bought it used ~10 years ago from a photography instructor and it still works great.  The original battery finally died and I recently bought new batteries for it.

momopi said:
Apple products like iPhone's are basically luxury items that doesn't retain value well, like Ferragamo bags and Maserati cars.  Very nice style and craftsmanship, but resale value crashes faster than Lexus ES 350's.  If you see something you like and you're patient, wait a bit and buy it used at deep discount.

I still use my Canon Rebel XT (8MP) DSLR with 50mm lens.  Compact and relatively lightweight.  I bought it used ~10 years ago from a photography instructor and it still works great.  The original battery finally died and I recently bought new batteries for it.

Apple products retain value way better than competitors. 4 year old iPhone 6 going for 150-200 while galaxy s4 and similar 4 year old androids are 100 max.

Same trend with Apple computers, the prices on 4-5. Year old Mac laptops are nuts.

nosuchreality said:
Here i sit with my old 6.  Not even a 6s.  Yet about the only thing interesting in the upgrade is the camera.  Otherwise it does everythng i ask.  The camera, well it takes okay photos.  I mean, do  I really look that rough on Sunday morning in the crowd before Disneyland lets us thru the gate and i snap a selfie?  Yes, yes i do.  So the better camera to capture that in beyond 4K definition and then built in photoshop to magazine cover it is a nice enhancement.

But that's about it.  Is not recognizing myself in my facebook feed worth $1149?

At some point, my 5c stopped accepting iOS updates and certain web sites failed to work or load due to browser limitations. Guessing this may happen for your 6 eventually too. Forcible upgrade.

Rizdak said:
nosuchreality said:

At some point, my 5c stopped accepting iOS updates and certain web sites failed to work or load due to browser limitations. Guessing this may happen for your 6 eventually too. Forcible upgrade.

So are you going upgrade? If so which one are you going to get?

I got an Xr. Interesting that it is the largest device of the series. Resolution and contrast are lower than X and Xs but I can?t really notice.

If anyone was asking about battery life earlier... I?m averaging 2-3 hours screen time / day and it lasts maybe 3-4 days before charging.

Rizdak said:
I got an Xr. Interesting that it is the largest device of the series. Resolution and contrast are lower than X and Xs but I can?t really notice.

If anyone was asking about battery life earlier... I?m averaging 2-3 hours screen time / day and it lasts maybe 3-4 days before charging.

Cool

Rizdak said:

The XR is 326 PPI.  At a distance of 12 inches from your face it's essentially slightly better than the resolution of a typical 20/20 human vision.

@rizdak.

The XS Max is actually the largest with a screen size of 6.8? compared to the XR??s 6.1? screen

But it does have the longest battery life of all iPhones.

I?m really leaning towards an 8 Plus because of the UI/UX.

inv0ke-epipen said:
momopi said:

Apple products retain value way better than competitors. 4 year old iPhone 6 going for 150-200 while galaxy s4 and similar 4 year old androids are 100 max.
Same trend with Apple computers, the prices on 4-5. Year old Mac laptops are nuts.

If you're willing to settle for the lowest end iPhone 6 model, they're $100 (used) at Boost Mobile.  I buy iPad, iMac, Macbook, and Apple TV used off Craiglist and local retailers.  For used Mac computers I prefer ones with more RAM and SSD upgrade, unless if it's a model that has easy access to RAM and HDD slots.  Depending on your tolerance of product age and performance, they can be had for 1/3-1/2 original price.  If you buy an older model, it's possible to install updated version of OSX with patcher, the additional RAM and SSD makes performance more acceptable.

The 2015 27" Retina iMac is still priced at $1,000 & up on resale market.  I'll consider picking one up to replace my existing iMac when the price falls below $700-800.

momopi said:
inv0ke-epipen said:
momopi said:

If you're willing to settle for the lowest end iPhone 6 model, they're $100 (used) at Boost Mobile.  I buy iPad, iMac, Macbook, and Apple TV used off Craiglist and local retailers.  For used Mac computers I prefer ones with more RAM and SSD upgrade, unless if it's a model that has easy access to RAM and HDD slots.  Depending on your tolerance of product age and performance, they can be had for 1/3-1/2 original price.  If you buy an older model, it's possible to install updated version of OSX with patcher, the additional RAM and SSD makes performance more acceptable.

The 2015 27" Retina iMac is still priced at $1,000 & up on resale market.  I'll consider picking one up to replace my existing iMac when the price falls below $700-800.

But doesn't this go opposite to what you said and confirms what invoke said?

The iPhone 6 is 5 year phone yet still sells for $100. Name a 5-year Android phone that is selling for $100.

And at least Apple tried to keep iOS updated on older models, Android forgets about most phones over 2 years old.

I went with the XR, latest tech for lowest buck.

Back