iPhone 7

Woke up to a unresponsive iPhone with a super hot home button.  Had to do the hard reset (used a tissue to prevent scalding my thumb).  Looks like it's fairly common, gonna get it replaced at Apple store.  I miss my 5s

More than a month with the new phone, already got it replaced once due to the hot home button issue, went thru a few cases already and decided this is the best so far:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SX9QF9U

Reinforced at edges, raised corners as well.  It is the most protective without being too hideous at the same time. 

Still getting use to the bigger size of the phone.  In hindsight, the 6s non plus would've been a better fit with me.  Hard to work out in the gym with the brick in my pocket.

On 3D touch: I'm loving using it in one use case - the keyboard. 3D Press the keyboard and it becomes a track pad. Damn useful for correcting typos - much better than stabbing at a sentence and inevitably hitting the adjacent word.

Upgraded from the 6 to the 6s recently and a few things I notice:

1. Touch ID is really fast. It's just like pressing the home button and it's already read your print.
2. It does feel heavier. It's only supposed to be about half an ounce difference, maybe it's mental.
3. It is noticeable faster than the 6. Data-wise, since I have enhanced LTE, I was able to SpeedTest a 50MB download speed.
4. My old 6 case still fit but seems more snug.
5. Battery life isn't as good as the 6, which might be due to having "Hey Siri" on all the time (think Amazon Echo whenever your phone is out). Hey Siri is useful in the car actually.

I do like that trackpad feature for 3D Touch, but other than that, not really finding much use other than playing with motion pictures.

Got the 6s a couple weeks back. Absolutely love it.  Fantastic phone. Great to move away from the Android OS (didn't realize how much you appreciate IOS until you leave and come back).  Only downside is all the positives I gave about the pebble can now be taken away. It is a total piece of shit with the iphone. Utterly worthless. How they can still market it as being IOS compatible should be a crime (and it is a known issue and thus far no one has been able to resolve it for me). 

Bullsback said:
Got the 6s a couple weeks back. Absolutely love it.  Fantastic phone. Great to move away from the Android OS (didn't realize how much you appreciate IOS until you leave and come back).  Only downside is all the positives I gave about the pebble can now be taken away. It is a total piece of shit with the iphone. Utterly worthless. How they can still market it as being IOS compatible should be a crime (and it is a known issue and thus far no one has been able to resolve it for me).

Interestingly enough, I appreciate my Android a ton more whenever I have deal with iOS. 

@bullsback:

Yeah, that's why I returned the Pebble Time, didn't work well with my iPhone.

Maybe I'll try the Garmin Vivoactive or even one of the cheaper Android Wear watches since those are iOS compatible now (Asus Zen 2?).

Irvinecommuter said:
Bullsback said:

Interestingly enough, I appreciate my Android a ton more whenever I have deal with iOS. 
Haters gonna hate.

:)

I should point out, my issue with the Android phone I had wasn't the op system, rather all the bloatware that fully limited the android capabilities. If I could have gotten the Nexus for free I might have, but if I were to buy an android phone again, only one I'd buy would be one of Google's flagships. 

Samsung was terrible and I am a Samsung fan (all my tv's and some of my appliances are samsung). 

Bullsback said:
I should point out, my issue with the Android phone I had wasn't the op system, rather all the bloatware that fully limited the android capabilities. If I could have gotten the Nexus for free I might have, but if I were to buy an android phone again, only one I'd buy would be one of Google's flagships. 

Samsung was terrible and I am a Samsung fan (all my tv's and some of my appliances are samsung).

Bloatware is mostly carrier based.  I got an international Galaxy s6 last year and it's pretty much bloatware free.  You can also turn/hide most of the bloatware now.  There is also jailbreaking. 

On the other hand, iOS basically locks you into dumb mode.

Irvinecommuter said:
Bullsback said:

Bloatware is mostly carrier based.  I got an international Galaxy s6 last year and it's pretty much bloatware free.  You can also turn/hide most of the bloatware now.  There is also jailbreaking. 

