iPhone screen sizes

Agreed if you are looking to get into the X form factor/UX.

I'm still a fan of the home button and TouchID. It's just weird that Apple would make such a design shift just to increase screen real estate.

I remember some Android tablets that used edge-to-edge displays but there was some user difficulties because they were harder to hold since there was no bezel.

And is FaceID more secure than your TouchID? Biometrically, it seems people trust their fingerprint more than their face.

apple made the switch to bigger screens because "services" revenue is increasing at such a rapid pace.  the people want to stream netflix and play fortnite on their phones, so a bigger / high res screen is important to their customers.

Apple's Services Revenue Up 31% Year-Over-Year in 3Q 2018, Company is 'Thrilled' About Upcoming Services Pipeline
Tuesday July 31, 2018 2:39 pm PDT by Juli Clover
Apple's services category continues to see rapid growth, further cementing its position as an important revenue driver for Apple.

During the third fiscal quarter of 2018, Apple's services revenue brought in $9.55 billion in revenue, up 31 percent from the $7.27 billion in revenue services earned in the third quarter of 2017.

The services category includes iTunes, the App Store, the Mac App Store, Apple Music, iCloud, Apple Pay, and AppleCare.

According to Apple CEO Tim Cook, Apple "feels great" about the momentum in its services business, and the company saw double digit growth in its active services installed base. This quarter's growth was driven by strong performance in a number of area.

Subscriptions from Apple and third parties have surpassed $300 million, an increase of 60 percent year over year. Cook called the revenue from subscriptions "significant" and an "increasing portion of services."

There are now nearly 30,000 apps that offer subscriptions, a number that continues to see strong growth.

Cook said that App Store revenue, which set a new June quarter revenue, had exceeded Apple's "wildest expectations." Customers around the world are visiting the App Store more often and downloading more apps than ever before. Citing third-party research, Cook said pointed out that the iOS App Store saw twice the revenue of Google Play.

Apple has seen rapid growth in revenue from App Store search ads, with a recent update expanding search ads to Japan, South Korea, France, Germany.

Apple Music grew by more than 50 percent year-over-year (with Cook again reiterating the 50M subscriber number from May), and AppleCare grew at its highest rate in 18 quarters. Apple's cloud services revenue was up 50 percent year over year, and communications services, including FaceTime and Messages, are hitting all time usage highs. Siri requests have exceeded 100 billion, and articles read on Apple News have doubled year over year.

Apple in 2017 set itself a goal to double its services revenue to $14 billion per quarter by 2020, and the company is well on its way to reaching that goal.

Earlier this year, Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty predicted that over the course of the next five years, services revenue growth will contribute more than 50 percent of Apple's total revenue growth.

Huberty estimated that services revenue is at $30 per device, with just 18 percent of Apple's total device install base subscribing to paid services, leaving plenty of room for growth in the coming years.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/31/apple-services-revenue-up-thrilled-about-pipeline/

irvinehomeowner said:
And is FaceID more secure than your TouchID? Biometrically, it seems people trust their fingerprint more than their face.
I dunno, but it's a bit of a joke that I need to type in my password in the appstore the first time I use it after restarting my phone as it says fingerprints aren't secure enough for that.  Once the password has been typed once, you can use your fingerprint.  Reboot the phone, though, and it wants a password instead.

I'm still running my old iPhone 6s.  Since Apple got caught with their hand in the intentional obsolesce jar a while back, OS upgrades magically no longer seem to have noticeable detrimental effects.

Since I don't stream movies on my phone an have no desire to, I see absolute no reason to upgrade my device.  Needless to say, I'm not the target market for continuous upgrades and chronic use with the last gaming need.

I'm old I guess.

nosuchreality said:
I'm still running my old iPhone 6s.  Since Apple got caught with their hand in the intentional obsolesce jar a while back, OS upgrades magically no longer seem to have noticeable detrimental effects.

Since I don't stream movies on my phone an have no desire to, I see absolute no reason to upgrade my device.  Needless to say, I'm not the target market for continuous upgrades and chronic use with the last gaming need.

I'm old I guess.

ditto. still using my iphone 6 and don't have any plans to upgrade yet.  got the $29 battery replacement earlier this year, which seemed to help a little with speed.

Back