Interior Paint DIY vs Hiring a Pro?

3 High finished our place on Saturday.

We had them do a complete interior painting on ~2200 square feet, including a 2 car garage, ceilings & doors - spanning 8 colors. In short, we had them paint every single surface that could be painted (excluding melamine, countertops and floors).

The crew was in for four days solid (3-4 guys depending on the day). They used D-E paint and followed our instructions reasonably well -- we marked off each wall with the respective color using masking tape and posted the floor plan with colors on the water heater.

We checked in every day to monitor progress. There were a couple of misses - wrong paint color on adjacent walls - (granted, 8 freaking colors!) that they promptly corrected.

Really minor but frustrating issues with the job; nothing fatal, but details. Perhaps this is what happens when you have a job finish on Saturday at 3pm - sortof the "beer can in the Chevy built on a Friday" myth:

Upon completion, we had the crew install our purchased door knobs - they biffed that up completely, installing locking hardware on closets and passage hardware on bedrooms. A number of places have some visible dripping. One section in the garage was completely missed (the header above the door). They didn't reconnect the garage door, leaving us to do that. There are a few places (detail spots adjacent switch receptacles) that need to be touched up. My favorite screw up is a few doors that were replaced with hinges install backwards - so they didn't open nor close all the way.

The crew is coming back this week after closets and carpet go in to touch up. James has assured us everything will be corrected at that time.

All that said, I'd use 3 High again because the price differential was so wide vs. his competition. I can stomach a few teething issues for $3k. Just monitor them, keep in constant communication with James and QC the hell out of the job afterwards. Basically, be your own GC and enjoy the margin.

Wanted to get folks thoughts on painting ceilings.  One of the painters that we got a quote from recommended painting the ceilings as well (50% lighter) than the walls to help our crown moulding stand out more.  Has anyone painted their ceilings and what do folks think about that recommendation?

I just discovered that Brandon from Perfect Painting cheated me out of my paint.  He diluted MOST of my paint with water!  I am doing a touch-up job right now and the guy is having trouble because there is so much water inside my paint. 

Anyone know what I can do about this?  Adding too much water to paint changes the make-up of the paint which explains why I never got the color I wanted.  Hence my walls came out so peach and pink.

All I can do now is strike out my review for Brandon and take it as a lesson learned.  Anyone that went with Brandon from Perfect Painting should check their left over paint bucket and see how much water is on the top.  If you see a lot of water then he also diluted yours as well.

Perhaps that is typical for some painters but had I known that I would have gone with another company, like Xenak which would have guaranteed the color I wanted.

ZeroLot said:
I just discovered that Brandon from Perfect Painting cheated me out of my paint.  He diluted MOST of my paint with water!  I am doing a touch-up job right now and the guy is having trouble because there is so much water inside my paint. 

Anyone know what I can do about this?  Adding too much water to paint changes the make-up of the paint which explains why I never got the color I wanted.  Hence my walls came out so peach and pink.

All I can do now is strike out my review for Brandon and take it as a lesson learned.  Anyone that went with Brandon from Perfect Painting should check their left over paint bucket and see how much water is on the top.  If you see a lot of water then he also diluted yours as well.

Perhaps that is typical for some painters but had I known that I would have gone with another company, like Xenak which would have guaranteed the color I wanted.

So sorry to hear about the paint job.  Never heard of painter dilutes paint with water before and that explains it why you never get the right color.  Just out of curiosity, what does "too much water inside the paint" looks like?

BTW, Mr. ZeroLot is off the hook for wrong paint color right?

My neighbor did warn me about painters doing this so I think it's a common problem, but I wouldn't have imagined it done by a reputable painter. She told me she always buys the paint and gives it to her painter or goes to the store with him for the discount.

Is it diluted or just not mixed?

When a paint can has been sitting for a while you have to reshake/mix it or you get that inconsistent viscosity.

I think my painter may very well have done the same thing but in the end I was pleased with the look he achieved.  i haven't tried to touch up yet but that could indeed be an issue on the lighter paints.  Will have to do some touch up in a couple weeks when I have wiring done for my ceiling fan so I'll see how it goes.

ZeroLot said:

I'm surprised to hear this, as I did not have this issue with Brandon as far as I can tell.  Colors matched the paint chips, and I actually even reused the leftover paint for a separate DIY project.

lnc said:
So sorry to hear about the paint job.  Never heard of painter dilutes paint with water before and that explains it why you never get the right color.  Just out of curiosity, what does "too much water inside the paint" looks like?

BTW, Mr. ZeroLot is off the hook for wrong paint color right?

A painter friend came over to patch up a couple spots.  He looked inside and about 30% or more was water in the leftover paint bucket.  Paint sunk to the bottom and he had to use a big piece of wood to stir.  Took him about 10 minutes just to create usable paint.  He said it's common for painters to dilute paint but he said this is way over done.

