IP Preferred Lender (OnQ Financial) Vs. Another Broker?

BuddyLeo

In purchasing a home with Irvine Pacific at Stonegate, I want to get advice on  the pros and cons of using their preferred lender, OnQ Financial, vs. another broker?

I think there is a penalty for every day that you don't close on time so this is a bit worrisome if you don't use their lender.

Thanks for the feedback!

The issue of "since they're an outside lender, and if they don't close on time, you'll get charged $300 per day" isn't based in reality. Yes, if you delay closing you could get charged. Yes, if your lender really screws up, you could get charged, but in both cases the vested interest by these parties is the same - close!

Trouble arises when the HOA can't get their act together or there are appraisal / insurance conflicts. Those are outside of the buyer, the builder, and the lenders control. I had a recent Stonegate closing that took 2,000 pages of HOA documentation to get just to straighten out the HOA's responsibility for future phases of a Condo project. Getting that level of documentation was terrible and the management company really was less than helpful. The insurance company for the Sub-HOA was in control of future phases, but didn't have copies of the builders insurance that covered those dwellings. That took another week of arm twisting to get. Even with a mountain of paperwork and so many people to deal with on important legal issues, the loan still closed on time. It's an example of how competence can make or break one of the most important financial decision you can make. When it's a late close because of the HOA, Insurance, or the Builder, you won't get dinged and they often turn out to be the problem, not the solution.

To me, the bigger part of deciding who to work with does boil down to competence. The builder uses certain lenders because they are market competitive, know the project, and more than often close on time. In doing your research with outside lenders (TI, Zillow Mortgage Marketplace, Lending Tree, Yelp) you'll find out pretty quickly who knows what they're doing and who's just slinging nonsense. The competence question is answered pretty quickly when you ask the right questions.

The second part - costs and rates - can't be answered right away by any lender- builder preferred our outside lender. Comparing rates and fees in a 4-5 month build time is a real waste of your resources so my advice is don't worry about solving the fee/rate puzzle at this stage. Roughly 65 days out, you get in writing on the same day a fee sheet (not a GFE) from 1-3 lenders, find one trusted mortgage professional out of all of them to help interpret the sheets as they could still be BS, and make your decision then and there.

A board member here on TI who was purchasing new construction had taken this advice, got a couple of quotes, and decided to use a major bank since they had the best price and, more importantly, they could commit to close on time. This decision was made 60 days prior to getting their keys to the home, and they got a fair, market competitive deal from a reputable lender. I'm sure once the decision was made some relief was felt since the hassle of deciding who to close with was now behind them.

There's a great deal of slack in the mortgage industry today and you'll find people quoting things that just are bait to bring in something---ANYTHING so they don't close the doors next month. I strongly believe you'll avoid that kind of problem, along with other issues that come up when buying new construction,  by taking my advice on how to pick who you'll work with.

My .02c

BuddyLeo said:
I think there is a penalty for every day that you don't close on time so this is a bit worrisome if you don't use their lender.

They keep bringing that up to scare you into using them.  Would you want to do business with someone using that kind of marketing strategy?

BuddyLeo said:
In purchasing a home with Irvine Pacific at Stonegate, I want to get advice on  the pros and cons of using their preferred lender, OnQ Financial, or another broker?

Thanks for the feedback!

I recommend getting Wella Fargo.

BuddyLeo said:
In purchasing a home with Irvine Pacific at Stonegate, I want to get advice on  the pros and cons of using their preferred lender, OnQ Financial, vs. another broker?

Thanks for the feedback!

FWIW, we didn't have a good experience with OnQ Financial.  It is hard to say if they are "bad" as it was the first loan we got so we have no reference point.

If there's a rating system for OnQ, I would given than 3 star out of 5 star rating system.

Pro: You don't have to worry about not closing on time.  They are very familiar with the builder, HOA, and escrow company and they are in contact with them all the time.  It makes closing smoothly.

Cons:
They don't have just one loan person in charge of your case.  Every time you have inquiry, it's different person answer your questions.  Since they have ton of loan cases, I wonder how they can focus on your case among different workers.  Others like Well Fargo will have a loan officer in charge with your case from beginning to the end.

They are not cheap.  Their rate and credit are not the best in town. 

Some of IP homes uses Well Fargo as their preferred lender.  Although  Well Fargo's fee and rates are similar to OnQ's,  my experience with Well Fargo's service are lot better.

lnc said:
If there's a rating system for OnQ, I would given than 3 star out of 5 star rating system.

Pro: You don't have to worry about not closing on time.  They are very familiar with the builder, HOA, and escrow company and they are in contact with them all the time.  It makes closing smoothly.

Cons:
They don't have just one loan person in charge of your case.  Every time you have inquiry, it's different person answer your questions.  Since they have ton of loan cases, I wonder how they can focus on your case among different workers.  Others like Well Fargo will have a loan officer in charge with your case from beginning to the end.

They are not cheap.  Their rate and credit are not the best in town. 

Some of IP homes uses Well Fargo as their preferred lender.  Although  Well Fargo's fee and rates are similar to OnQ's,  my experience with Well Fargo's service are lot better.

Completely agree., OnQ isn't helpful when you have inquiry.  As you know., rate changes everyday.  If you can't find your loan officer on the good day...  how are you going to lock the rate before/if it goes up again?

If you have a good loan officer that you can reach within mins.  everything problem/item can be taking care of.  Most likely you will close on time.. there is no reason worry about penalty

My was closed recently, just speak from experience and why I move away from OnQ.

Back