Investment property - Advice

Great insight from everyone on this thread.  I?ve always been curious - what has been the average appreciation for Irvine, say for the past 5 to 10 years, for SF homes and condo?  I searched the site a bit and couldn?t find this info.  Appreciate the input!

Thanks for the info.  These appreciations, per Zillow, seem low based on what I have seen in Irvine.  What do you guys think?

liege168 said:
Thanks for the info.  These appreciations, per Zillow, seem low based on what I have seen in Irvine.  What do you guys think?

My prop appreciated 8% in 2 years, take that for a comparison haha !

liege168 said:
The numbers look reasonable to me.  Keep in mind that prices went down from 2007 to about 2011, whereas prices have been rising since 2012.  If you're looking long term, this should give you a good idea about what kind of appreciation you can expect over the next 10 year timeframe.  Pricing wise, we are closer to 2007 than to 2012 IMO.

After living through three separate multi-year price decline periods, please let me assure you that property values are never guaranteed.

Have Irvine property values done well over the past decade? Certainly. Be careful about the numbers though. $721,000 in 2007's USD would translate to $851,188 in 2017 USD. We're not quite back at peak 2007 yet, but it's getting closer every day.

https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=721000&year1=200710&year2=201710

Also, 2007 property mixes were likely more SFR and Condo units. In 2017, there are SFR, Detached Condo, and Attached Condo's that will skew the numbers a bit.

Appreciation is relative to so many factors. What happens if IUSD school quality dips? What if there are Sacramento led tax changes that compel many companies to flee the state?

Let's be clear. I'm not being doomy or gloomy. Just recommend looking at other things besides potential, and never certain, appreciation when making big ticket investment decisions.

My .02c

SGIP

Back