Inventory creeping up?

thatOSguy said:
So... Resales are soft, neighbors are discounting because they can't sell. Yet it's too expensive to buy resale. And OH is a #valuvlg, but is going to be a premium investment.

The cognitive dissonance is a little much, even for me.

Stick to reality and you might find less dissonence.
No one said resale was "too expensive."
No one said OH was a "#valuvlg."  (I use hashtags cuz I'm hip.)  Well, I guess WTTCMN did suggest it.
No one said it was "going to be a premium investment."

O Hills said:
thatOSguy said:
So... Resales are soft, neighbors are discounting because they can't sell. Yet it's too expensive to buy resale. And OH is a #valuvlg, but is going to be a premium investment.

No one said OH was a "#valuvlg."  (I use hashtags cuz I'm hip.)  Well, I guess WTTCMN did suggest it.

Yet you haven't backed up a single thing you've said with facts. It's funny because I live in Portola Springs and I'm the one arguing it's cheaper than Orchard Hills while the person who bought in Orchard Hills is saying it's cheaper. Shouldn't we be both arguing that we live in the more expensive village?  ;D

paperboyNC said:
O Hills said:
thatOSguy said:

Yet you haven't backed up a single thing you've said with facts. It's funny because I live in Portola Springs and I'm the one arguing it's cheaper than Orchard Hills while the person who bought in Orchard Hills is saying it's cheaper. Shouldn't we be both arguing that we live in the more expensive village?  ;D

Yeah, you'll have to take me at my word.  I'm not an agent, dont have "back up," and don't have time to chase it down for you.
You're right, I have no reason to try to convince you that my new home is cheaper.
But, believe what you want-- you can even believe your house is cheapest.  :)

i1 said:
Is there any easy place to check how many new home sales closed in irvine in the last month or year to date?

No. Most are never put on the MLS which redfin makes public. You'd have to use city records which are not as easily accessible. One of the realtors on here could provide more info I'm sure.

You can look at the trends by making a list of new home developments and looking at each thread to see the number of homes per phase and the phases sold, etc.

O Hills said:
paperboyNC said:
O Hills said:
thatOSguy said:

Yeah, you'll have to take me at my word.  I'm not an agent, dont have "back up," and don't have time to chase it down for you.
You're right, I have no reason to try to convince you that my new home is cheaper.

We also considered resale in Woodbury, Northwood Point, Turtle Ridge, Laguna Altura and Quail Hill.

We went with Orchard Hills and nothing else was better on the total price/tax/hoa.
We also considered personal factors on the location (our kids attend Orchard Hills and Beckman and dont spend time in the yard).

Maybe there a some better deals now, but when we were looking, Orchard Hills was the best bang for the buck for us.

O Hills said:
O Hills said:
paperboyNC said:
O Hills said:
thatOSguy said:

We also considered resale in Woodbury, Northwood Point, Turtle Ridge, Laguna Altura and Quail Hill.

We went with Orchard Hills and nothing else was better on the total price/tax/hoa.
We also considered personal factors on the location (our kids attend Orchard Hills and Beckman and dont spend time in the yard).

Maybe there a some better deals now, but when we were looking, Orchard Hills was the best bang for the buck for us.

BTW, New listing in PS @$491/SF- listing says major upgrades (dont they all?).
It'll be interesting to see where the current crop of PS homes end up on SF basis.
I'm guessing the average will be high $400.

WTTCMN said:
O Hills said:
It'll be interesting to see where the current crop of PS homes end up on SF basis.

41 Native Trail?http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/41-Native-Trl-92618/home/40101856

That house does have a lot of upgrades - just look at the listing photos.  Definitely can't replicate the interior upgrades and landscaping with spending "much less" than $140k.  But it's hard to compare since you haven't done paperboy's math exercise with an OH home.  What you can argue is you don't need all those upgrades or care for that taste so why pay for it.

My kids (four of them) would destroy all of those nice upgrades in less than a week.
I'm thinking rubber-room chic.

WTTCMN said:
O Hills said:
WTTCMN said:
O Hills said:

41 Native Trail?http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/41-Native-Trl-92618/home/40101856

That house does have a lot of upgrades - just look at the listing photos.  Definitely can't replicate the interior upgrades and landscaping with spending "much less" than $140k.  But it's hard to compare since you haven't done paperboy's math exercise with an OH home.  What you can argue is you don't need all those upgrades or care for that taste so why pay for it.

My kids (four of them) would destroy all of those nice upgrades in less than a week.
I'm thinking rubber-room chic.

I hear ya. And I'm in your camp in terms of "I rather buy new" then deal with someone else's taste/decor. But I'll tell you this much. It definitely isn't cheap. New home construction is one big gigantic money pit.

TRUE DAT!!!
But I've bought both new and resale and spent a ton on both.

The thing with new is there are must-spend costs... window coverings and landscaping at the minimum. With resale, it may not be to your taste, but in most cases that's covered (literally).

As for upgrades, you tend to want to do them on new more because you don't have to deal with the contractor hassle and you can roll it into your mortgage. I'm sure if resales had a "design center" that would do all the work prior to move-in and you can roll it into the purchase price, more people would do that too.

But that's the thing, you can wait on those costs for resale. Do them over time or just live with them or get used to the pink tile floor.

So on a cost perspective, it's very hard to argue that new is less than resale (unless you were in early phases at PP... :) ) but on a taste/design perspective, new probably has an advantage.

I obviously favor resale because I prefer 3CWGs, multiple 1st floor living spaces and a larger lot... so my opinion is skewed that resale "cost" less and you get more. But back when new homes had the features I thought I wanted, I felt that new was the better bargain despite some higher costs (MRs for example is something people tend to ignore).

irvinehomeowner said:
But that's the thing, you can wait on those costs for resale. Do them over time or just live with them or get used to the pink tile floor.

99%er :)

Agreed. 
But if you just take all standard, use blinds, and install sod in the yard, you can avoid/delay a lot of the costs on new too.
I wouldnt do it, but I've seen the strategy pay off because it's hard to recover upgrade costs.

If you're looking for a resale deal, you'll probably have some costs that are unavoidable, although not on the same scale.
With resale you'll also need to factor in repair/replacement costs.

Either way all houses are huge money pits.  Maybe I should just rent.

O Hills said:
With resale you'll also need to factor in repair/replacement costs.
This also depends.

After a year, you are pretty much in the same position as the builder warranty is done.

I used to prefer new because of this same issue... but I've found the equal amount of "headaches" with either.

Plus, I always purchase and extend a home warranty (even on new). The $60 visit fee is worth more than me trying to vet, negotiate or do it myself.

Back