On the other hand, iOS basically locks you into dumb mode.
IOS basically just works. I understand it has its limitations but I'm not interested in jail-breaking anything and I don't want to spend a bunch of time customizing my phone. I realize the pro's / con's of both and compared to my needs, widely prefer the IOS. Shockingly, most everyone I know in the IT world has slowly moved over to preferring the apple (which is a shock cause initially most of them were all heavy android people).  When I was 16, I'd have another opinion cause I liked fiddling with stuff, but now I just want the thing to work and be as intuitive as possible. 

The bulk of the bloatware on the legacy Samsung's were from Samsung itself. It was all Samsung nonsense products.  Nothing to do with the carrier.

I also see a shift to iOS due to the fact that the user experience is more consistent and updates to the latest version are faster.

The same problem with bloatware being carrier related is also what keeps phones from getting the latest version of Android because those updates are carrier dependent.

For example, an iPhone 5 from 4 years ago will have iOS 9 today but a Galaxy Note II is only at Android 4.4.2 when 5.0 has been out for a while.

When you are developing mobile apps, it's more difficult because you have a more diverse number of versions accessing it.

The problem with Android is it is open source freeware and everyone has their own "customized" version of it.  Can you imagine if every PC maker had their own version of Windows?  Unless you are some Linux nerd, iOS is by far the better solution.  BTW, I use both iOS and the Samsung version of Android.

Happiness said:
The problem with Android is it is open source freeware and everyone has their own "customized" version of it.  Can you imagine if every PC maker had their own version of Windows?  Unless you are some Linux nerd, iOS is by far the better solution.  BTW, I use both iOS and the Samsung version of Android.

That's not Android's fault...that's because Android devices have varying levels of processors and memory.  You can't load Windows 10 on to your 5 year old laptop...that's why XP was so popular.  Fragmentation is the result of the consumers electing not to upgrade...not because the makers of phones or Android choose not to. 

Apple basically forces their users to upgrade which is okay because most Apple users get the latest phone anyways.  But I can tell you that there are plenty of iOS users who wants to keep their older phones but can't because they have to upgrade to the latest iOS.

Irvinecommuter said:
That's not Android's fault...that's because Android devices have varying levels of processors and memory. 
Not really the issue. iOS devices have various processors and RAM, and now varying screen resolutions/sizes.
You can't load Windows 10 on to your 5 year old laptop...that's why XP was so popular.
Actually, you can load Win10 on a 5 year old laptop, may not run as fast but will work (esp if you upgrade RAM).
Fragmentation is the result of the consumers electing not to upgrade...not because the makers of phones or Android choose not to. 
Not quite.

Fragmentation can be better controlled by the controller of the OS/hardware if they wanted to. Apple can do it, so why can't Google?

Answer: Google/Android doesn't have the pull that iOS (read: iPhone) sales have so they can't force the carriers to issue upgrades like Apple does. The only phone line they control updates for is the Nexus line.
Apple basically forces their users to upgrade which is okay because most Apple users get the latest phone anyways.  But I can tell you that there are plenty of iOS users who wants to keep their older phones but can't because they have to upgrade to the latest iOS.
Not true. Older devices can still get the latest version of iOS, but not all the features that the newer hardware can support.

You can update to iOS 9 as far back as the iPhone 4s, the iPad mini and the iPad 2, all devices that were released 3 to 4 years ago (the iPad 2 was released 4 and a half years ago).

Compare that to Android 6.0 (Lollipop) where I think you can only go back to Nexus devices released in 2013 and most vendor/carriers will only go back one year to allow updates.

I still have friends who use their 4s phones and are fine with it until the 7 comes out.

I realize many don't like the walled garden aspect of iOS but the benefit is a better controlled ecosystem, user experience and upgrade path. Does that mean I'll abandon my Android devices? Nope... Android has other benefits too so I like to keep my options open, although Win10 is beginning to move me back to MS for the tablet space. Android used to be my go-to OS for tablets while MS was mainly desktop/notebook... but with the convergence of their latest OS, my next tablet purchase will most likely be Win10 over Android.

