Investment Property in OC under 600K

eyephone said:
the.irvine said:
How about LA county?

Check around Inglewood or Carson. I think some people previously mentioned that on TI. (Do a search on TI)

Inglewood is a good candidate for gentrification with the new Rams stadium going in.  You might be able to break even monthly, with upside potential for appreciation once the stadium is built.

hello said:
Liar Loan said:
hello said:
I would love to see anyone link a house that truly cash flows in the OC at 20% down.  I find that people often miscalculate cash flow because they do not account for things properly such as vacancy, maintenance, taxes, borrowing costs, insurance and even PM fees.  If you throw in opportunity costs for the down payments being used I would argue its nearly impossible to find truly cash flowing properties in the OC.

It's difficult but not impossible.  This one would cashflow at the listing price, but might need some interior work (no photos).
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Ana/1009-N-Bewley-St-92703/home/3898276

Listing Price:  $300,000
Rent:  $2,200-2,400

Wow that actually looks like it will cash flow.  FInd me another one like that so I can buy it.  LOL

The trash can in the picture says it all.

I went to Bass Pro Shops in Rancho Cucamonga on Sunday, then crossed the street to Victoria Gardens mall.

The areas surrounding Bass Pro Shops is now filled with recently built housing and the outdoor mall is packed with families -- kids everywhere.  The area has a strong growing vibe.  The mall has more stores now and parking can be an issue, though it looks like they are planning to build additional parking structure.

Home prices are not cheap but I suspect like Riverside, it may have big drops in the next down cycle.  There is a train station locally and commute by train to LA union station is about 1 HR 10 min each way.  There is no good train schedule from that station to Fullerton/Irvine due to lengthy station transfer routes.

In the last down cycle you can buy nice 4 bed SFR in cul-de-sac in Norwalk/Bellflower/Downey area for $250K, but the home will likely be 40 years old.  Commuting to both LA Union Station and Irvine is doable from Norwalk/Santa Fe train station.  In the next down cycle you may be able to purchase new-ish SFR in Rancho for $250K, monthly rental income will be couple hundred bucks less vs Norwalk/Bellflower area.

Regarding to Rancho, unlike Irvine where home price are the first to raise and the last to fall during housing market up and down, Rancho Cucamonga is just the opposite, they are the first to fall and the last to rise.  And their housing market will be more sensitive to economy situation and more dramatic in price fall than Irvine.

And yes, I believe we are in the late stage of housing boom cycle so  there might be a good buying opportunity for this area in the next down turn.

My brother recommended that we invest in a "bail out" property verrrrryyy close to that Santa Ana Bewley street listing a couple of years ago. After touring the home, what sealed the deal for me was the bullet holes in the bedroom windows. At present prices it looks like I made the right choice by moving on to another location.

LA County around Inglewood has seen prices jump by quite a bit once the Stadium was announced. That's quite a peak now to be buying in.

Isn't it wise at this point to accumulate cash, then sweep in after the final HQ2 site is announced? That's going to be quite the land rush, IMHO.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People said:
My brother recommended that we invest in a "bail out" property verrrrryyy close to that Santa Ana Bewley street listing a couple of years ago. After touring the home, what sealed the deal for me was the bullet holes in the bedroom windows. At present prices it looks like I made the right choice by moving on to another location.

LA County around Inglewood has seen prices jump by quite a bit once the Stadium was announced. That's quite a peak now to be buying in.

Isn't it wise at this point to accumulate cash, then sweep in after the final HQ2 site is announced? That's going to be quite the land rush, IMHO.

My .02c

The property with the grafti on the trash can went pending. (The one that was previous mention in Santa Ana)
Not my cup of tea.

lnc said:
Regarding to Rancho, unlike Irvine where home price are the first to raise and the last to fall during housing market up and down, Rancho Cucamonga is just the opposite, they are the first to fall and the last to rise.  And their housing market will be more sensitive to economy situation and more dramatic in price fall than Irvine.

And yes, I believe we are in the late stage of housing boom cycle so  there might be a good buying opportunity for this area in the next down turn.

This is astute analysis.  On a percentage basis, I think you can make more buying in a place like Rancho during the downturn.  If you instead buy near the peak (probably soon), you have the most to lose compared to a place like Irvine.

This is a good point.  I was looking at multi-units there about three years ago before the Rams deal was finalized, and back then they would have broken even on a monthly basis, but I haven't checked on prices lately.  With all of the different areas of LA gentrifying right now, I'm sure investors were jumping into Inglewood after the announcement.

Need more like $900k for a 3 bed, wont get much in a nice area for $600k unless you go much further inland to the boonies around Portola.

eyephone said:
This is funny recommending Santa Ana.

