Introducing myself

f1studentinus

Good Morning members,

I am moving to Irvine from Corona as the commute to and from work was becoming painful.

Although I am a computer programmer by trade, I also like to fix (if any of you need fixing your AVR, printer etc let me know!) and build electronics: from embedded systems, robots to DIY PCs

I wanted to join this forum to seek the help of forum members to help me get an affordable internet service (Something affordable on Cox or AT&T) to begin with and then discover the rest of the city with your feedback.

Look forward to hearing more from you all!

Welcome to TI f1student.

For hi-speed Internet, your only choices are Cox cable or AT&T DSL/Uverse. You may want to consider 3G/4G/LTE from a cell phone provider like Sprint or TMobile since those are both unlimited (Sprint doesn't throttle). They have routers for home use.

With a $100+ equipment charge and ~$30+ for a horrible 784Kbps connection under a 1yr contract, neither Cox nor  AT&T seem very enticing (unless they hand out better deals through their agents or you have to sign up for the" promotional" 3 months pricing and then complain a lot over phone to have the promotion extended? Are these what Cox makes you do to keep the monthly costs low?)

Both Sprint and Tmo sound interesting - anyone use wireless internet on this board?

Do they allow you to tether (use the laptop/computer though the cell modem)?

Suggestions would be very much welcome.

Try dslxtreme.com.  They're a AT&T reseller.  You should be able to get 3Mbps down, 512kbps up for 14.95 a month if you sign a 12 month contract.

Thank you!

I found these guys last evenign as well but since they made me go though an elaborate "pre qualification" process before they would even tell me if my area had their service or not I put them on hol.

Anyone personally uses their service?

How is the service?

Can you bring your own AT&T DSL Equipment (I have a few 2wire gateways from my previous contracts)

Thanks to both of you for the feedback - helps a lot.

I've used them before for my dad's business.  You can use your old AT&T equipment, but you may need to reconfigure the modem a little.  I can't remember what settings I had to change, but they send you a modem, just take a look at the settings on the modem and transfer to yours. 

One thing that annoyed me with them is that they would not remind you when your contract is about to end, and automatically switch you over to the higher month to month pricing when the contract is over.  Might not be a big deal for you if you don't plan to stay in the same place for more than a year.

f1studentinus,

Welcome to TI!

I've been happy with COX high speed internet. Are you doing a lot of uploading?

The download speeds even on their lowest tier plan is decent @ 3mbps and up to 50mbps on their ultimate plan. Upload speeds lag a bit from 768kbps up to 5mbps. Prices range from $30-$84 per month for a 3 month special.

f1studentinus said:
With a $100+ equipment charge and ~$30+ for a horrible 784Kbps connection under a 1yr contract, neither Cox nor  AT&T seem very enticing (unless they hand out better deals through their agents or you have to sign up for the" promotional" 3 months pricing and then complain a lot over phone to have the promotion extended? Are these what Cox makes you do to keep the monthly costs low?)

Both Sprint and Tmo sound interesting - anyone use wireless internet on this board?

Do they allow you to tether (use the laptop/computer though the cell modem)?

Suggestions would be very much welcome.

i have cox premier.  on speedtest.net i get about 30-40Mbps on the download and about 15-20Mbps on the upload.

I am overwhelmed by all the welcome! THANK YOU!

This morning there were only two people who responded, and I was like "hmm, so this is a small closely knit community. good enough"

By afternoon, from the number of responses I was like "wow, this is really a large yet closely knit community. this is wonderful!"

Thanks for the wishes.

About the internet, I will create a new thread so that later posters get to use the information, but I have narrowed down to DSLExtreme and Sonic.NET

I will decide on one of them after I call them and understand what the service is like. If any of you guys have used them let me know  ;D

The plan is not to spend more than $20/mo on internet.

I used to run my own webserver off an old PC inhouse but now it's all served off S3 as it's static content anyways since the last two years. I still run VPN and X Server for infreqent inhouse troubleshooting etc

f1studentinus said:
Can you bring your own AT&T DSL Equipment (I have a few 2wire gateways from my previous contracts)
I don't see why not. I've used an old DSL router when the one I was using at the time stopped working.

Do any of the apartments you are a looking at provide WiFi service? Not sure if any Irvine apartment businesses have progressed that far.

irvinehomeowner said:
Do any of the apartments you are a looking at provide WiFi service? Not sure if any Irvine apartment businesses have progressed that far.

They do provide free wifi at the public areas but I never tried connecting. Of course having your own connection is essential and it seems that I will have to get a DSL line through either ATT or VZW even before I can sign up for either sonic.net or DSLExtreme so that adds ~$15 to their own cost which puts my $20/mo dream situation very bleak  :'(

Back