I upgraded from the 6 plus to the 6s plus for a couple months now. While I like the upgraded cameras and Touch ID speed, the other features including 3D Touch have more room to improve. Hopefully other apps will take advantage of the feature.

I will probably upgrade again next year. Here is my wish list:
1) Upgrade to OLED screen
2) Same screen size but smaller form factor-- get rid of home button / borders at top and bottom. Touch ID via screen.
3) Better Battery life
4) Firmware upgrade for NFC to allow pairing/sync
5) Improved water / environmental protection

IHO:  Older versions of iphone can get the latest iOS but it essentially cripples the phone because of the memory and CPU demand.  You also have different makers of phones so each maker wants to make sure the new Android OS is good to go.

If you force upgrade Android phone...a number of them would crash or slow down dramatically.  You can't upgrade smartphones and there are plenty of 5 year old laptops that would not meet the minimum requirements (have the HDD space) to host Windows 10.

iOS is also fragmented:
https://david-smith.org/iosversionstats/

iPhone Only:
9.X 68.7%
8.X 19.0%
7.X 11.0%
6.X 1.1%
5.X 0.1%
4.X 0.0%

Also, iphone 6/6s/6+ is about 43 % of the iphone marketshare out there....5s is at 22%...totaling at about 65% which is about the adoption rate of iOS 9.  5s is about 2 years old.

Galaxy s5 is almost 2 years old and you can get Lollipop 5.1.1 for it. 

Look at the complaints at those with phones lower than iphone 6 and trying to upgrade ios 9...
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/10/01/iphone-5-ios-9-update-10-things-we-learned-in-two-weeks/
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/8...and-iphone-4s-slowing-down-due-to-upgrade.htm

Fragmentation is not nearly the issue that it is made out to be:
https://gigaom.com/2014/08/17/its-2014-and-android-fragmentation-is-no-longer-a-problem/

We also haven't gotten to the point that the base model for iphone has 16 gigs whereas everyone else has gone to 32 gigs.

Irvinecommuter said:
iOS is also fragmented:

iPhone Only:
9.X 68.7%
8.X 19.0%
7.X 11.0%
6.X 1.1%
5.X 0.1%
4.X 0.0%
I hope this is not indicative of your lawyering skills.

1. You chose a personal blog as your basis for stats.
2. It was the first link on Google.
3. Did you verify how he got his source? From his AudioBooks app that is not even close to being indicative of a majority of iOS users.

If you look at Mixpanel, that uses a variety of sources, their numbers are closer to 80% for iOS9, 15% iOS8 and 5% for lower.
https://mixpanel.com/trends/#report/ios_9

Here's a more recent article about adoption rates on iOS vs Android earlier this year before iOS9 came out:
http://www.cnet.com/news/ios-8-hits-85-adoption-rate-android-lollipop-only-at-18/

Feeling like AndroidCare to me.

irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:
iOS is also fragmented:

iPhone Only:
9.X 68.7%
8.X 19.0%
7.X 11.0%
6.X 1.1%
5.X 0.1%
4.X 0.0%
I hope this is not indicative of your lawyering skills.

1. You chose a personal blog as your basis for stats.
2. It was the first link on Google.
3. Did you verify how he got his source? From his AudioBooks app that is not even close to being indicative of a majority of iOS users.

If you look at Mixpanel, that uses a variety of sources, their numbers are closer to 80% for iOS9, 15% iOS8 and 5% for lower.
https://mixpanel.com/trends/#report/ios_9

Here's a more recent article about adoption rates on iOS vs Android earlier this year before iOS9 came out:
http://www.cnet.com/news/ios-8-hits-85-adoption-rate-android-lollipop-only-at-18/

Feeling like AndroidCare to me.

70% from what I can find
http://techcrunch.com/2015/12/02/apple-puts-ios-9-adoption-at-70-based-on-app-store-usage-numbers/

Again...we have forced upgrade...the question is whether that is good or bad. 

Back