Interesting event for the outdoors club this time around...

<strong>Have any of you ever heard of the outdoors club? outdoorsclub.org

This is one of the recent events posted.... Hmmmm sign of the times....</strong>

This is a Walks and Outdoor Social Events activity.

Dear Club Members:

The following event has been planned in your area from 2/24/2009 to 2/24/2009

Region : California

Event title : Laid Off Workers Unite for a Walk and B!tch Session

Level : Beginning

Number of spots : 30

Event Coordinator name : XXXXX XXXXX

Email : XXXXXXXX@XXXXXXX.com

Description :

Put a hold on your job searching for a few hours and meet up with fellow laid off/unemployed/under-employed individuals. Walk, network, share stories, offer encouragement and vent.

We'll meet at the parking lot of Aliso Woods Canyon trail in Aliso Viejo at 9:00 am. Free parking is located on the street or paid parking for $3.

Wow.. I have never heard of this group. I'm planning to launch something similar (the club, not this particular event) for our community here. ;)

LOL! :lol:

This is a pretty cool group... I am on their notifications list for events, since I attended a few Kayaking days out of Sunset Beach last year. Usually they post things like walks/hikes, kayaking, skiing, beach parties in the summer etc. But, this one was very different then the other events they posted. Thought it would be interesting to share, considering all the discussion we have on unemployment numbers... and the dismal look for 2009.

I just crossed out the email and name for the posters privacy... as I hope people would respect mine as well!

GITOC

Zov-

I could totally see you in this group! It's a very small fee to join... where as meetup.com usually has no fees. But, they have great activities and even trips. I've noticed quite a bit of cross posting between meetup and the outdoors club. Many people are members of both, and ultimately post in both websites.

My friend which you met at the great park recently, goes to the kayaking events with me.

You should do something like this for IHB! Then there would not be fees (except the event of course!).

GITOC

Cool! As soon as we get some event leaders and activities, I'll post a message on the forums about it. It isn't as nice of a website as that site but it should get the job done.

zovall,

the whole idea of the ODC website is that it allows volunteers to lead activities that they are interested in, and use the website as a tool to attract like-minded people to share them with...

I would encourage you to use the website as a tool to organize your events.

We started it over 10 years ago, now, and have almost 5000 participants, mostly in SoCal (but there are also chapters in other locals).

Similarly, I encourage the rest of you, if you are interested in doing anything somewhat active (as GITOC said, the range is from strolls along the beach to weeks long backpacking trips) to check it out: http://www.outdoorsclub.org

(you can also play detective, and find out my RL identity!)

Hey freedom,

It looks like a great site and club and some of those events seem like a lot of fun! I will try to take advantage of some events in the near future. What I have in mind for the IHB Club is similar in some aspects but a little different in that it would be inclusive of adventures that are not necessarily outdoors (such as wine/beer tastings, ethnic dining, etc.)

hah, actually an "indoorsclub" sprouted off of outdoorsclub a few years back. I don't know if they are still doing things or not.

One added lagniappe: CR occasionally goes on ODC hikes, and you might get an interesting conversation if you are lucky.

Back