He couldn't grantee that using the leftovers would match the original because that much water degrades the paint too.  He's right because the spots he fixed is lighter than the original.

As for Mr. Z, he's only off the hook a little.  He should have watched them more closely or at least bring up the paint looks off.  Can't believe you remember that Inc!!  lol

Smashed said:
ZeroLot said:

I'm surprised to hear this, as I did not have this issue with Brandon as far as I can tell.  Colors matched the paint chips, and I actually even reused the leftover paint for a separate DIY project.

Did you check the big main bucket?  Or just the smaller 1 gallon buckets?

ZeroLot said:
Smashed said:
ZeroLot said:

Did you check the big main bucket?  Or just the smaller 1 gallon buckets?

I used paint left over from a 5 gallon bucket.  I did have his crew do another coat in one of the bedrooms since there was a picture frame effect around certain trim areas - but I haven't opened any of the left over 1 gallon paint cans.

Hi
This is Brandon from perfect painting
I'm so sorry to see this issue
But I want to tell you about this issue
We never put the water in the paint
I knew if we put the water in the paint , that paint doesn't cover well
That means we have to put more coats to cover old color
then we should spent more time and pay more labor
we wouldn't do that like that cheating way, not save dollar money. 
if the paint we left over were sitting several days, paint sink bottom and resin look like water stay top of the bucket, resin looks like water
Resin make paint stick on the wall.
if you want to touch up, you should shake very well or stir paint by stick very well.
then you can touch up well or color would be different
Also some area you patched needs put primer first and after dry perfectly and touch up twice then color would be same.
if you do touch up patching area that you do not put primer, patching material soaked paint then color doesn't match.
if you want us touch up and fix these issue and let us know
we can fix them for you.

please let us know, if you have any issue

perfect painting said:
Hi
This is Brandon from perfect painting
I'm so sorry to see this issue
But I want to tell you about this issue
We never put the water in the paint
I knew if we put the water in the paint , that paint doesn't cover well

If that is true then someone's story is incorrect.

#1 - I had a painter swing by to do a quick touch up job on my dry wall and he was the one that notified me about the excessive water in the paint.  That painter does a lot of touch ups and says he's used to diluted paint. However he said what he saw in my paint bucket is on the excessive side.

#2 - I immediately called my friend I referred that also went with your company and he told me he witnessed your crew adding water into the paint.

#3 - I am the first to recommend your company on TI.  So obviously it's brought you a lot of business to the point where you would register here to make a post to counter my posts. 

So let my clarify that I am merely posting my experiences and opinions.  I am not attempting to slander your company in any way.  But based on my first two points, I do suspect there was excess water added into my main paint color.  Whether you're aware of that I do not know. 

However since I do a lot of reviews on TI I will not hold back info on my experiences. I keep things as honest as possible. 

#4 - I have discovered that diluting paint is a common practice by some painters. The way to test if the paint has been diluted too much is during a cleanup session on the walls.  If the paint peels then it was way over diluted.  I am NOT saying that Perfect Painting has way over diluted my paint because NO paint has ever peeled during my cleanup sessions.

I am only stating what I have seen in the bucket and the opinion of another painter while he was working with that leftover paint.

Hi
I'm so sorry about this issue despite you recommend our company to TI
but I can tell you truly we didn't intend to put water to save the paint.
That kind of behavior doesn't help to save the paint and money much, I thought
I asked my painters about this issue and they said
they did not put the water in the paint bucket but in some case,there are two reasons we put the little water, not much you mention are
1. For the final touch up to finish by roller and brush on the wall, we put a little water to erase brush mark and roller mark,
if we use original paint for final touch up then show brush mark and roller mark
Most of painter used this way, but not that much water you mentioned, just little

2. Incase using spray machine to paint, we put a little water(very little) to protect the  spray machine because spray machine might be stuck by original paint is so sticky

also sometime painter doesn't care about touch up paint left over well then touch up paint wouldn't be match.

I wish you should let me know first, if you have this kind of problem you notified
I can explain to you about this issue and we can take care of this touch up problem

I thought the painter who did touch up for you try to touch up first time, you said Color came out different
That means didn't shake and mix well enough I think
It is hard to touch up some area like new dry wall and patched area even for us to use the paint left over ,if the paint was sitting long time.
Touch up is very sensitive to use old paint. some case we paint a whole wall to match color for fixing area

Please let me know truly if you need our help to fix this issue and I am willing to delivery new touch up paint for you.
also I want to look at that paint has a lot of water by myself or not

Also I can give you any warranty to have any paint problem of your house in the future
but I'm sure there won't be any problem of paint at least within 10yrs
I never have any claim about this issue since we've been business for 15yrs.

Please send e mail to me or call me to fix the touch up and need new touch up paint.
I don't really want my company got this kind of reputation I didn't manage our company like this
Sometime we might make a mistake but not intentionally try to cheat to our customer

Please be understood our truth

Sorry for this issue again

Brandon

Back