I would actually recommend Santa Ana  >:D
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Ana/369-E-Memory-Ln-92705/home/21935164

We have a similar floor plan in the same development that currently rents for $3100 per month since 2016.
It's a newer development with very low HOA and 1% taxes.
This part of Santa Ana is much nicer and newer. Rentals here are in short supply and the demand is high.
This area has appreciated 20 - 25% in the last 2-3 years.

Kenkoko said:
eyephone said:
This is funny recommending Santa Ana.

I would actually recommend Santa Ana  >:D
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Ana/369-E-Memory-Ln-92705/home/21935164

We have a similar floor plan in the same development that currently rents for $3100 per month since 2016.
It's a newer development with very low HOA and 1% taxes.
This part of Santa Ana is much nicer and newer. Rentals here are in short supply and the demand is high.
This area has appreciated 20 - 25% in the last 2-3 years.

$3100 for that! Good for you.

Couple of things that need to be scanned for prior to purchasing in any Condo development.

1) If you're buying Non-Owner, an HOA Cert has a 99.5 percent chance of be required by your lender. FYI It's sometimes case by case when buying Owner Occupied. The HOA Cert will turn up details like litigation or low Fidelity Bond/HOA insurance, killing off the deal.

2) If it's cheap and a great rental, you may not be the only one recognizing this fact. Some Condo projects are well over 50% investor owned. Once that tipping point is reached, only a small percentage of lenders will fund in that community and the rate you may get isn't bueno. The only way to get this information is from the HOA Management, not the seller, and not the listing Agent.

One way to tell if there's an issue - check the listing history on the unit in question, as well as a couple others in the same tract. If it shows Listed, Under Contract, Re-Listed, Price Reduced, Under Contract, Price Reduced, Price Reduced... it means there's trouble financing the property.

Some listing Agents will tell buyers "It's no problem....you should be able to finance the home!" - I had this happen last week with a customer of mine - The seller and their Agent had a nice squishy letter from the attorney suing the builder saying it's nooooo problem to purchase. Oddly enough, the seller or the Agent didn't have a lender on hand ready to finance the property for this buyer. As it turned out,  The project was for all intents and purposes a failed remodel and likely headed for years of contingency fee payments to these attorneys. Best not to get involved in cases like this.

Low cost condos in well managed communities is still a great way to invest in rental property. It's the up front legwork that will be a bit of a hassle, but well worth it in the long run.

My .02c

eyephone said:
$3100 for that! Good for you.

Our unit is slightly bigger than this one, but the going rate for this unit is around $2850 - $3000.
This development is right next to CHOC hospital and St, Joseph Hospital. A lot of the renter are working professionals there.

Couple of things that need to be scanned for prior to purchasing in any Condo development.

1) If you're buying Non-Owner, an HOA Cert has a 99.5 percent chance of be required by your lender. FYI It's sometimes case by case when buying Owner Occupied. The HOA Cert will turn up details like litigation or low Fidelity Bond/HOA insurance, killing off the deal.

2) If it's cheap and a great rental, you may not be the only one recognizing this fact. Some Condo projects are well over 50% investor owned. Once that tipping point is reached, only a small percentage of lenders will fund in that community and the rate you may get isn't bueno. The only way to get this information is from the HOA Management, not the seller, and not the listing Agent.

One way to tell if there's an issue - check the listing history on the unit in question, as well as a couple others in the same tract. If it shows Listed, Under Contract, Re-Listed, Price Reduced, Under Contract, Price Reduced, Price Reduced... it means there's trouble financing the property.

Some listing Agents will tell buyers "It's no problem....you should be able to finance the home!" - I had this happen last week with a customer of mine - The seller and their Agent had a nice squishy letter from the attorney suing the builder saying it's nooooo problem to purchase. Oddly enough, the seller or the Agent didn't have a lender on hand ready to finance the property for this buyer. As it turned out,  The project was for all intents and purposes a failed remodel and likely headed for years of contingency fee payments to these attorneys. Best not to get involved in cases like this.

Low cost condos in well managed communities is still a great way to invest in rental property. It's the up front legwork that will be a bit of a hassle, but well worth it in the long run.

My .02c
Great info!
I suspect #2 did happen. It was on the market for more than 180 days and have going into escrow 3 times before we came in.

eyephone said:
Didn?t you say this already?
The one i posted previously was a smaller unit (1841 sqft vs 2488 sqft) and it was already pending.
This one is available and is a better buy IMO.

Kenkoko said:
eyephone said:
Didn?t you say this already?
The one i posted previously was a smaller unit (1841 sqft vs 2488 sqft) and it was already pending.
This one is available and is a better buy IMO.

Maybe you should sell also. (Flashing sign)

Back